Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey valley to start charging for parking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

To be fair there was lots of ill informed talk about a variety of things about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,213 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Seems strange about your reg plate, is there anything non-standard that might be causing it?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Old vintage plate. Silver font on black. Old Irish reg. Assumed it was because of that! Although I haven't tried the other car with the same type of plate but with a YY County XXX number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Out of interest, do you ever go through the M50 toll in your classic car, a Mini was it?

Can a private car park exclude people like yourself who drive a car with perfectly legal (presumably) plates just like that?

I would look into this if I were you. Doesn't sound right or fair to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

My other half in Liffey valley this morning. No chance I was going.

We have had issues constantly with number plate not being recognised. They now seem to have a member of staff at each pay station all the time due to issues.

So he went to pay at machine queued up and again it couldn't find number plate. Told to go to barrier and pay. That again didn't work, no one came to help. So that exit was blocked for about 10 minutes...before they had to let him out for free...the terminals at the barrier are also touch screen...which doesn't work well if it is raining...the parking system is having serious issues as expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The grace period is lip service only. If you have something on click and collect the very best of luck getting parking, getting into the store, collecting your item and getting out in 15 minutes. Any grace period should take this into account. 30 mins should be the grace period to allow for this.

I was collecting someone from the pictures and 15mins was barely enough as I had to park at the M+S carpark and they had to hike over to me from there.

Of course though that's not the purpose of this grace period. It shouldn't be called a grace period. It should be called the "minimum legal time we have to give you before we start ripping you off period".

Doesn't have the same ring to it though.

And the above just proves to me that this isn't about customer experience.

I have no issue with paying for parking by the way. I have issues with the way this has been implemented and is being enforced.

Lack of signage.

First 30 mins should be free.

Obvious issues at barriers holding traffic up.

No set down / Collection point for cinema goers.

Look the usual suspect will defend this to the ends of earth just to be contrary but it's been a mess from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Another thing that would put me off: it’s a lousy day here and the thoughts of having to pay to park in the open air is very off-putting to say the least. At least some of Blanch parking is under cover and it’s free.

And of course the trendsetter is Dundrum town center, the first of the major malls to charge for parking. All parking there is high quality and under cover and at a prime retail location. That made and makes their €3 for 3 hours quite palatable. Particularly when Tesco pay you it back if you spend €30 on shopping in there. Unlike Liffey Valley...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Compared to Dundrum charging €3 for 3 hours, what would 3 hours in LV cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭cgcsb

That's the point though. Reducing vehicle speeds and the 'flow' makes the walking and cycling experiences somewhat more pleasant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Also the thing I love about Dundrum parking is you can look down the row and see if there is a green light above a space that is free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yep. Only ever had one issue and that was the port tunnel. In fairness, I usually have a tag and didn't realise the battery had died on it. The guy asked me to call out the number plate and it worked on his machine.

Which barrier was that? Any of the barriers I've gone to doesn't have any button/ticket option, unless I'm totally blind, which means if I drive in, I sit there not being able to anywhere if it doesn't read the number plate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It was at the Marks and Spencer end, it is not obvious how they work tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Trampas

We use to go to Liffey valley at least once a month if not a few more times. Haven’t been in a months. Traffic getting in initially stopped us. Paying has also. Shops aren’t great either anymore I find

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I think a more accurate verdict of the new parking regime will become apparent once the last of the post Christmas sales/ people spending their Christmas gift vouchers etc has dried up.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out over the Spring as the cost of living crisis Contin to kick in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭emo72

I wonder did the SC owners lease or sell the car park. If the car park owners have invested millions in it, they will not reduce price. They could be a totally separate entity to the center.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,213 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Posted in error

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Senature

I was in the car park for the first time the other day. Charge for up to 3 hours is €2.50. Evening rate (6pm - 8am I think) is €2.50. This is a reduction on the initial rates right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Was there xmas eve morning and it was quiet compare to normal xmas eve. We parked at the Marks end which was quiet compare to usual xmas eve.

The atrium of the shopping centre was pretty busy but the shops were empty except for Pandora and Rituals. Marks was like a ghost town.

Didnt go near it after that, but usually keep away from the place when sales are on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well I see Golden Discs has closed in Liffey Valley so I guess the parking charges can be blamed on that. Just Golden Discs at Tallagh and Blanchardstown now both of which are no use to me.

I thought there was one in the St Stephens Green shopping centre but I guess that one is gone too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Shops selling media were always going to close anyway. Just a matter of time. I'm actually quite surprised some of them lasted so long. Parking at Liffey Valley seems fairly busy to me. That said, I have yet to pay a cent. The few times I went there for more than a few minutes, I just park at the retail park and walk the 5 minutes.

I do avoid the direct approach from the Fonthill Road as the Liffey Valley traffic lights are horrendous. They take nearly as long to change as above walk LOL. So I go in via Coldcut Road. Or even via Neilstown road if Fonthill Road is busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

One positive of the parking charge is you can now park there no problem, in the lot outside the main entrance, a decent number of spaces, was next to impossible before, so wouldn't even bother.

Number plate reading is a great thing

Didn't seem any less busy inside but only time will tell.

It's easy to park now. I registered online to pay automatically as I go. I've been there a lot and have yet to be charged. So seems to be free for me still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Golden Discs closed the small shop in Stephens Green centre but opened a new much bigger one. It's pretty much all t-shirts and vinyl though, surprisingly few CDs for sale

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ye so I heard. I suppose that's the way it's going.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Advertisement