Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s the obstacle against downing illegally flown drones?

Options
  • 08-02-2023 9:44am

In past and recent times Dublin Airport has been intruded by drones vexatiously flown, likely with intent to disrupt air traffic. Why all the hand-wringing by the authorities, including Eamon Ryan. “We can’t really bring them down”. I mean what precisely is stopping this happening considering the technology exists to track and disable them. If I were to breach the perimeter fence of Dublin Airport the authority would not be long in stopping me in my track. What’s the difference between me and a drone?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

They should have a system that hi-jacks the signal from drones and makes them land in a predetermined area where staff can take the drones in and trace the owners and start issuing fines etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You can't fly and potentially threaten an aircraft OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,383 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The fees and chance to be caught are so low it encourages scrote agendas for all sorts of protests, it should be a minimum of 5 years in jail for first offence and 25 years for 2nd given the costs and safety risks associated with it.

• If this were the Liveline thread I would say “I know dat! I know dat! I know dat!”

We know it’s illegal, it’s in the thread title, it’s the disabling of illegally flown drones that’s at stake.

• The ingestion of a drone into an engine could cause a catastrophic failure and cause a fatal accident to an aircraft, that’s how serious the consequences can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

The obstacle is the will to do it. They have it in place in Gatwick and Heathrow since the last debacle. The usual 'business case' probably in place here.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭moonshy2022

I don’t think anyone knows what’s going on in Ryan’s head so we are beyond the realms of guessing. I’d suspect it’s the fear of the drone falling from the sky on to a person or persons or property or moving vehicle causing a loss of life.

Overall I’d suggest this is simply people flying their drone initially for fun to have a look at the airport from above but that has now developed in to lads doing it to be the cool kid in the gang saying they shut the airport down. This is Dublin after all where brain dead people have thrown buckets of paint from flyovers on to cars, rocks through windows, pointed lasers at drivers on the M50 etc etc.

Everyone needs to get serious and quickly about this matter before serious damage is done or loss of life occurs. There has been multiple confirmed drones that have affected aircraft in or near Dublin airport over the last 2 years. I’ve seen many on social media say “there’s been no pics so therefore it isn’t true”, it 100% has happened on multiple occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'd ban them altogether, except for use by strictly controlled and licenced businesses.

Fecking annoying things - I go up the hills from time to time for peace & quiet. Then you find gobshytes flying these whining things around.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Get Real

Theres a few issues at play here and it's all down to politics.

Firstly, the IAA are the authority over drone use in this country and issue drone licences. They also have the power to prosecute illegal drone usage and have done so in the past (news articles on Google)

Then we've the DAA who run the airport. Neither the DAA or IAA are state funded, earning their money from airlines and commercial activities.

We've had drone issues before but no equipment to jam the signal of a drone and command it to land since. I suspect neither of these bodies responsible for drones and the airport, want to fork up the money for such a system.

They are waiting on the govt to act andd enter discussions on the issue.

We've seen the red "no drone" signs erected at the airport in the media of late. Red ones with the IAA logo. They quote a statutory instrument.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/si/563/made/en/print

This gives the IAA power to prosecute illegal drone use. It doesn't say they can take a drone out though. Again, the IAA have distanced themselves in the media from this and talk about the guards. Who don't have any more legislative power than the IAA do.

Finally, if well organised, this person could be tuned in to Air traffic control. Fly the drone up for 30 seconds, once it's reported by a pilot etc, brng it down, disruption & mission accomplished. You're not going to get a target on it within 30 seconds.

Which brings us back to drone jamming technology as the only long term solution and that is a financial football at the moment.

Edit to add: I'm unaware of the penalties in the SI but I can already presume they're fairly watery. Even if they were hefty, highly doubt anyone will get anywhere near the penalty for a first offence, as with everything.

Post edited by Get Real on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

any idea what the penalties are for breaching that Si?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Kurooi

I really hope law in the future allows for shooting those things down over any private land, regardless of whether you're IAA or not.

It's an entertaining, fun outdoors hobby I get that. Just do it over your own land, or a public space, and the hell away from the airport.

Also jamming them should not be illegal. If you want to fly your drone that's good for you, if I want to fly my jamming signal that's good for me too :p Not sure why we assume drones have rights.

Aren't these drones not geo-fenced to prevent them from flying near an airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Kenny Jacobs on the radio this morning explained that in the case of LHR & LGW it's the Metropolitan Police that have (been given) the power/authority to bring them down using jammers etc.

It can be done, it just comes down to how you set up the legal framework to implement it, as in who yo0u give the power to and how it's defined. It needs to be on a solid legal basis, which is why it will take time. We are rarely fast at this kind of thing in this couuntry.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Get Real

Sorry ohnonotgmail I couldn't off hand find the penalties but I suspect they're not that tough

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Years ago I read a very amusing AAIU (Air Accident Investigation Unit) report which concerned a remote control model aircraft which by sheer fluke landed on a runway at Dublin Airport, reported by an airline pilot who was approaching said runway to take-off. It had been flown by a someone at club operating from Phoenix Park, and had broken loose from radio control. Pure coincidence had it landing at the airport, causing some amusement as well as inconvenience. The report format was precisely the same as for an aircraft transporting humans. Engine cylinders examined, ailerons, elevator, pilot’s medical status, meteorological conditions.

That was unintentional, but now the power is with any scrote or malcontent to wield power to completely stop air traffic for a while. Any grudge against airlines, airport, environmental factor, VIP arriving etc, can be appeased by intruding on airport activity, in the hope of likely not being detected at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

DJI are, but I suspect cheaper 'toy' models aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

The land may be private, the air space above it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Applying your logic to aircraft generally and you'll see where it falls down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I think a plane would have to come down and be broadcast on international news before the government does anything.

External affairs they will drop billions on it. Throw it on the national debt. It's like they get embarrassed or feel they have to act like grand states men. They dropped billions on single use questionable plastic during covid and shut the country down. Happened overnight.

Internal affairs - prevent, reduce, stop anti social / terrorising behaviour - screw it. Nothing done. It would be peanuts compared to the cost of covid and the benefits are huge, long term benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Kurooi

I disagree, because aircraft, ships, cars are regulated, registered vehicles with admin, taxes, insurance, certification, maintenance. And they carry people, who have rights.

Drones can't be both treated as toys when it comes to regulation, but extended rights as if they were something more. If downing a drone is to be treated like downing a plane then drones need to be equally regulated to one. Otherwise they are toys and we don't need to apply special laws to them.

On a side note, by all means if an unregistered , unmanned plane makes it's way to Irish airspace please I hope to God there is a procedure in place to shoot it down. I very much hope the logic applies just so.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

I've just had a great idea for all the guys who want to shoot things and the guys who want to fly drones.

Kind of like hunter v hunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Drones are regulated, register and licensed. So kinda I’d debunks everything you said there.

Paying vehicle tax and insurance isn’t the reason why you can’t shoot at places or cars. So not really relevant. Neither is maintenance, strange one that. You would be permitted to down unmanned vehicles, so also irrelevant.

Some flying objects may have to be dealt with. But by the authorities, individual land owners as it flys over their gardens. That’s the point, it’s not your airspace. You dint hold special rights over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

if remember this incident correctly, the army wouldn't shoot because if the bullet missed it could end up hitting something/someone miles away.

it's not as simple as shooting it down.

army patrolling the perimeter would probably sort it.

• The thing about airspace over, eg, your a back garden, do I legally have the right to fly my Parrot drone over my neighbour’s back garden, say at 20ft, a height low enough for the drone’s camera to take pictures through the back windows? Btw I live in an apartment, purely theoretical 😂

Does my neighbour not have some right to the space over his garden up to the level of his roof? I think there are probably no regulations governing this whatsoever, but I stand to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

Technically, it would be difficult to down a drone. You can't shoot it without endangering people and planes around (bullets fired up do go down). Jamming their signal means potentially interfering with aircraft comms. Shooting a net to capture a drone only works for very low flying drones.

A large catcher drone would work. But assuming an 8-hour shift, you would need at least 3 drone catcher operators employed by the airport. Probably it is not worth it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you have no rights to the airspace above your property. nor rights to the contents of the ground below. if the neighbour was using the drone to film you then you could probably get a restraining order against that.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The current legal issue is that the drone is private property so even if it is downed and the owner prosecuted, its still his gear, same as having you car towed, still your mo-mo.

There was a case where a farmer took the 12 gauge to a drone and he was done for damaging private property.

As noted earlier Ryan will wait till an Airbus 380 goes down before anything is done

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Advertisement