Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd say the difference is this time that if he ends up in jail, the novelty factor will have worn off as regards media etc. So he might not get the publicity "benefit" out his martyrdom next time around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

And what exactly has that got to do with an ex-teacher protesting his sacking for verbal abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It is very likely that the school had an agreement from their legal team that they wouldn't be on the hook for legal costs unless and until Burke paid up. Knowing one of their legal team by reputation, I'd bet he was very happy to take on Burke, regardless of fees.

There's plenty the Courts can do about, if he has income or assets. If he has no income and no assets, there's nothing they can do.

If he was left in prison, the school couldn't have proceeded with the disciplinary case to dismiss him. Letting him out was an essential step in bringing the matter to a conclusions.

In any normal situation, you'd be right. In Burke's case, if he never has any income or assets, the State won't get its money. He'll never get work as a teacher again, so it's hard to see where he'll get any income.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I believe it is you who lacks sincerity.

Why? Because you keep asking the same questions, which are not actually questions, over and over again.

For someone who clearly has never had any real life contact with a transgender person, you seem to think you know an awful lot about what they want, and what they expect, of cisgender folk.

If you still don't have answers to your "questions", go back and read the responses that have already been given to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The difference will be next time he gets jailed it will be a sentence of 6 months, 12 months whatever. If that doesn't soften his cough and he asks the bollox when he gets out then he will get a longer sentence. He's already shown himself to be a bigoted bible thumper. It's up to himself if he wants to add clown to his ima.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They could do a rerun of the old TV series OZ with Burke as a character in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,339 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I was thinking more along the lines of ghosts.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,690 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

First lines states negative attitudes towards transgender people. I don't have a negative attitude nor bear any transgender person any ill will. Simply by logically saying that to get all 99.97% of the population to sincerely believe the transgender viewpoint even just whole new lexicon of language. Is a logical fallacy IMO.

That is where I think it goes wrong. Surely another way has to be found where to be transgender is not very dependant on others affirmation for your own identity. I can't think of another minority where this exists.

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Disabled, minority races, travellers etc all can exist in their own identity and sense of self, without the need for affirmation of their sense of self from those outside those communities.

Because at best it a majority (the world) is pretending one thing while saying another to be nice to transgender people. Example thinking "oh I better call him/her - 'they'". Etc. Or that TG person will be offended. Because that is how the majority of people outside the small bubble will think, in reality. It takes concentration and self correction.

How can you change that thought process of the majority? It is virtually impossible. I am not on about negatively attacking someone. But if even if the good intentioned using the new invented pronouns while thinking the traditional ones. How does a community survive?

If there simply is no sincerity in those outside the transgender bubble, and people are saying pronouns for the sake of it just be nice.

Just being nice for the sake of it is not a negative as per the definition below.

But in my eyes it is unintentionally patronising, which is worse than negativity in my view.

I am not even talking about been outwardly or internally negative towards trans people and so on on as this line implies - from wikipedia that you linked.

'Transphobia is a collection of ideas and phenomena that encompass a range of negative attitudes, feelings, or actions towards transgender people or transness in general'

--

That definition above broad as it is, does not even cover my nuanced point, about the practicalities and thought process of even the well intentioned beyond the Enoch Burke's of this world.

Especially when the thought process of most individuals uses day to day language. Where up to recently were just descriptors people learn as children.

How is that thought process going to changed for the average person on the the street? Beyond Burke.

Or is it enough just to try and be nice to the TG community instead?

Forgetting all the rules, words and invented formulas which would make it difficult for many to converse in their normal free flowing manner. My elderly father wouldn't have a hope for example - in a conversation where he was given the new TG lexicon.

And there is no badness in the auld fella. But the way some would frame it. He would be a bigot, without him even understanding why.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I finally understand why Twitter has a character limit.

Sorry about I am trying to explain my viewpoint fully and clearly, but the CCCC GAA appeals system looks less convoluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

Exactly this. His "concerns" have been addressed repeatedly. He isn't looking for answers. He is looking to push his agenda.

It basically becomes 'Enoch Burke - A Case Study in Human endurance'. Sort of like a reality TV show that puts 'Big Brother' and 'I'm a celebrity' etc in the ha'penny place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

The judge could give Burke a special teaching/ bible thumping post to show the drug dealers, murders etc the error of their ways and repent and save their souls. Maybe for 10 hours a day in the joy and portlaoise, as payment. Would be a big insensitive to see the real world for Burke.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,339 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Didn't the Japanese do a show called Endurance once? I remember it being on the Clive James show...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I always wonder how Irish people have such a struggle with this idea as there's a brillaint example for ourselves.

I'd imagine the vast majority of Irish people would not define themselves as British and would correct anyone who referred to them as such, just recently the BBC had to apologise for calling Paul Mescal British. It's easy for people unaware of our situation to assume we are 'British' because of proximity and history (I get a lot of it here in Spain and I've had it from Americans too) but we know it is very important for us to identify as such and clarify that the two or not the same (for the majority of Irish people, at least).

That's how I see it when I put myself in the shoes of people stating their preferred pronouns: they feel that the assumed pronouns that people apply to them don't suit their identity so they offer a correction. If you actually treat peple with respect and compassion, it shouldn't be a problem.

It's the exact same principle involved and it is mind-boggling that Irish people seem to have trouble with this, though I also believe a few of these posters are playing dumb or splitting hairs in order to keep their real feelings in the shadows.

Having a mental breakdown about pronouns and questioning the logic is performative nonsense and needless theatrics, like footballers throwing themselves to the ground if another player breathes on them. I have no respect for such insincere people who merely seek to distract.

Post edited by HalloweenJack on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭AllForIt

They/Them in the context of a person who does identify under the trans umbrella has nothing to do with any of that.

They/Them in the context of those people is about affirming (social acceptance) that one is not the gender one perceives them, is neither male nor female but some other gender, flips between the two (gender fluid) or has no gender at all.

Your verbal diarrhoea and hand d wringing notwithstanding, you post transphobic content on an almost daily basis.

I'm baffled as to your objective here

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Did someone stick up a workaround for reading behind a paywall ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You have a point that it can be difficult for cis people to understand or get their head around at first but cis people can adapt easily enough and do adapt easily enough. Yes people can make genuine and honest mistakes when referring to trans and non binary people. Its easy enough to acknowledge that, learn and move on. I did it myself about 6 months ago. I was talking to a non binary person about how I was discussing them and referenced them as "her" by accident, I acknowledged my mistake, apologised and moved on. My friend went to an all girl convent and came out as trans male at 16. The nuns and teachers and students accepted him and his identity.

Its possible for 80 year olds too.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Re your legal costs comment, that is pure speculation on your part….”very likely”…….”I’d bet”…”knowing someone by reputation”

Enoch Burke was already in prison and was let out by the judge without the need to discharge his contempt that landed him in there in the first place. We wouldn’t have this daily charade if he was still in prison.

And the matter is far from concluded, just the school is no longer paying him…..so we are unable to deduct the fines from his salary as he hasn’t got one.

How the school managed to incur a 50k legal bill so quickly, will make this case an isolated one, in the manner it has unfolded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I don't think he'd care one way or the other about the publicity

Post edited by Quantum Erasure on

If he hadn't been released we would have a different charade. Since they couldn't hold the disciplinary hearing with him in jail he would still be employed and so the school would have to continue paying him. So he would be saving his entire salary while the state fully supported him. This is exactly the situation that the judge wished to avoid, which is why he was released when the school went on winter break. Now instead of his financial situation improving with every passing day he has no job and is accumulating large fines every day.

We'll see what the judge decides tomorrow.

Why would you think that? Near as I can tell that's his only reason for going through this charade. While the reporters were there every day for him he would roll his window down as his dad drove him past so they could get a clear photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Now I have the image of Margarita Pracitan in my head. thanks.

👁️ Enoch Watch 👁️

Thursday 9 Feb - Day 12 at Wilsons Hospital School

Thursday 9 Feb - Fines x 14 Days = €9,800

🏳️‍🌈 Donations to "Enough, Enoch" GoFundMe in support of Irish LGBT charities = €6,660 🏳️‍🌈

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Why was the state paying him while in prison last year ?. Private schools get state money to pay their teachers, so the state should have suspended payments as he wasn’t available and had no good reason for his absence.

If an unemployed person ends up in prison, they lose the payment as they fail one big criteria …..being available for work. Not aware of any private sector jobs that would continue to pay an employee for 108 days while he is in prison on a crusade.

The fines quickly become a side issue as at 700 a day plus initial 50k legal costs…..if he owes 100k or 130k, don’t be surprised if he heads down the bankruptcy route. As he has made himself unemployable, attachment orders to future income are unlikely to be in play.

Let’s hope he returns to prison tomorrow as fines don’t phase him and 108 days in prison didn’t seem to bother him either.

Out of sight, out of mind

Advertisement