Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Ice tyres on the bike and down with the flu for the last couple of weeks, typical! Hopefully make it out over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

First decent day weather wise for weeks & the shaft snaps on my crankset 45km from home so had to sit for an hour for a lift. Got cold so walked on a hit to me the Mrs so cleats likely need binning as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ultegra?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Zwift is getting ultra realistic these days. First time getting a puncture on an indoor spin. I guess that is another reason for me to invest in a wheel off trainer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

^^^ you're simply putting down too much power!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

This makes me nervous of the 6800 on my bike. its around same age.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've never seen that failure before with ultegra, i'd been wondering what you'd meant by 'shaft'.

Lucky I was seated doing low rpm stuff rather than full gas sprint at the time

• Advertisement

Freak incident I’d say as I’ve a 5800 crank on my turbo bike since 2014 ish with no issues.

You could pop it out & inspect if worried?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

When's the last time you had it out?

if that’s aimed at me it was in September but honestly never checked that part just the chainrings.

i don't think i've seen my shaft since i assembled the bike three or four years ago.

Stop sniggering.

Must just be me who seems to check (not on purpose) just always seem to swapping components around.

That really shouldn't happen though.

Rusted, overtorqued on non drive side?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

All this talk of shafts just puts me in the gutter and want to talk crudely 🤣🤣

Anyhow, I got out for an hour earlier, by jeepers the wind was a bit of a fecker.

So much so that the chapelizod bypass that normally takes me 5.30 or 5.40 got done in 4.40.

It's quite gusty again this evening, so if anyone is commuting in the morning, be careful!

first time in months in shorts today, and no overshoes. 12C out. buzzard count of 3.

a chap in a 15 year old golf overtook me with probably less than a foot to spare at one point, which was somewhat energising.

a little while later, a chap in another golf passed; nothing remarkable about the pass, but it was a dirty white golf and someone had written 'CHEATER' across his rear bumper. i wonder if he knew it was there...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Very little cycling this Winter so took the spin up Cruagh to Johnny Foxes at lunch. Jaysus but the extra Winter poundage let me know it was there, huffing and puffing where I'd normally be grand. Lack of shape and evil little side wind left be about 20% slower than my times last year. Some work to be done but glad to have made it out.

First longish one in a while for me. Been mostly stuck on the trainer for various reasons. Was out before 7am and did the first hour in darkness. On the winter bike which has seen better days but still enjoyed it. Roads were dry and most of the muck and crap that was there for the past few months has dried out and disappeared. Definitely more than a hint of spring in the air. Had tonsillitis last week and just finished a course of antibiotics so started feeling the legs after about 70k. Home and hosed before 10am with 83km and over 900m climbing @ 29.3kph in the bag. Hoping to get out again on Monday all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Two firsts for me today. First time cycling in Dublin city centre, and first time using Dublin Bikes.

On the latter, it's a great facility, especially for someone who isn't from the city, so wouldn't have their own bike with them.

On the former, I only came from the Point down to Temple Bar. The bike lanes as far as Tara St station are great. Even though I was happy enough on the road after that, I could see why some people might be a bit reticent about cycling in the city

• Advertisement

I've never used one. I've used the moby bike though. Gave me a workout on my commute home

I'd imagine they're very similar. I'd describe the average speed as "pootling"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

all the hire bikes are fine for tooling around the city. I haven't tried the eBike versions but if you're in any way fit, the city is pretty flat, it's a shame it isn't a bit more cycle friendly. Yes there are some cycle lanes but you can't go any real distance without encountering a street where you feel like your taking your life in your hands; and I say that as someone who cycles in the Dublin fairly regularly.

Yeah, I would definitely be inclined to use them more often, particularly going from Heuston station into city centre (and back) instead of taking the luas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Barrow wheelers (mark flood memorial) 100km today.

Really enjoyed it, an enjoyable route and loads of good company with great food (especially the soup) at the end. Weather is always good when I'm down there which helps too.

Discovered a greasy bit of road and had a 4 minutes sit down to make sure I was ok. Helmet took the brunt so all good.

Props to the barrow wheelers fella on the titanium litespeed - he towed a lot of people a long way and went out of his way to point out road features.

passing by the airport today, somewhat bemused to see that on the perimeter road inside the airport fence (i.e. not the taxiway), there's some works going on and they had set up a stop go system with two lads operating the signs 50m apart. on a road which gets one vehicle every 15 minutes (total guess) and where there are already strict protocols about who is even allowed drive on that road. keeps someone in a job, i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

New top avg speed set :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Very spring-like spin around the lanes of South Kilkenny from Waterford to Fiddown, returning by Portlaw and Kilmeaden to Tramore. I'm starting to notice the benefits of the Trainerroad plan I've been following since before Christmas. I did pass several interesting gates, but the legs were feeling in the zone so they'll have to remain in my head unfortunately. 68km @24km/h with 460m

82km around NCD; which is my longest spin in about six months, and probably too long given my current fitness levels; i feel like i've been beaten up.

real west coast sort of day - sunny and blustery. definitely felt like more than the 25km/h strava is claiming.

also not helped by me wearing my seldom-used altura bibs, which i think are a smidgen too large for me and resulted in chafing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

An early morning 34k from Dublin city centre up to Johnnie foxes via cruagh and back via dundrum and rathmines. Nothing special, other than being taken aback by the sheer number of cyclists on the road on the way back into town. I've been working from home for nearly 3 years now so I no longer commute, and haven't been out pre-work for a spin since last year, so also I don't know if this is a regular occurrence, but coming through rathmines was like being Amsterdam. Traffic was gridlocked, but you had tons of cyclists everywhere: Dublin bikes, Moby's, kids on push bikes with parents, Oul fellas on mountain bikes in high-viz, a few formally dressed office women on cruiser bikes, a few like me in full road gear, choc-a-bloc.

Advertisement