Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'd be fascinated to see what percentage of posts in this thread are blanch throwing shade at SF and showing full-throated support for the government and FrancieB doing the exact opposite. Last time I was on the site was December and ye were going back and forth and I see nothing has changed in the past month!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Did you miss where I called for sanctions on SF over their expenses lapse? No excuses made, no deflection.

The problem here is the constant deflection to SF whenever the government are in trouble. It has of course just happened again when the Greens continued support for a government party and Minister who ignored the fact that they were doing something they knew was illegal and their callous disregard for survivors of M&BH's was the topic of a post.

'but SF' is not the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

"Did you miss where I called for sanctions on SF over their expenses lapse?" We missed the bit where you called for Mary Lou to explain how she could afford her mansion in Dublin on such a small wage at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,621 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yes, we actually did miss it, because you spend a lot of time just copying and pasting news items of the day from Twitter and having a go at the government. Tomorrow it will be another tweet about something else.

Not really much of a discussion now is it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Final warning. @FrancieBrady @markodaly @blanch152 @anyoneelsetemptedtojoinin Either take the bickering elsewhere or I'll ban the lot of you. It may be your idea of a good time. It certainly isn't anyone else's.

Warning applies to all threads, not just this one

• Advertisement

I have some respect for Michael Martin even if i disagree with him. Instead of trying to winkle out of this by claiming he didn't know about it, he looks like he is going to defend it. We'll see how that fares out.

But as these personal stories begin to tumble out it is going to be an uphill battle to not ship a lot of electoral damage.

Simon Harris contradicted by the evidence. He and McEntee were not just 'briefed' they also reviewed and rubberstamped the strategy as recently as 2017

It was previously reported that ministers Harris and McEntee were briefed on the strategy but the newly disclosed record goes further saying they confirmed the policy following a review.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The performance of the public finances continues to astound. A surplus of €2.8 billion in one month is fantastic.

When you consider also that the numbers on the Live Register continue to fall, huge credit must go to the government for the way they have managed the recovery from the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I'm not so sure. Really depends what they do next as in the past such bonanzas have been squandered. Bit about "Inflation is the main driver in the increase in VAT receipts" could really come back to haunt them.

Last year they made a surplus, put money into a reserve fund, brought down debt and introduced some one-off measures to address the cost-of-living issues. You can't ask for much better than that, and it is far better than governments in the past have done.

• Advertisement

Yes, lots of potential pitfalls ahead. People will be more concerned about the debt burden I imagine.

That is some debt all right, it is considerably higher than the UK national debt per head of population and most countries around the world. Incidentally, the N. Ireland share of the UK national debt would be about 75 billion (assuming in round figures say 1.9 million people by €39,200 debt per capita). In the hypothetical event of a United Ireland we would I am sure inherit the Norths share of the UK national debt. ;) Will cost another few billion a year just to service that.

I heard other news on the radio this morning about all the marches around the country against the immigrants, like the demonstration in Mullingar last night in Mullingar. An anti-immigration protest was staged outside Columb Barracks in Mullingar against the planned relocation of 120 asylum seekers to tented accommodation inside the former military installation over the coming weeks. 300 people, made up of mostly local people but with a strong Dublin contingent, marched from the barracks shortly after 7pm and made their way through the centre of the town, halting traffic and chanting. Imagine if our emiogrants in the 50s and 60s were met with demonstrations like that wherever they went, hordes of people shouting no foreigners etc. I have relations who went to England many many decades ago, they say they never came acrosss any anti Irish discrimination at all. If the Ukranians were bombing pubs and hotels here I wonder what it would be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We can afford a higher debt burden than most any other Country, its not a concern.

When the likes of Britain and America are properly struggling with debt servicing, holders see the likes of Ireland as a very safe refuge for new paper. We have a churning economy, our deficit is nil and we'll be trading our way out of excessive debt very impressively over the next decade.

Sure how many times have new issue calls been oversubscribed in the last few years, 5x,10x?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

The biggest problem with this statement is quite apparent if one only looked at who the governments of the past were, Blanch.

Hardly a shining endorsement to say, 'well they're not quite as sh*te as they were'.

As always, my caveat that I certainly don't think SF are the answer, least of all when it comes to the economy applies.

More detail on Harris and McEntee's knowledge of what was going on. Quite clear they were not just 'briefed' on the secret strategy.

So ireland is different to other countries, sez you, we can afford a higher debt burden than most other countries sez you. That reminds me of people saying in 2007 we would not have a property crash, sure Ireland is different...."its not a concern".

€1 in every €4 of all tax collected is now from corporation tax payments. The concentration of these receipts within a small subset of firms, in an even smaller number of sectors, adds to the concentration risk. Over half of corporate tax receipts in 2021 were paid by ten large payers, primarily in the pharmaceutical, ICT, and financial sectors. These multinationals who are so critical to the economy are ditching employees, while the other EU countries still allow them to launder foreign profits through Ireland / witness those brass plaques in the docklands?

Very fragile situation - give it a few years when SF and their comrades may be in power and taxing "the rich". At least at the last crash we had low levels of debt but now, when the next crash hits, we won’t have the room to borrow for everyday expenditure. Even with the prudent government we have had these past decade or more. All SF do is lambast the Government for not spending more. Will SF encourage more of the rich to flee? Since 9/11 Americans have little time for terrorists and their apologists, especially left leaning ones. Can SF even come clean and tell the truth about even simple things long before they are elected? Was G.A in the IRA? Were the Columbia 3 bird watching? Would you trust them to run the country?

Has another Taoiseach withstood such a litany of revelations? Hard to see a road to recovery for him.

You have hit on a real problem. There is a real risk that Sinn Fein will scare the pigeons so to speak, and they will fly away.

The resulting crash will have been all of our own making, which makes it worse than any previous economic shock, which were all due to external factors.

Of course, we are in a democracy, and if people want to vote for that potential car crash go ahead, it will certainly be a wild ride but a bit like getting into a car with a drunken driver, you might get home quicker and safely, but that ditch looms larger.

Holly Cairns was succinct and damning in reply to FG's Barry Ward's excuses on Upfront last night. It really should be a watershed moment in Irish politics and the constant pretending to be in favour of reform or a 'New Politics'.

I don't think it will surprise anyone that the AG has found in favour of the government here. This will cause more anger and damage to the government IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

She doesn't impress me. You like her Francie because she talks to your biased agenda.

If my 'agenda' is being a voice for those callously treated by the state, happy with that agenda TBH.

I don't need to like a politician to appreciate something they do.

Another welcome move by the government to reduce the cost of compensation due to the compo culture in Ireland. There will be some lawyers fearing this, no wonder they have been so desperate recently digging up old controversies chasing ambulances.

Over to the insurance companies now, this is delivering what they called for to reduce premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Wasnt impressed with SFs health spokesman this morning on Newstalk. Ciara kelly gave him a fairly good hypothetical situation thats analagous to the private vs public care home stuff and he just refused to accept it with no reasoning. Basically the scenario was if someone asks for surgery/treatment from the public health system but its booked out for the forseeable future the state isn't going to be liable for them to go private and expect a repayment.

While I sympathise with the people who ended up in the situations I don't see how the state is liable to repay these people if there were no beds available in the public nursing homes and the people were forced to go pay for private care.

Obviously those who were asked to pay for the public care should absolutely be repayed but there are two separate categories of people here and the issue with the former just doesn't make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Pretty clear that's what the legal advice to the government was. There is always a risk that you could lose a case like that, with the court implying some constitutional right (hence why I am so wary of putting more rights into the Constitution), and if you did lose one, you could end up paying out hundreds of millions. Definitely the correct course was taken at the time to protect taxpayers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Do those entitled to free travel get a free taxi when there is no public transport available for them?

I didn't think so.

The state has always taken the 'contest' route instead of 'comply' in issues that cost the public purse, with likely ongoing liability for similar cases - whether it was IRA pensions in the 1920s and 1930s, or medical negligence cases in the current iteration of this policy.

Baffling decision for FF at the current time and given the scrutiny ethics in Irish politics is getting.

Embarrassing for the Taoiseach too as he compared Ahern to John Gilligan at the time. Seems everything is ok if it is 'historical'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

SF wouldn't countenance allowing people with highly questionable histories be part of their party, right...

Advertisement