Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portmarnock links

Options
  • 31-01-2023 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm thinking of joining, What's the course like? Is it easy to get on the timesheet? An other info. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

I was thinking of joining too. I want to pick a club for life and it's the nearest to me and the course is fantastic. They're doing work to it at the moment, but the couple of people I've spoken to are very optimistic about what they're doing to it, as in it'll make a great course even better. I know a few members and have never heard of them giving out about getting on the timesheet.

However, I'm probably going to go elsewhere even though it's walking distance and one of my favourite courses. It's just not geared towards members. Currently they've 2 holes closed, 3 temp greens and 2 temp tee boxes. Due to be completed in may. And they raised the membership fee this year! I'd be very concerned about what that says about their attitude towards members. I'd say they wanted to do a bit of a clear out to make room on the timesheet for green fees. And it's just no way to treat members. On top of that, I'm thinking of a long term club in case my kids are interested in golf. I hear the children's membership is 850! Aside from how outrageous that is, they'll have no junior members with that rate. Which I assume is the idea.

In fairness to them, they're running a business and just trying to make as much money as they can. It's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Depends on what you are looking for, at €3500 per year it is expensive.

it’s a very good course that will get better with the new 6 holes, due in summer this year.

Getting on the tee sheet is not really a problem, member comps every Wednesday and Sunday.

I am pretty sure there is no junior rate available.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭swededmonkey

I was on the waiting list to join this year until I was quoted the fees. I couldn't justify the spend to play once a week and twice max during the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I was interested too a year ago. But it's sounds like the situation in there has been chaotic recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Thats mad money imo I wonder what The Old Portmarnock is? But The European club is only €1,200 a year and one of the best courses in the Country but there is a big joining fee there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

It's who you know in Portmarnock, not how much money you have. The fees in Portmarnock are similar to The Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Interesting article on Portmarnock just published yesterday for anyone interested.......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

While they're all top courses, The European would be too far outside Dublin to be comparing fees imo. Portmarnock(s) have a massive population base within range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

anyone know the cost of joining Baltray? I would rate it well above the links and even if it is a spin if you are close to the M1 it should be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭swededmonkey

taken from their website - you will need to join a waiting list

• Full Membership - closed currently   
    • 5 Day - closed currently          
    • Overseas          
    • Pavilion             
    • Student - closed currently            
    • Junior & Minor - closed currently  

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

It's c.10k hello money and just over 1k subs according to a neighbour who is a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

not too bad - course is fantastic. Facilities look only okay though alot of work in progress last time I was there

I think they're for 2022. I got an e-mail from them in January saying that they were expecting slots to open up in the 5 day and 7 day categories.

To be honest, I don't think there really is a comparable course to assess what the prices are like. In terms of course quality - Royal Dublin is very comparable (based on reputation, I haven't played it) and close by, but it's a members club. So in their case getting the max possible return from the club isn't the goal. In the case of the links, it pretty much is. I don't know they're annual membership rate, but I'd assume it's a lot lower.

Doonbeg is the most similar I can think of, but Portmarnock Links is in an infinitely better location. It's about 20 minutes from the airport, has a very nice hotel on site, is beside arguably the best course in the country, has Dublin city a taxi ride away, and within half an hour has Royal Dublin and the Island, Kileen Castle about 40 minutes away (I assume the Nicklaus name will be very attractive to Americans, plus it's a class course), Baltray and the European within an hour and a half too. The potential for making money must be insane from tourists. If you compare;

1. 4 mates who might be members there and play every week - the hotel will get €14k from them in membership. Maybe they'll get another thousand from each of them from bar food and drinks, proshop, etc. So about €18k per year (€346 per week). It's a decent chunk of money, but your giving up a line every Sunday morning for that. Compared to....
    2. 4 Americans who come over for a golf holiday with their wives. 4 double rooms for 3 nights in June is coming in at €3,732. Add in the cost of golf, evening meals and drinks, spa treatments - it would easily be worth €5k to the hotel. And on the course you're giving up one line on the weekend.

You can scrutinise the numbers all you want - I reckon the average member probably plays less than 52 times in a year and a decent chunk of them will be at times where they wouldn't fill the timesheet anyway. But whatever way you look at it, if you were to manage the resort you would make damn sure that you have times for hotel guests and green fees willing to pay a grand for the line. €3,500 per year might seem high, but that might very well be the right price at the moment to keep the number of members that they want. And if it's not, they can raise it or drop it next year. If things change in the economy, they can do what they want with the rate and with the green fees rate, etc. I just think looking at the club now, that it's no longer what it was to Irish golfers. The GUI rate was great, the membership was expensive, but for what you got if you were getting a bit of use out of it very justifiable. It was basically very accessible. I imagine far fewer Irish golfers will be playing it over the next few years.

And this is all fair by the way. If I owned it I'd be trying to get as much money out of it as possible. Especially after the hit they must have taken during Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

A pic from this morning of much of the works going on at the course. Exciting times and following in the footsteps of the likes of The Island, Narin & Portnoo, Castlerock, Tralee and even Royal Portrush with significant upgrades. You could add Royal Dublin to that list although the upgrade focuses on the bunkering.

(Pic taken from my return flight)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I know golf course designers know what they are doing - but I often find holes that are proposed to be changed - are often the ones I like the most.

Another issue with Links courses is - I tend to begin to like them more and more the more I play.

But - change is part of life and has always been a feature of the top courses and even the oldest courses.

But - at the end of the day , this will be another course out of the range for the average and even passionate golfer. A list in Ireland that is sadly getting longer and longer.

Great pic Kevin.

Here is some notes for context

Golgraffix - I'm sure it will be fab. But were there any members , going I loved X hole ?

It must be kinda sad if say a hole you had an eagle on - or even a hole in 1 - or won a match is gone.

Just a strange concept to me. A lost hole. But I guess , you make new memories.

BTW - some picture from a flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

As a member I am sad to see the old 8th go, its a really good match play hole and the green was one of the most "interesting" one we have! but the changes when seen on the ground look fantastic. The new 12th green/green complex is sensational, and the new layout removes internal OOB that came in from the challenge tour when we hosted it on 12/13fairway. 13 is going to be a monster par 4 now, blue tees 480+ metres from there! 🤢 (must be one of if not the longest par 4 in the country when it opens)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I don't get a lot of these redesigns, okay the ball goes further now but not for everyone so why push a green further back and then make it 60yards in depth (Rosses), it all seems to be about making the course harder for the elite or scratch golfer who are in the minority.

If it was me, I'd open it off the tee to make it more playable, less lost balls, speed up the game etc. then bunkers and run off on greens, won't slow things down and requires short game skill but still manageable by mid/high handicapper (a three putt won't take anywhere near as much time as provisionals and looking for balls of the tee)

But what do I know, lets keep making monster holes where GIR is impossible for nearly everyone.

Don't even get me started on 200yd+ par 3s

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I really liked the 8th too - but I like sort of eccentric holes. If I'm being honest , from a design perspective , the green was very unfair. Having to land a ball in a sort of snooker table area with spin to hold the green - or get lucky on a short one.

I seen a few of the changes up close today - they look unreal. But as mentioned - they are altering a part of the course I liked. But - I'd wait to see the final outcome.

Some of the new holes look like they will be too hard - but depends on tees - and how rough ends up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

I agree I like quirk too, sure who said golf was suppose to be fair especially links golf!

yep the course off the back tee will be a serious test most definitely a championship caliber test, I think the new design has friendly tees for our American guests to enjoy the course and keep the pace of play relatively up come the summer when the rough will be up!

The course re-opens tomorrow with 5 new holes and two holes with new tees.

Changes look great, the new 9th is a cracking par 3 looking straight out to sea.

The one hole I was not sure of changing was the 8th, was a quirky dogleg but the new version is a really fine looking hole with a really nice approach.

1st comp tomorrow so we will get to see what the playability is like.

I can't wait to try it. I'll have to get on to the brother in law to take me out for a spin before number 2 arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Advertisement