Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2023 - Ireland v France Build-Up Thread, Sat 11th Feb KO 2:15PM - TV: RTÉ2, ITV, France2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The ref shouldn't matter.

Winners don't make excuses when the other guy plays the game (I've started watching Suits in netflix)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I dont think he does be tougher on irish sides and is there anything to back that up?

6 Nations is as important for referees as players in terms of selection for the world cup and each ref only has 1 game in the 6 nations.. 15 refs fighting for 12 places for the world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Delighted to hear that it's Barnes.

One of the best there is and good contender for reffing the World Cup final this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Two different players on two different teams with very different playing styles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

dont think he does be tougher on irish sides and is there anything to back that up?

Gerry Thornley published an absolutely mental article a couple of years ago heavily implying that Barnes was biased against us. Total hatchet job and completely unprofessional.

Absolute nonsense and Barnes is the best ref around.

• Advertisement

Interestingly, I had looked at this data point before.

It's a very simplistic data point (and doesn't really account for the fact that the bigger refs tend to ref us against the bigger nations), but of the 29 refs who have refereed Ireland international games (148 games) in that time period, Wayne Barnes would be ranked #24 in terms of Ireland's win ratio. We've won 7 of 18 games with him as ref, and lost 11. The refs where we've a lower win ratio are Angus Gardner (33% from 6 games) and Jonathan Kaplan (33% -1 win from 3 games). There are three refs where we never won a game with them reffing (Dave Pearson, Chris Pollack and Marius Jonker) but the sample sizes are tiny.

On the flip side, Mathieu Raynal is our good luck charm - Irish teams are 12 for 12 with him as referee. We're also 100% with a few others, including Ben O'Keeffe (4 from 4), Matthew Carley (3 from 3) and Nika Amashukeli (3 from 3).

As I said, win ratio doesn't really tell the full story. If I have an opportunity, I'll try to see if I can get the penalty count from those games, and then see if there is something in that data.

• Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think we're going to win this and it's going to be more comfortable than people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

Imo no France performance from this season so far (Autumn internationals or Italy also week) will be good enough to win in Dublin, they'll probably need to reach the level they did versus NZL in 2021 if they want any chance especially if Ireland show up.

Barnes has been an international ref for what, 15+ years? So his time as a ref will definitely overlap significantly with periods where we just haven't been very good. Don't think you can read into it that much, as you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

On the flip side, Mathieu Raynal is our good luck charm - Irish teams are 12 for 12 with him as referee.

It's funny, I've seen lots of posts over the years saying Wayne Barnes hates Ireland, we're screwed etc., but I've never seen a single one expressing delight that Raynal will be our ref and that we're guaranteed a win with him in charge.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's fair. They're also skewed quite heavily to the beginning of the data set (the dreadful tail end of the Kidney era)

For context, the 11 losses under him (10 excluding a Pre RWC warm up game) are the following:

Two 6 Nations losses to France away (2010 & 2021), away to NZ (2010), home to SA (2012), a 6N loss away to Scotland (2013), and four 6N losses to Wales (2012 home, 2015 Away, 2017 Away and 2021 Away). The other one is the ignominious loss to Italy in Rome in 2013.

We've had some huge wins with him in charge too - notably New Zealand twice (Aviva in 2018 and the third test last summer), France in the 2015 Six Nations and three big wins over Scotland, including the drubbing we gave them in the 2019 RWC.

I absolutely don't think he's a bad ref, and certainly don't think he's a bad ref for Ireland.

There's one game against Wales in there, the 2015 (or 2017? I was at both!) game I think, where I thought we didn't get a fair shake. All the other ones, we just lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Any potential changes for The weekend.?

Personally I'd like to see a couple.

The french pack is a bigger pack so maybe Baird if training well for POM. Or Henderson or a bierne at 6 and pom on the bench.

Also I'd like to see a change at 14 with maybe Larmour coming in and a jimmy o brien/ Osborne in the 23 Jersey.

Aki realistically could only come on at 12 the last day and that was exactly what happened even though hansen was having a poorer game up to that point than mccloskey.

I think it would be more beneficial to have a versatile player on the bench than 2 out and out 12s in the match day squad.

I couldn't envision that amount of non-injury imposed changes.

I think the pack will be unchanged. He may bring Kelleher onto the bench if he thinks he's healthy enough.

I wouldn't drop O'Mahony for this game, and I wouldn't shift to a model where we move Beirne to 6. I don't think we should adjust our style of play to try and match them where they are strongest. We should be trying to play our game and move them around the park.

Equally can't see him making changes in the back three - I thought Hansen was good last week and would be surprised if he isn't retained.

Only possible change I envisage is Bundee in at 12 for McCloskey. I thought McCloskey had a pretty good game last week, but Aki is clearly a Farrell favourite. In that scenario, I could see JOB on the bench in the 23 shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

What article was that? I've read most of his articles over the years and "total hatchet job and completely unprofessional" is not something I have ever read from him about Barnes.

If its the 2018 article you are referring to... that definitely does not fall into your categorisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Who hacked your account? This positivity is very confusing.

The bookies have us by 5 points at the moment but more interesting rugby4cast have Ireland by 15, granted in a relatively high scoring affair.

france_ireland_2023-02-11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Interestingly they reckon Scotland have a better chance of toppling us than France do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

I think we'll win this weekend, maybe even by a couple of scores. Scotland will be interesting, they should beat Wales(they've bad form here), then they'll go to France with nothing to lose. A win or a close loss and they'll still be in with a shout of the championship. That would make it a really tough game for us(i think it'll be tough either way).

It's going to be interesting to see if Scotland have finally turned a corner and will become contenders or they'll come crashing back down and blow it against Wales.

• Advertisement

If they beat Wales they are playing us for the Triple crown at the very least so that game will be a cup final for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Scotland should beat Wales. A triple crown will have them chomping at the bit.

I wouldn't underestimate them. That backline is fantastic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They'll beat us an all of a sudden we'll be seriously considering not losing a WC QF for the first time since 2007!

Hansen while good is not undroppable and was the poorest of a high quality back 3 v Wales.

I'm talking about rotation and bringing in another player to have a look at him. Larmour in my opinion is worth a look again at this level.

Last year Conway was brought in for the England game on the right wing and Earls started the first test v Nz. Hansen even acknowledged it himself before the tournament that he is not a guaranteed starter..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Interesting analysis on offtheball that statistically POM was Irelands best player against Wales.

I would have picked Doris and they did pick Keenan but on the numbers POM was most impressive.

(There is a video on tiktok)

At least two posters here would drop him for the french game, and its been a point of view that some have held (wrongly) continually for a number of years now.

Statistics you couldn't trust them... I read that 87% of stats are made up.. 😉

I heard that, I'm not really sure he explained exactly what POM did to statistically be our best player. What numbers was he referring to? I actually tried to go onto their website because he mentioned there was data on the Irish backrow but I couldn't find it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

From what I could gather this viewpoint was based on the fact that O'Mahony made no mistakes during the game.

So it seems it was a view on quality rather than quantity.

So , would you prefer a back-row that makes 4 out of 4 tackles or one that makes 11 from 12 tackles for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

What stats, do you have a link?

It definitely wasn't defense, he was 5-1, his last 3 games he's been 9-2, 4-1 and now 5-1. That's low numbers with a poor missed percentage. He's good in the lineout and hits rucks but isnt great defensively or with ball in hand(he was OK here against Wales in fairness).

I think Coombes, Conan and Baird are all currently playing better than him so to suggest he shouldn't start isn't that outrageous.

Also check player ratings and team of the weeks out. I know they're subjective but Dorris and VDF made most I seen, POM made none. All ratings I saw had him at 6 or 7 which I think was fair...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

He also said it’s about what they do in unison.

So would you prefer 3 back-rows who make 11 from 12 tackles, or a back-row unit that can tackle, carry, pass, ruck, counter-ruck, jackal, maul and jump at lineout time?

Advertisement