Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭reclose

The April 1st date really suits the match up.

Very poor opponent for Joshua, I’d be surprised if it sold well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,332 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The lad worked a job before the Whyte fight ,

I know Hearn says but Fury had tune up fights but that was because he was 3 0stone & over 2 years out of the ring,

Has AJ really dropped to this level ,

It'll be very interesting to see if this is box office what numbers it gets , You'd have to imagine the general public are getting a bit sick of AJ . Will he sell out the O2

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It is not PPV, and I guess I am not surprised. Yes, I know. I said AJ will be PPV till he retires. More said facetiously: It’s an absolute joke fight, really. AJs bubbble burst a while ago.

you can bet his next fight after this (assuming he wins) will be PPV against a bigger name. A joke!!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

It is a PPV fight in all but name.

if you don't subscribe to Dazn currently, it will cost 20 pounds.

if you do subscribe currently, you need to sign up for a year to stay on the 10 pounds a month plan.

• Advertisement

I get you. It is a paid service, just not strictly PPV. It would be beyond lunacy if they tried DAZN PPV it as well..

The bigger name being lined up is Dillian Whyte for a stadium in the summer which will 100% be ppv, Eddie floated the name wilder for the winter but I can’t see them taking that risk tbh

Yep, Whyte is the name I believe will be next, should AJ win. Not a hope I am paying for two washed-up has beens to "do it again."

but it is a grudge match that was so close last time lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Whyte Joshua is a decent contest and there’ll be a good card. Fight it at Wembley. No belt. Assuming joshua comes through that then why not fight wilder? It’s a huge draw and he has a decent chance. He won’t beat fury or Usyk. What else is left?

• Advertisement

Whyte was pants at his best, and is now clearly past his best....he's completely washed up. Useless.

I'd expect even a past his best (more timid AJ) to do a number on him. It's an absolute nothing fight.

It's up there (although not as pathetic) as Fury-Chisora III

when was the last time whyte actually came out and impressed anyone, he couldn’t stop laughing at wilder getting beaten by fury which made a funny clip

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Whyte is done , he is toast,

I never thought about it before but if we recall he was caught with something in his system after the Rivas fight ,Since then he has been absolutely shocking , Could be coincidence

Yep, and if we even consider his ONLY chance here, a KO shot: I don't think he even possesses the type of spark-delivery needed to get it

AJ should beat him every rd and then take him out mid rds.....

Post edited by walshb on

I dunno. I was at the Rivas fight and he was just ok that night. Lazy.

take povetkin, whyte was all over him as washed up as he was. Was he less impressive than joshua against povetkin? Joshua might just have the belief he has his number so he could fight better. Whyte may not have that belief in which case he’s not even gonna be as good. But it’s about as competitive as you can get outside Wilder or possibly Joyce and he’s not gonna fight them

Aj said it’s all about the money, he is a prize fighter after all

he was then asked if he’s glad to be back at the o2 and he said nah not really he prefers Wembley innit

he seems different in his interviews today, no talk of titles or legacy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Funny thing is he probably means the stadium and not the smaller Wembley arena as deluded as he is , he’ll probably sell out the o2 but only because it’s in London where I imagine the last of his fan base is.

Whyte Franklin was bizarre. Whytes coach just kept telling him to defend and jab despite the fact the scorecard was close. They had no desire to attack.

He's been really poor since Rivas as mentioned above.

Both Franklin and Whyte should be fairly handy fights for AJ.

i didn’t hear anymore about Whytes positive test from the Rivas fight, Eddie was talking about a b sample for a while and then nothing

Hmm who was it he fought after that on the joshua Ruiz undercard and he was a fat mess but won on points?

I don’t think there’s a lot between him and Joshua

• Advertisement

After Rivas Whyte went on to fight mariusz wach on the Aj card and that was a terrible fight

whyte then went on to get sparked out by povetkin, who then got covid and had serious health issues with Whyte claiming he was ducking him

whyte beat him in the rematch and it was claimed he was back to his best, povetkin retired because of his long covid issues (I think) then we had fury knock him out with and a strange tussle with Franklin where Whyte was told not to go for the knock out for some reason.

i like Whyte but when you look at his career as a boxer he’s not great, he’s entertaining though

Whyte has went downhill fast the past few years. His fights in 2018 and 2019 and 2020 and 2021 are a long time ago. He has looked awful his last 2 fights. AJ is on the slide, yes, but he should have far too much v Whyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭blade1

If AJ let's go he should have him out of there in no time.

Anything but an early night for AJ should add even more embarrassment on him.

aj is the more disciplined of the two and more powerful boxer, whyte lets his anger change his fights and the street fighter in him comes out very quickly

I used to enjoy Whytes fights for the entertainment also. He had a good run after the AJ loss.

But he's looked really poor for the most part since Rivas. And I just don't see what he has to trouble any top opponents.

Ironically, I thought he looked back in good shape and form against Povekin just minutes before he was dropped.

That’s the point I’m making, povetkin outfoxed him with a brilliantly set up move. He had that fight in the bag. His own laziness and bad habits have cost him a lot. I think he raises his game for Joshua. Neither are going that well. If he’s that bad then Fury has really picked his last two opponents and conned us all.

But, this is here and now, 2023. Not a few years ago when Whyte was better. He was abysmal in his last two fights. Last time he looked decent was Povetkin II, against a cleary washed up Povetkin

Maybe I am being too harsh on him, but at his best he wasn't all that good. I am not alone in this view. He has made an absolute killing based off being knocked out years ago by AJ. Since this loss he beat nobody worth a damn, and was beaten clearly every time he stepped up, and one those losses was a KO against a washed-up Povetkin

Yea I get that but both of them have declined. He’s still game at self while joshua has looked afraid recently. I guess there isn’t much to suggest he should be beating joshua but my argument is that it’s a decent fight and test for Joshua.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Stuck a fiver on Joshuav Franklin to make it a bit interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭reclose

I think Hearn did a great job making Whyte out to be a higher standard than he actually is.

probably a fringe top 10 at his best but was never a serious challenger.

Advertisement