Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭highdef

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"They/Them" has been used since the 1300's as a singular pronoun for a person whose identity/gender may be unknown, such as referring to a person at a distance for example; "They are standing over there beside that tree", "I do not know them", "Their coat is brown".

We all use it regularly even when the gender of the person is known. "Where are they? They said they'd be here by 9!" is equally as valid as "Where is she? She said she'd be here by 9!" If anything "they" might be easier to say than "She said she'd..."

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

No, it is generally used for referring to objects. In English the proper pronoun for a person whose gender you don't know is they/them. Has been for about as long as English has existed. As Penn pointed out you used it that way yourself without even realising it. For someone whose gender doesn't neatly conform to the male/female dichotomy, or for whom their gender is private and they don't want to share, they/them remains a perfectly valid English construction.

If you object to using they/them for the singular don't try and pretend it is because it isn't "proper English".

So if a person wishes to be called they or them in the 3rd person, does that mean that the person does not know his/her own gender? If a person is biologically male but identifies as female, would addressing that person as she/her not be more accurate. I can understand to a certain extent the they/them addressing if the person identifies as being genderless, however and of course in the case of the pupil in Multyfarnham, that person may well not identify as being any gender in particular. I don't know the details of that, perhaps it's being purposely being kept out of the public for some reason.

But why hide your gender? What is the reason to keeping it secret? Is there a stigmatism to saying you are no gender rather than being a particular gender even if that gender is not what you biologically are? I'm a male. If I felt that I was female, I would consider myself a she/her. I wouldn't want to be called a them/them as it sounds very ambiguous. Again, I'm learning here so appreciate all the answers/feedback.

• Advertisement

More "beliefers" turning up, I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

For the people that prefer they/them the ambiguity is in fact often the point. A lot of people who use those pronouns are non-binary, which is to say that they don't feel like they are either male or female. If they don't feel like they are either, it makes sense that they might not want to be referred to as either. Others are fine with using either he/him or she/her. Some would even add they/them to the list.

None of which violates the "rules" of English.

Assuming it's not a typo, what on earth is a beliefer?

Great stuff, thank you for that reply. So it is generally people who identify as no gender that prefer the use of they/them when they're being addressed in the third person. Understood now.

Personally, I cannot understand why someone is unable/unwilling to be either a male or female but what's critical is that's my personal opinion and everyone is entitled to their own opinion and they should be respected as such, as long as they are doing no harm to themselves or others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Karppi

• Advertisement

Boris and Donald refer themselves in the third person. Not the greatest role models, to be honest

Someone who has beliefs, but isn’t prepared to be pigeonholed as a believer? 😀

It's a play on words about all the lads who jump in talking about how this whole thing is only about his beliefs. I didn't think it was that subtle a reference. Scroll back a few pages if you're new here to the "trolling for Burke" stuff.

Apologies, I don't do very much social media bar WhatsApp for messaging and Boards.ie, for the past 20 years. Plus I only do mainstream media for my news.

Enoch is a gobshite, I would imagine the majority here think similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,339 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Personally, I cannot understand why someone is unable/unwilling to be either a male or female

People don't like being pigeonholed and labeled. It's like saying you have to be either a conservative or a liberal when in reality it's not that simple. You can be a mix of both (depending on the policy and you can change over time) and there are plenty of other nuanced options as well, from fascist to anarchist.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ah yeah, no apology needed. I just made the word up about an hour ago. It'll take a while to get into Oxford.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I don't think Enoch turned up today. He better have a good excuse or a note from his Mom!

"I" can't see why being a certain gender is being "labelled" or "pidgeon holed".. It's not as though being one or the other gender is associated with some sort of stigma, notwithstanding times past (and to some extent, still at present) however that is a whole different topic.

Why are some people making such a big deal about being (or being not) a certain gender? If someone has a penis and you define them as being male but then, another person has a vagina and you define them as female, what's the big deal with that? It's not pidgeon holing.

I have two pets, one is a cat and one is a dog. They are the labels that are given to identify them when not using their "assigned names". I love both of them and they're both treated very well. What's not to say that I consider them not to be cat or dog because I'm not comfortable with those labels being applied to them and I prefer to use the term "Cog" or "Dat" or whatever to describe them both? This may seem silly to some people but my cat and dog are treated like they are my children (I've no offspring) so would myself labelling both of them as being essentially the same be considered strange?

Please elaborate, in relation to the above response to "gormdubhgorms" post that you quoted. I'd like to further understand your short reply that doesn't give any specific details as to what you mean in your response to gormdubhgorms. gormdubhgorms went into quite a lot of detail in his/her post however your reply seems very masked, pun intended.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Wow! I know his brothers and sisters have biblical names but do they all think along the same lines. I mean do any of them take a drink or party or do they all believe their purpose in life is to be praying and basically waiting to die!

More "beliefers" turning up, I see.

And more of the disingenuous posts, repeating the same questions that have been addressed in detail a dozen times already.

It's so transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,339 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

There are certain characteristics associated with genders that people want to avoid.

It's the same when someone labels you "Brittish" - even if you're not bothered or offended it's still bloody annoying.

Cats, dogs, penises and vaginas aren't labels and don't define character.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No. "It" isnt appropriate as it refers to a non human and is dehumanising.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Somebody that previously wasn't, but then saw her face?

I think you are over dramatising this to be honest. Its not a huge impact to refer to people respectfully with their preferred name/pronouns. Look at Mary Butlers 80 something year old Mother. She is perfectly able to treat her trans grandson with respect, dignity and compassion. The majority of people are also perfectly able to do so.

Most binary trans people are happy enough with using male/female pronouns. The use of they/them pronouns is mostly for non binary people. The numbers of people who identify as non binary are tiny.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yes; generally a trans woman would prefer she/her pronouns and a non binary person would prefer they/them pronouns.

Terry Pratchet

It can mean lots of things. It generally would mean they are non binary and dont identify as male or female.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,690 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

In your small bubble maybe. But outside of that bubble the reality is different you casually throw around phrases like binary and non binary as if it an everyday common garden discussion.

The reality is the whole discourse even is a brand new phenomenon for most of the world. Which again leads me back to the reality that if most people see a trans person they think him/her. If you are really honest about it.

Which defeats the whole purpose of the trans person requesting a they pronoun in the first place.

As the whole premise of transgender people is that others have to at least ‘play along’ with the language to humour a minority at the very least.

If a minority groups existence is dependent on the affirmation of the world at large (however sincere/insincere) I am not sure such a minority group can ever really exist independently. It makes no logical sense to me.

I can’t think of another minority group that has this strange dichotomy.

In order to exist as how you view yourself - the world must say ‘yes that is what you are’.

And you even admit those who want to use ‘they’ pronoun is even a minority within a minority in the trans world. That makes it even worse!

As for those who were him and now want to be referred to as her or vice versa.

The issue is similar but not as pronounced as there is no new invented pronoun.

Does the outside world really believe that the him is now her? Or vice versa. I don’t believe so.

I feel in a way it is almost patronising to trans people to say ‘yes of course you are’. While not really believing it.

The whole issue reminds me of the film Babe where the Pig thinks it is a sheeppig.

But the reality is shattered for the pigs mental health when the Pig realises what most humans do with pigs.

Fundamentally the Pigs (Babe) self awareness is all dependent on how the world perceived it. In the end the Pig cheats - wins and everyone lives happily ever after..

But unfortunately for trans people the world is not like a children’s film where such affirmation is freely given without question- sincerely. That is just the reality.

And I just can’t fathom how trans people can live in such a world where their view of themselves is wholly dependent on others. Normally an individual finds strength in themselves or their community.

And does not need outside help for their very sense of self identification.

I don’t get how it will ever work nevermind an extremist like Burke.

But there are much more vast numbers in the world who don’t sincerely buy into the whole trans construct language and so on. And if it is not sincere or a truly held belief by the world at large that yes a trans person is now him/her or even they.

How does the whole premise or belief survive independent on it’s own?

When the general world populace does not sincerely see what the trans person believes they are. No matter how they refer to them.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement