Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Cops Shoot Dead Immobilized Double Amputee

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭bmc58

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

And they probably would have, had he complied with them. When you go out stabbing people and running from the police you have to accept there are occupational hazards that come with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

A quick Google tells me there were over 7.5 million arrests in the US in 2020. In the same year, 1020 people died who were shot by cops. I can't get figures for how many people cops shot in the same year, Google is giving me nothing but deaths, not just shot. But with 1020 deaths, I can't imagine the number of shot is too much higher. Open to clarification here. And going by some posters on here, if a cop shoots you they shoot to kill so shouldn't be that much higher then.

So I don't think it's as big an issue as it's being made out to be, just that it's a pushed, visible issue. The problem with any police force, is that it's staffed by humans. And because of that, they can't be perfect. Crazy people will get in and do crazy things. Cliques form because it's human nature, mob mentality can happen with just a handful of people. It obviously needs to be dealt with properly, but what stats I can get make me think it's nowhere near as bad as media portrays it. Seems like most arrests are just that, an arrest, nothing more.

And I couldn't be bothered going into why some areas are more likely to involve cop shootings, gang culture, society in general, and all the other stuff behind it. It's not a problem that can be solved overnight, and it's literally impossible to oversee it 100%. Also, it's 'Merica. Country is messed up in general. Just glad I don't live there. AGS are saints in comparison.

https://wapo.st/3HEt8HO

Each year a progressively higher total than the last. Even after over a million Americans dropped dead from COVID. But please, downplay.

Speaking of per capita

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Bottom line, if Lowe dropped his knife when told to and complied with the officer's lawful commands, he'd be alive today. He'd be in jail, but he'd be alive.

Who says that's the bottom line though, apart from you.

My bottom line is that police should only be exercising lethal force when there is an imminent danger. They shouldn't be shooting anybody based on 'what ifs', and what they might do. It should only be based on what they're about to do.

And this guy wasn't about to do anything. He wasn't an imminent threat.

Population is also increasing by about .4% every year too. Population goes up, crime goes up. I'm not downplaying it, I believe it's not as bad as the media would have you believe. Again, I'm not getting into the overly long conversation about race crime stats, white people commit the majority of crimes in America, black people are involved in greater than 50% of murders/manslaughters. Why is that? Culture imo. Don't get me wrong, government/society/all that other stuff has a part to play, but the culture needs to be tackled and it's not. Because right now, black people can do no wrong in the eyes of some. A criminal is a criminal to me.

America has a massive gun problem on both sides of the law. There are no winners and I reckon the country is gone too far to be able to effectively pull back. Race certainly has a role to play, but it's on both sides again. But using the overall arrests:cop deaths, it's a small %. A very small one. 1020 deaths in 2020, a year with 7,632,470 arrests. I'll probably do the math wrong, but that seems like 0.01% (0.013363956884206553%). I'm not downplaying anything.

Population is also increasing by about .4% every year too. Population goes up, crime goes up.

I already addressed that, though. Over a million dead americans and in 2020, the number of killings went up, in 2021, 2022, and 2023 again as well.

Why is that? Culture imo.

The way you've said it it sounds like you lay the feet on Black culture, not on Blue culture, or American culture. All at the feet of Black people. Repeating a cycle that hasn't stopped since the Slave Patrols.

black people are involved in greater than 50% of murders/manslaughters.

This is categorically false. We don't even close 55% of murders to possibly know who is committing over half.

"In the most recent data available from the FBI, the clearance rate hit an all-time low of just over 50 percent."

"involved" also is one of those heavy-lifting words. Victims of police violence are "involved."

Why did you automatically assume when I said culture I meant just black culture? A bit racist, no?

And I'll clarify, my bad, over 50% of people arrested for murder.

And when someone starts to put words in my mouth, claiming I'm perpetuating a cycle since the slave patrols, I'm out. Off be you on your merry justice campaign.

Because of the words you put in writing?

I'm not getting into the overly long conversation about race crime stats, white people commit the majority of crimes in America, black people are involved in greater than 50% of murders/manslaughters. Why is that? Culture imo. Don't get me wrong, government/society/all that other stuff has a part to play, but the culture needs to be tackled and it's not. Because right now, black people can do no wrong in the eyes of some. A criminal is a criminal to me.

Now, maybe you can say I have this wrong, but to me this reads as 'white people commit the majority of crimes' because of the 'overly long conversation about race stats' - they are 75.8% of the population. But black people are involved in over 50% of the murders [sic] because of "culture" - I apologize if I misconstrued you thusly.

re: slave patrols - not you in particular - this conversation is bigger than anyone. But the fact that the culture has ingrained the stereotype Blacks are racially prone to break the law; which began because, as early as slave patrols, etc many more laws targeted them; in Jim Crow, many more policing tactics (and laws) (and lynch mobs) targeted them as well; and race based policing statistics capture only further ingrains this, in concert with the other cultural factors you are referencing, which all cross-interact, a Black neighborhood that is constantly torn down by lynchings and over policing [parents in jail, kids in fostering, etc] across decades cannot build wealth, stability, and will be prone to more of the factors that result in onset crime, including self-reliance on vigilantism or, yes, gangs.

• Advertisement

Meh, i'm out anyway. Boring. Next atrocity please.

Yeah, 'meh,' 'boring,' just lives, lol. Done, done, onto the next one.

Yes, that's exactly what's happening and me caring won't make a difference one way or another. It's not always about race. Sometimes people just don't care. And nothing wrong with that. Don't worry, 'Merica always delivers. Just give them time. Must be hard caring about everything so much.

Not 'everything' just basic concepts like Equal Protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

You mean something like this...

Btw, there is no point in saying "what if this happen somewhere else" with different laws and a completely different culture. It's a ridiculous argument. This guy knew the risks of assaulting someone with a weapon, and then resisting arrest while facing armed police officers. He knew full well what country he was in when acted in such a manner... and what the likely end result could be. He rolled the dice and lost.

Advertisement