Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Under-20's 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Nataly Calm Fish

In fairness weve been fairly consitebtly smaller than france or ebgland and been the dominant team the last few years. Last years frence team looked way more powerful than us lookked like boys against men but oddly enough the boys won 😅. I think its just harder to show as much technical ability as its hard to be organised at this level

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Nataly Calm Fish

In fairness weve been fairly consitebtly smaller than france or ebgland and been the dominant team the last few years. Last years frence team looked way more powerful than us lookked like boys against men but oddly enough the boys won 😅. I think its just harder to show as much technical ability as its hard to be organised at this level

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

15. Henry McErlean (Terenure/Leinster)

14. James Nicholson (UCD/Leinster)

13. Hugh Cooney (Clontarf/Leinster)

12. John Devine (Corinthians/Connacht)

11. Hugh Gavin (Galwegians/Connacht)

10. Sam Prendergast (Lansdowne/Leinster)

9. Fintan Gunne (Terenure/Leinster)

1. George Hadden (Clontarf/Leinster)

2. Gus McCarthy (UCD/Leinster)(captain)

3. Paddy McCarthy (DUFC/Leinster)

4. Diarmuid Mangan (UCD/Leinster)

5. Conor O’Tighearnaigh (UCD/Leinster)

6. James McNabney (Ballymena/Ulster)

7. Ruadhán Quinn (Old Crescent/Munster)

8. Brian Gleeson (Garryowen/Munster)

Replacements:

16. Danny Sheahan (UCC/Munster)

17. George Morris (Lansdowne/Leinster)

18. Fiachna Barrett (Corinthians/Connacht)

19. Evan O’Connell (UL Bohemians/Munster)

20. Jacob Sheahan (UCC/Munster)

21. Oscar Cawley (Naas/Leinster)

22. Harry West (Buccaneers/Connacht)

23. Rory Telfer (Queen’s University/Ulster).

12 Leinster.

2 Ulster

4 Connacht

5 Munster

Ike Anagu dropped out of the 23 seems to be the only change, with Nicholson shifting to wing, McErlean in at full back (he was good last week) and Telfer who I've heard good things about onto the 23.

Do we know if Anagu has been dropped, or called up by La Rochelle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I honestly think they are too concerned about winning games at this level. Change the team more game to game or at least use the subs with 20/30 to go instead of 10. The goal is to develop, not win.

Also, Anagu being dropped for one bad game is kind of ridiculous if that’s what happened.

24 of 32 players will have been in match day squad after round 2. Thats fairly good. The goal is to develop players and we will likely see lot more change depending on injuries etc for the last few rounds.

A match day squad is 23 players. So, that’s one more than no change.

Anyway, i dont mean wholesale changes. What I really would want is stuff like back up front row getting at least 25 minutes off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Deilf

Agree. Felt sorry for Cawley and West particularly Cawley, Gunne looked like he was running on fumes towards the end and Cawley well able to take over. Give the bench decent game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Wonder was he injured last week when he was subbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

While I agree, I suppose the coaches are judged on results and will always go all out to win it. There's no weak team by the looks of it so I can't see there been huge changes game to game.

I wonder did Anagu pick up a knock, yeah would be harsh and damaging to him otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I get what you are saying and I do agree to a point. Where I differ is results matter and yes, winning should be the goal. Development is the main focus and if a tournament is there to be won, go for it. One way I look at it is, instilling a winning culture. These lads should be drilled believing that they're not there to participate rather, they're there to win.

I want to see everyone get their opportunity and I do feel sorry for those lads not getting game time but, an injury or illness and they are in. They should be similar in mindset to the starting xv. It's telling tat Murphy has selected Evan O'Connell and Hopes! Both under 19's. Hadden got matchtime in the summer series as did Prendergast.

I think Murphy is excelling here at this level. It's a credit to the youth systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Don't agree. The best way to develop, is to win.

Coaches at this level arent really judged on results though. Its far more about LTPD than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Don't think injured. He was having a shocker.

Makes you wonder how much goes on hearsay? Like obviously wasn't easy go watch him play based in france.

I think the improving standard of the AIL makes it a great place for the 20's to develop. Our players usually haven't played for their province the way the french counterparts will have played Top14 but we seem to be producing decent quality players using this pathway.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

Coaches will always be judged on results to say otherwise is foolish. He'll be judged on both not one or the other. The reason why Mcnamara maintains such a strong reputation is becuase of some very impressive ireland u20 teams/results. Murphy will similarly be judged differently if ireland get wooden spooned vs winning Grand slam Winning is massively important for a players mentality and development.

I think there is some sort of spectrum of development and winning focuses, and its not as simple as just winning being a panacea. However, i get your point. I might be undervaluing the importance of winning at this level.

He made the team originally based on practice resumably, so he must have something.

But ultimately its about player development for the future and a lot can be said about hindsight and looking back at 20s a few years on and a team that may have done better in a world championship but less players progressed to have good long pro careers. which is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Daire O’Brien presenting on RTE2

No no no no NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! 😖

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Can’t wait for this, should be a belter off a match

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

lot of pressure on 10-12-13 tonight.

When SBW name checks you then you come under the spotlight and when the welsh midfield does so much damage last weekend you dont want that repeated.

Could be a belter.

15 mins in and only one team playing rugby.

France havent done anything right yet. Great pressure by ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The French hooker was standing about a yard in field when he threw that ball in.

Also, what was the penalty for? I don't have sound and I couldn't see at all what it was for.

Ref gives a penalty in midfield against Ireland for a neckroll when the replay shows clearly the neckroll was on the Irish 13. French score a try off the penalty.

Wtf is the TMO doing there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The quality of our ball skills, attacking play and set piece is far superior to the french. Their size and individual skills will keep them in the game but we should always be winning this game.

Bernard ‘namedrop’ jackman is some pain in the hole. Less is more bernard. Less is more.

Scrum absolutely dominant. Something beautiful about seeing an Irish pack drive a French scrum off their own ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Shehal

An Irish u20 pack just won a scrum against the head against France...never though I'd utter those words!

Advertisement