Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i think louth are uch better then any team that got promoted to division 2 in a few years bar derry , they played with way more intensity then the likes of offaly or down who got relegated last year ,so to come back from that position is a good sign for the rest of the league for us

i am a bit more optimistic myself , i think we have beaten limerick, kildare and cork at least 3 times each over the last 6 years and all 3 are home games , there was only one point between ourselves and meath in the last 3 meetings of the two sides ,the target is still 6 points really and with 3 of them 4 games at home i think we will do enough again

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

The Louth midfielder that got injured against Clare the last day did his cruciate and is out for the year. Its easy for the likes of me to sit up in the stands and be critical, that is an horrendous injury. A lad that had massive work put in, to be in tip top shape and then to be cut down in the first game. Same happened Tipps Conor Sweeney last Sunday.

I was critical of Clare last weekend but in reality it is a great time to be a Clare football supporter a 7th season in division 2 is something you wouldn't even have dreamt of a decade ago.

I hope they take a few scalps in div 2 and the players can avoid any major injuries

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Last week was huge in my opinion, those were the kind of games we used to lose the whole time, up for the whole game only to lose to a stinker at the end. This game is also huge in the bid to stay up, lets be honest staying up is our aim, maybe if we get lucky we might be in with a chance of going up but in reality it's about getting players expierenced at playing at the highest level and staying in Sam Maguire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Clare hurlers playing Westmeath at 2pm on Sunday.

Not much talk of it, and I haven't seen any team named yet either.

What we do know is that Lohan never put much stock in the league and I guess this year won't be any different. Potentially we'll only see the likes of Tony Kelly, Shane O'Donnell and co. only coming back a bit later in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Niallers87

I would be thinking the fringe players will be getting a run out, the likes of Adam Hogan and Foudy should get more game time. Aiden Mc and Peter Duggan definitely need game time to sharpen up and we also defo need to try out cover for number 3 and 6. I know Lohan is targeting the Munster league, so the focus should be on building squad depth

• Advertisement

Foudy injured, but is getting very close to being a nailed on starter , taught Nolan would be tried at 3

Good to see the likes of kirwin and Conroy start both have been excellent at club level for a while now

Smyth from killenana is unlucky not to start, taught he was good in the Munster league, big six weeks now to get everything right for championship

Problem is unlike the football at least two big guns will be gone from the championship by may , where's the top 8 in the country in football are guaranteed a place in the sam McGuire, teams can go for it that bit more in football

The gaa need to be a bit more clever in there fixture planning for championship and move forward the Munster championship until the first week in may at least , and run it off over 6 weeks

As it stands the league and Munster championship are the same length in competition time wise pat Spillane calls the new structures "speed dating " I agree it needs to be tweaked at the moment the league is just a warm up competition it seems

clare 4-27 westmeath 0-14

i imagine brian lohan will be fairly happy with how the fringes of the panel are taken shape , excellent performance agaiin today by david conroy in center forward , adam hogan brandon o connell also looking like serious options later on in the year , tough day for westmeath . killian doyle had a tough second half on frees missed 3 or 4 he would like back again for there work rate at the back they deserved a higher scoring tally ,

mark rodgers and aidan mccarthy did huge damage up front , peter duggan and ian galvin both struggled at times against their men , debutant jack Kirwan worked hard but struggled at times with the pace of the game he will come on for it in time , Delighted for fellow club mate gearoid o grady coming on and getting on the score sheet at the end , great to see lads back here making an impact on the team , a huge plus for future generations back west

clare scorers

A McCarthy 0-10, 5f

M Rodgers 2-02

I Galvin 1-03

D Conroy 0-5

A Shanagher 1-0

D Fitzgerald 0-03

B O’Connell 0-01

D Ryan 0-01

G O’Grady 0-01

S Morey 0-01

Meath 4-8 Clare 0-16

Another gutsy but error ridden performance by the footballers by all accounts , conceded a soft enough goal with the teams 1-2 to 0-2 then conceded a 3rd goal immediately after putting 9 points between the sides with 20 ,minutes on the clock , in fairness they out scored the home team 0-9 points to 0-3 before jason scully found the back of the net for the 4th time , again in the last 1/4 clare out scored meath 0-6 to 0-2 to leave the scorline respectable looking ,

but in truth colm collins has a huge problem on his hands with us conceding goals , 5 against derry last year 4 today and again david sexton pulling off two point blank saves , only positive from today is we kept it respectable looking on the scoreboard , big game in the park in two weeks time now against kildare

clare scorers

Emmett McMahon 0-5 (0-3f),

Gavin Cooney 0-3 (0-2f),

Mark McInerney 0-2 (0-2f),

Jamie Malone 0-1,

Dermot Coughlan 0-1,

Aaron Griffin 0-1,

Pearse Lillis 0-1, P

podge Collins 0-1,

Darragh Bohannon 0-1.

The defending/goalkeeping for the first 3 goals was like something from an underage club game. The game was effectively over after the third goal. Look the heart and commitment of this team can never be questioned. But errors or poor decisions leading to goals is a common theme with this outfit. Derry last year leauge and championship, meath in the leauge last year, Kerry in the championship the year before etc. etc. The conditioning of the players is top notch and they are tactically sharp on pressing kickouts and turnovers, but basic errors at the back and lack of killer instinct up front are haunting them.

The amount of chopping and changing that has gone on with goalkeepers can't be helping the situation. Stephen Ryan is back from injury and has a few years experience and it looked like he was going to be the number 1 but for whatever reason they have gone for a new man instead. I would like to see Igrem getting a good run in the side, he brings that strength and steel that is badly lacking in this team.

I also feel that players from certain clubs are getting far more game time than their form warrants, I might be wrong, but if that is the case you are at nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

Speaking of Clare goalkeepers I see Killian Roche is playing with Laois. Some amount of goalies used since Joe Hayes retired.

Pierce Deloughrey

Eamonn Tubridy

Killian Roche

Tristan O'Callaghan

Stephen Ryan

Robert Eyres

David Sexton

Killian Normoyle

Tom O'Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

6 Clare lads featured for UL tonight. Ciaran Downes, Emmett McMahon, Daniel Walsh, Aaron Griffin and Ikem Ugwueru starting. Brian McNamara came off the bench. Ciaran Downes had a great game scoring 1-3.

Post edited by Gael85 on

i think the best goalkeeper in the county available to us is starting at the moment , killian had lost his place to former minor inter county goal keeper mark lillis at cooraclare a few years ago , fair play to him getting back at inter county level , i think the biggest problem in the past was goalkeeper coach declan o keefe , he was insistent on us having a roaming keeper which turned out to be a disaster , joe hayes is now goalkeeper coach this year , in the louth game our kick outs had improved drastically on last year

i would stick with sexton he's young in fairness but looks better then any of the players on that list

there was a write up in the examiner after round 1 of the league , that compared the fortunes of clare and cork going forward , while more was required of cork , the report went on to say that we had maxed out and were playing at our limit , i think we reached it years ago with brennan and tubridy still playing

back then we had several inconsistent days , a hammering in navan , a really drab effort against fermanagh , a really poor performance in mullingar against westmeath , and a poor effort up in newbridge , and a game in roscommon where we failed to get on the score board until the 57th minute most of these games in and round rhe 2017, 2018/19 league campaigns

we have had many days on the road especially where we looked poor but as the report in the examiner said when we max out its enough to get enough wins in the league to stay up and pull off wins in the championship likes of Roscommon and meath , maybe the reason we never kicked on again another level is probably down to the fact we dont have enough to reach it

Funny thing is out of all them players, downes is struggling the most when it comes to inter county, the other 5 have taken to the next level like ducks to water

He mainly plays in a central position either midfield, center forward or full forward at club level, and now as an inside forward for UL , Collins has him on the wing alot and he seems to be struggling with that position, I won't give up on him yet but it would be great to see him turn that sigurson form into intercounty especially like McMahon has done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Strong Limerick team named for Saturday night. I hope Clare name a strong team aswell. It could be a great game. I'm interested to see how the guys get on in the full forward line

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭square ball

It takes some players time to adapt to pace and physicality of senior intercounty. Emmet McMahon struggled to impact some of the Clare games last year and was flying in the Sigerson.

Ya would agree with a lot of this, we have lost generational players in the 2 that you mentioned and also Gordon Kelly who I believe had a Roy Keane type impact on the team in terms of demanding certain standards.

It's been remarkable management by Collins to have a team maxing out as you put it, no more can be asked.

One thing I would like to see is a bit more, physicality, badness, dog how ever you want to put it. We didn't lay a hand on Derry last year, we didn't put one of them down the ground with a bang of a shoulder when they were leading us a merry dance.

I feel the Sigerson is over rated and nice footballers can prosper in it and Collins is wedded to players who have come through the development squads.

I see Colm O Rourke has brought in a few hardy 26/27 year olds who haven't got much chance at inter county level.

Maybe this is a route we could explore, I just feel we are way too nice to play against.

its hard to know what to expect , the game in the munster championship is going to be huge , its only 8 or 9 weeks away how much do you want to give away , its a big night for the likes of conroy , arron fitz ian galvin and even peter duggan , duggan looks out of form , and as far as pecking order goes the other 4 will just about make the bench , galvin wont start ahead of the likes of meehan or o donnell or mccarthy come championship

big test for kirwan , looks a really good player but needs more games at this level , if he plays well tonight he will start the rest of the league in my opinion

Haven't seen much of Kirwan at all. Iv heard he's good. It's mad that a fella from Parteen /Shannon Banks hasn't played for Clare seniors in 40 years.

Big day for Duggan. For me , he doesn't have enough freedom in full forward and isn't a Gillane type. He just doesn't suit the position even though you'd think he should. Aaron Fitz needs a big game. His hurling is suspect under pressure ..at least it has been.

Ian Galvin needs to affect games more..dunno if he can up it at this stage. Talented guy but probably squad member from now on

2 strong teams named . It ll be an interesting one. I'm back from the UK especially

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

just curious who was that Parteen/Shannon Banks player from around the early / mid 80's ?

No idea ..naoise Jordan lived there but I think still played with Tubber.

That Clare performance was atrocious. Please God it was a Ger Loughnane type insanity.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Tonight proves that Limerick have a bench for the championship and we don't.

Not yet anyway, huge improvement needed by some of the fringe players over the next few weeks, a full strength forward line come championship looks strong, but if we get injuries in the half back line we are screwed

Wouldn't worry too much about the performance bad and all it was I would prefer to get spanked like that then put out our full strength side win and learn nothing

Duggan seems to be trying but big improvement needed to get back to the form of early championship last year,

Not good nights for Aaron fitz , paddy donnellan even Cathal Malone was poor, I expect a backlash for the Wexford game but I would prefer to see it without Kelly, Shane O'Donnell or Meehan,

Morey at wing back the next day for me we need extra options there , a return for Adam Hogan too should be on the cards

Middle 3rd in general needs to be sorted out

Aidan McCarthy looks very assured with the frees, could be that TK is taken off the frees in the championship. Duggan will not be starting unless there’s serious improvement in his general play.

Clare’s performance not a huge surprise, reminded me of the opening game in Cork last year, or in Antrim the year before. A bit disjointed with lots of new faces, which is OK. Lohan knows hot to get the team right for championship.

Limerick were sharper and picked a stronger team than I thought.

Our half back line were a bit all over the place, we need to nail down no.6 ahead of championship. Can’t rely too much on Conlon at this stage.

btw , did anyone else think the referee was extremely whistle happy (for both teams)? Which also sort of killed the momentum of the game

None of the new players really staked a claim, you’d have to say. And largely the point of the league is to find 1 or 2 lads to push into the starting 15.

But it’s not easy when the senior lads alongside them aren’t going well either.

to start with limerick are a machine , they won an all ireland without cian lynch last year , look how affected we were without kelly fully fit in the wexford /kilkenny games , or even the effect on the tipperary team without Callanan last year . lynch is probably better then both and they didnt miss him

they now have boylan coming of age and mike Houlihan's young lad looking like a real prospect these boys are going no where

but like the cork game last year i wouldnt worry but as you say , it still highlights how much we need the marquee players , one or two injuries come summer and bye bye , i dont think McCarthy could cover kellys absence on his own he would need strong help from rodgers and meehan in the scoring stakes

the biggest worry for me last night was the half back line , and 2 of them 3 are starters come championship aaron fitz was always a fringe player .

i dont think lohan was overly keen on Kirwans performance against westmeath from what i hear , it was a big ask for paddy Donnellan to come in with no game in weeks it was also a slightly surprising selection

james ownes was the ref , always trigger happy , john keenan got a raw deal after the munster final last year much better referee in my opinion but according to the referees accessors lets too much go , Ownes is the croke park rule book on two legs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

When it comes down to it Kelly, O'Donnell, Reidy, Rogers, Duggan and McCarty will be our forwards with others rolling in and out. Lohan gave Davy Conroy the full game last night which was a good move. Add in Shane Meehan, Shannaher and a few others and the forwards are strong.

David Fitz will move back to Mid field or even Centre back if Conlon needs cover. Our biggert issus is how to work as a unit to beat the Limerick unit work. Chasing shadows and leaving a man open to take a ball in space, and an easy score.

Our biggest issue is that we haven't added or developed a centre-back replacement yet.

The other question is why is David McInerny taking line balls from Centre back? No central player should have to be used to take a line ball. Shape, structure and support have to be maintained.

being honest i would go with meehan and rodgers up front , maybe maybe mccarthy full but dropping out the field , kelly 11 o'donnell and duggan on the wings that is as good as any forward line , but its back the field the problems lie

i would agree with fitz moving back if needed , he needs to be tried there again , playing Diarmuid ryan in all these games is proving nothing hes the only guaranteed starter in that line in my opinion

lohan cant afford to get his match ups wrong again like last year , that game against tipp is huge for us ,if we lose that we are under huge pressure in my opinion

• Advertisement

It’s lads who have been in the panel already for a year or two who hopefully push the starters. Guys with some appearances from the bench, plus the extra year of S&C and experience.

Mounsey, Donnellan, Meehan, Crotty and so on…even Rodgers. Still plenty time for them over the course of the league, and during training sessions and games.

Morey is also an interesting addition, interesting to see if he can still offer something in senior championship

Advertisement