Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

some like givenergy only work with their batteries.. i have givenergy.. no problems with it but id like the option of trying different batteries/diy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Ginger83

. .

Post edited by Ginger83 on

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

If you don’t care about the grant and you got / can get an electrician to sign the NC6 application and do the bit of work to wire up and issue a cert for the new circuit that connects your inverter to your consumer unit you’re in the clear in terms of getting up and running and getting paid the FIT.

You need to be aware of some regulations about installing some isolation devices / switches, etc… for safety on the DC side of things that you should do correctly for your own piece of mind more than anything else.

A huawei inverter shouldn’t cost an extra grand in the first place. A 6kw huawei hybrid costs 1100 plus VAT at either 10% of your an installer or 23% for everyone else.

Would like to know the details of the installers plans to get you up and running with 2x6kw inverters that keeps you within the rules of ESB networks.

Do you have 3 phase power? This would allow you 11kw of inverters; and you could use the 10kWh huawei 3 phase unit which is only 1300 plus vat. Which would be a good match for 11.4 Kw of panels. I have a 28 panel setup done this way on our office. This can all be handled via an NC6 application. Maybe you could upgrade your supply to 3 phase and just use one of the phases with your existing install. Then technically you’re all good; even though it’s a bit of a hack and you could hook your inverter to all 3 phases between the meter and your consumer unit.

If you don’t have 3 phase they could also be doing an NC7 application which would allow you 17kw of inverters. 950 euro fee with this route; maybe that is factored into the costs? There is another aspect of the NC7 route that you are eligible for a guaranteed payment of 13.5 cent per exported unit for 15 years. This is currently less than the market rate for the FIT; but that may not always be the case.

Another option is NC5; which allows you to have as much panels / inverters as you want; but with 0 export. So it’s prob not this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭grimeire

Well the Zappi charger itself is nearly €900 so at least with the grant i am getting 600 back. I will have an electrician doing some work on my place in a few weeks and he said he would fit the charger as long as i supply it. What i can not understand is how the cheapest company is charging me 900 including vat for the car charger and fitting and its the same model Zappi 7kW when i can not find it anywhere for much less than 900. How the heck are they making any money from that? Its a separate quote too than the PV panels so its not like they are marking it down as they are making more money from the PV panels.

Yeah the higher quote i got they are saying the same that their stuff is better and he also said the app for the Huawei inverter is the best. I have a few huawei things so know their apps are usually half decent but not sure what i would ever even need the app for since its just converting power to be stored in a battery. If it means only Huawei batteries then ill forgot about that or ask him for another inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Check it's the newer version of the Zappi that has the built in 'Hub'. Basically that means it allows multiple My Energie devices to connect (like Eddi). You'll need that so they know which is the master and which gets the excess and how much excess. Without that you need an older standalone 'hub' device from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

App for the Huawei inverter is grand, does all you need. But it's not 'the best' whatever the fe3k that waffle means :) I use the login on a browser as easier to read on the computer screen. It's basically a read-only view as you aren't changing inverter configuration. Won't let you export data (need an installer account for that / one with more rights). But can see what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

Are you sure they are charging you 900 for supply and fit, maybe they are taking the grant amount, so it only costs you 900 and they get the 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭smax71

I'm considering running with this quote but wondering if worth adding a 2nd 5.1 dyness for €2.5k? Seems a lot so wondering would it be better to leave and add later DIY if prices came down. Any issues with adding a dyness DIY?

• Advertisement

If you can afford it I would add the extra 5kW of battery if you need it. Just figure out will 5kWh get you from sunset to sunrise or do you need more.

Create your own installer account on fusion solar portal and request the installer to migrate your “plant” into your account. It’s none of their business accessing your data or controlling access to your equipment once they have completed the install.

My day usage in summer is between 10 and 11kw, increasing to 12 to 14kw during winter. Am I correct in thinking that a 10kwh battery charged overnight plus generation (8.4kwp south facing) should cover majority of daytime needs even during winter?

My nighttime usage is a lot higher with EV and HP as well as timed appliances. During summer its approx 25kw increasing to approx 42kw during winter. Could probably reduce the summer time night usage by load shifting, eg ev, but no choice but to continue on grid for winter nighttime generation.

Well you need to be careful that you don’t end up charging your cat with the energy you have stored in your battery.

You’re there or there about with the 10kWh for winter daytime. On a bad day you might generate 1kW; on a good day you might generate around 8, so it all depends.

im assuming your on some favourable day / night rate at the moment from the way your taking. Just be careful as that isn’t gonna last forever for you. You will eventually end up on a smart meter with a relatively short window of night time cheep electricity so I would plan with that in mind.

when you throw a heat pump and EV into the mix even a well sized solar array like what your planning seems to be tiny.

I assume the car is always away from home during the day?

@HotSwap - good point, I'll need to look at zappi settings, I think it can be set up to take charge from grid only but it's not something Im very familiar with.

I'm currently on energia ev plan so nighttime rate is good but of course once contract runs out that will increase substantially. You're right a smart meter plan will be substantially more expensive for me as currently approx 65% of my electricity is on cheap night rate.

At present, the car is at home quite a bit during the day so could be charged by solar during summer, but this may not always be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Rogtronic1

Hi all. I have 3 quotes I'd appreciate some advice on :)

10 x Denim Glass to Glass, Mono Crystalline 400w PV Module (with 35 year warranty)

1 x SolarEdge Inverter (with 12 years warranty)

10 x SolarEdge S440 Power Optimiser (with Arc protection & 25 years warranty)

1 x SolarEdge 10kWh Battery

1 x SolarEdge Import / Export meter

1 x Wi-Fi Kit and Free Monitoring Portal for Life

€19,200 after SEAI Grant

10 x Denim Glass to Glass, Mono Crystalline 400w PV Module (with 35 year warranty)

• 1 x Huawei 5kW Hybrid Inverter (with 12 years warranty)

• 1 x 5kW HV Li-ion Battery (with 10 years warranty)

• 1 x Huawei Import / Export meter

• 1 x Wi-Fi Kit and Free Monitoring Portal for Life

€12,700 after grant

13 x Jinko 415 Watt panels

1 Huawei 5kwh battery

3 kW Huawei Inverter

€14,220 after grant

I only have my system since November and have a 9.5kwh battery. Most days I can get from 8am to 11pm avoiding peak usage. Some days in December I ended up with an empty battery around 7pm. If it rained all day etc.. I'm tempted to add another 5kwh for insurance but it doesn't make financial sense. Let's say that I used 5kwhr at 50 cent kWh for worst case 90 days of the year. The darkest days. That's 225 euro. Would take 10 years for a 5kwhr battery to pay for itself. At which point it probably be dead anyway. I've 4kwp south east, 3 kwp north west hardly generating anything since November Looks like each day it's doing more and by March will do a a lot

Do you have significant shading issues; are they putting panels pointing in multiple directions? You would be getting a class setup with quote one; but it’s clearly expensive. You will get panel level data about your system; and the battery has great performance in terms of discharge rates (up to 7kwh for short periods of time). Ask for them to specify the capacity of the inverter.

By the looks of it the second quote is from the same supplier? And I note they have not specified the huawei optimisers; so I assume they are not needed on this install. Get them to give you a price for a 10kWh battery. The huawei battery expands in 5kWh modules. So you can expand it easy in the future if you leave enough space. The main difference between the SolarEdge price and this will be that the SolarEdge requires each panel to have an optimiser; where as with huawei it’s optional. Get the price for 10kWh and then at least your comparing like for like. Your discharge rate from the huawei will suffer if you only have a single 5kWh module. Just fyi.

3rd one seems like a different supplier? If they can fit more panels on i’d also be asking quote 1 and 2 to match that number of panels; you want to max you your roof if possible / what you can afford. But they are matching a 3KW inverter with 5.4 kWh of panels; so prob best to avoid them as they seem a bit stupid. For the minor cost increase of going from 3kwh to at least a 5kW or 6kw (you might as well max out your allowance). Your discharge rate would be limited to 3kwh here; which is a major limitation. I’d ask them to up the quote to a 10kWh battery and a 5kW inverter. And then you can compare like for like.

remember your gonna eventually end up on a smart meter with just a short night rate of just 2hours.

That’s only one side of the calculation. You should also consider in summer getting from sunset to sunrise using only the battery.

let’s say 1st April. Sun sets at 8pm; and doesn't rise till 7am. Can you make it 11 hours with 9.5kWh?

Already on smart meter and charge as much as I can between 2 and 4am.. at 10 cents kWh and 20 for the rest..

• Advertisement

Our night usage is about 200 watts per hour. I don't mind paying for that at 20cents kWh for most of it...if I can avoid peak usage and run more washes during the day from solar and cooking etc as we move into spring/summer. At the moment have battery set to only discharge from 8am... To maximise the night rates. I'm thinking I'll let it discharge from 7am in a few more weeks and see how it goes

Prob just configure the battery to “charge from grid” during the times you know you’re gonna be charging the EV. That way the battery will be trying to charge / hold it’s charge. This works in winter…

In summer when you would typically be wanting to discharge the battery at night maybe it’s ok to dump it all into the car; but maintain enough to cover yourself for the morning breakfast peak incase it’s cloudy.

these are very much 1st world problems :)

Yeah. It’s a good call holding the charge during off peak.

You could try to get a wash in between 2-4 am also :) and the dishwasher. But in fairness it’s kinda not worth living your life like that. You can only do so much before it starts to have diminishing returns.

if I have a spare bit of cash I’ll defo max out my battery to 15kwh though. Just for the extra ability to not have to micro manage it so much. Maybe that’s where the investment pays off; not finically; but in the fact that you don’t have to be constantly fiddling with settings.

On the zappi i set export margin to 100 watts to avoid using the battery for charging car..

Actually do set the dishwasher and washing machine to 2am starts.. easy enough to do once you get onto the habit.. both have a delay start option. Part of me wants to get the extra battery but at the same time I know it probably doesn't add up from a financial sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

100W doesn't do it for me, I'm testing 200W at the moment, just waiting for suitable changeable weather to see! do you leave MGL on the Zappi on 100%, it shouldn't matter but this is the Zappi we're talking about, a WIP product (sometimes I feel like a beta tester!)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Solis RHI-5G, 2 x 2.4 Pylontech, with Eddi v1 (master) and Zappi v2... so if I put Zappi as Priority 1 and Eddi as Priority 2, and Zappi ECO+ MGL on 80% for example, when the Zappi clicks in when there's the required surplus (>1120w), it doesn't seem to respect the 80% MGL when the surplus goes back down (<1120w), it then pulls from the battery up to 1.4kw. I thought setting Export Margin would prevent this but from reading the ME forums, it seems it may be a bug (others are complaining on there). it works fine when Eddi is P1.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

My thinking is that it’s an issue with the battery continually outputting enough so that the zappi continues to think that there is enough excess power to continue charging in eco +.

How many CT clamps do you have feeding into myenergy systems? Just Grid? Or grid and solar?

You can’t have a battery clamp is it’s a DC battery right?

• Advertisement

Sequence of events:

1. Sun comes out. And your pushing 1121w to the grid.
    2. Zappi clicks in and is charging car with 1121w from solar and 279w from grid.
    3. battery sees 279w coming from grid and attempts to balance it.
    4. sun goes behind cloud you are no longer generating an excess.
    5. battery responds to the fact that you now need 1121w and balances this; but imperfectly; so you are still exporting a bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement