Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

In fairness there has been a history of good auld Irish criminals heading off too Holland and further afield to step up the ladder of their chosen profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Maybe we can get on to Rishi and see if he’ll let us in on the Rwanda deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

We need to get a grip.

The state needs to limit numbers coming in for bleeding obvious reasons

The protesters need to protest at the department of Justice rather than acting like rent a gang outside tents etc

The Státe also needs a dedicated site to deal with misinformation on refugees

• Registered Users Posts: 82,408 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why the Department of Justice?

Why does the Dail get off?

If you want something done go protest the Dail Bar...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

Have you any figures for refugees to be more likely in employment than natives?

Here's an article that states immigrants are twice as likely to require the government to pay the rent.

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-quinn/huge-scale-of-immigration-is-making-our-housing-crisis-worse-35498057.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

This is a Republic. The people are sovereign in a Republic. They have the right to protest peacefully wherever they please. That's how it works.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Registered Users Posts: 82,408 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nobody said they didn't have the right?

All I did was question the sense in protesting at the Department of Justice and not the Dail or Dail bar, at the lawmakers who actually set the nation's immigration and refugee policies.

If you have the right to protest at the Dail Bar? I'd protest right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭MagicJohn

The passport destroyers can be arrested and detained for doing so.

Why isn't this being done?

Responding to a question raised by Matt Shanahan TD regarding claims that up to 40% of asylum seekers destroy or refuse to hand over their passports on arrival in Ireland - Helen McEntee responded with the following:

“I can inform the Deputy that in the first nine months of this year, 3,705 people arrived undocumented in Dublin airport. While these passengers should have presented documents at their point of departure, they were no longer in possession of those documents when they reached the immigration desks at Dublin airport.”

Under section 20 of the International Protection Act, those who have destroyed their identity documents can be arrested and detained. 

The question that arises is: were any of these 3,705 criminals arrested?

If they could use that site to add information on the nationality of those on housing lists and in employment I would agree.

Misinformation works both ways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

They feels it.

Besides the Irish Times, RTE, Independent, The Journal, media celebs, college lecturers, former refugees themselves, NGOs all say refugees (i.e. anyone that turns up from anywhere claiming they were mistreated and in danger) are all great and anyone that disagrees are racist fascist knuckle draggers.

Sure the African lad that was videod abusing and threatening sexual assault on those state employees is misunderstood and only needs to be fully accepted and integrated.

Then this time next year he will be out marching in the Pride parade, raising money for the rape crisis centres and doing a feminist course on trans rights.

It is actually moronic in the extreme the shyte that some people seem to believe and a total disconnect from the reality as played out throughout Europe.

There is a certain arrogance that these people can be suddenly changed by us.

And why do some Irish people continue to believe we are different to everywhere else?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

Plenty of protests have been staged outside the Dáil. Nobody cares, least of all the shower inside the Dáil. You are starting to see plenty of soundbites coming out from those in power questioning where protestors should have the right to protest. Senators such as FF's Malcom Byrne have recently proclaimed they want to see laws enacted to enforce such measures. So he is literally saying they shouldn't have the right. He'd want to earn his gold plated crust and realize he can't enact such measures. Because like I said, this is a REPUBLIC. But sure like I also said, the shower inside the establishment don't care, or don't even know what they are dealing with.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I didn’t say it should entitle you to a house. You are losing the run of yourself.

Housing :

Dictionary definition….

houses and flats considered collectively.

ie. somewhere to live.

” same entitled ones “…. , you know them all ? :)

of course no sense or sign of entitlement of non citizens just turning up and wanting cash payments weekly, free healthcare, free public transport, AND somewhere to live, ie. ‘Housing’.. despite having never paid a cent of tax here ?!

we need more of looking after the wellbeing of citizens and prioritising their / our needs..

your native scum’ comment says it all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

apply limits to the numbers of people coming here seeking help, we can provide ALL of our citizens with 100% of what they need

So we just get rid of asylum seekers the country will be perfect.

That is next level dangerous delusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Seeing as that fella in Kill was arrested and charged for threatening to burn down the asylum centre, I wonder was the man in that video arrested for threatening to rape and murder those women just doing their job? I would hope so. Both equally despicable acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭trashcan

If someone claims asylum at the airport they can’t be denied entry to the State. In fact, the Minister is obliged to give permission to remain until their claim is decided. It’s the law of the land. Section 16.1 of the International Protection Act 2015. Otherwise Immigration officers can, and do, refuse people permission to land on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

🤣

As if Ireland never had any backward views on women. Its only 4 years since the 8th amendment was repealed.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Yep, it’s great we have a modern view towards women nowadays isn’t it.

So why do you want unlimited importation of people that have a Stone Age view towards women?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The "Rwanda deal" is actually probably leading to a jump in our numbers

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Very hard for the protesters to deny charges of racism or xenophobia when they are directly confronting refugees who have come here. If you are shouting "Get them out" at refugees in their place of residence, you are more than likely a racist.

• Advertisement

Between 2000 and 2021… the success rate for asylum applications in Ireland was 39.3%.

So that finding was the vast majority of applicants, did not meet the criteria… is fact were bogus.

that surprised me… in a sort of jaw on floor manner…. That every 100 people who seek asylum, only around 39 are genuine, way less then half.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I welcome EU migrants.

I welcome returning Irish emigrants.

I welcome genuine refugees.

I reject bogus asylum-seekers.

Am I a xenophobe? I welcome foreigners who legally immigrate here, but I reject those who illegally immigrate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Unquestionably yes; you are an irredeemable xenophobe.

Furthermore, you’re a racist, a far-right loon, and possibly a tinfoil hat-wearing conspiracy theorist, who goose steps around his home for fun!

There’s no point trying to extract logic from some ‘contributors’. If you’re not on-board with the agenda, you’re immediately dumped into the basket of deplorables. Nuance is not something in their wheelhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭creeper1

Amazing that this government is actually doing one thing right even if it's a bit late.

They are actually going to resume checks of passports at the bottom of the steps as people disembark.

It's unbelievable that migrant charities are opposing this. It's the absolute bare minimum expected of any travelers. Also there are no direct flights from Mogadishu etc to Dublin. They are flying in from London, Paris and other European countries.

Agreed…but it’s more tokenistic I’d say….can’t meet every flight… these folks or a lot certainly are not looking for protection just a better life and opportunities … The migrant charities and enablers just have to be seen to be making the right noises. The noises that appeal to the interests and people of the demographic of people they serve.

its $$$$$$$$ to them.

theyve little interest in what’s right and proper.

you won’t flush a passport down an aircraft toilet too handy…..but it will disappear in a toilet in the terminal before they encounter arrivals handy enough or be cut up and binned without trace…hence the ‘effort’. It will be more a type of ‘GNIB theatre’… then an effective manner to stop bogus arrivals.

You don't actually believe this will have an effect do you? It's completely toothless.

In the face of the largest wave of migration from non EU countries to Ireland we have less people processing claims than a few years ago. Its absolutely mind boggling to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

• Registered Users Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

So you admit we have progressed as a country with views towards women.

So I am not sure what point you are trying to make or what makes you laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You don't actually believe this will have an effect do you? It's completely toothless.

It isn't actually, it's highly effective evidenced by the last time it was done.

Not strictly legal though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

There is a very good article by Michael McDowell in today’s irish times.

I usually think he is a tool but trust me he makes some good points.

Basically anybody asking for asylum with or without documentation are required to be processed.

However the government could decide on a quicker process for those without documentation.

Obviously the system needs reform and like many areas of the public sector - grossly under resourced

However its amazing what we can do if we want. Look at covid.

The Irish immigration service is a joke when it comes to deporting people. Locating them etc

Advertisement