Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oranmore Cinema

Options
  • 06-01-2023 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Has anyone been to Oranmore Omniplex recently?

It's the handiest cinema for me but I haven't been in ages as it was so grim. So hoping to hear reports of a lovely new refurbishment and its all clean and sparkly now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Was in it a few months ago. It was freezing cold and grim. It would be the handiest for me too but can't take myself to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭boogaloop

I brought the kids over Christmas, was expecting the previous freezing experience so had them all wrapped up but this time it was roasting....like heating on full blast to an almost uncomfortable level.

It's fine, it's handy for me so I go the odd time. No renovation though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Oranmore IMC is pretty bad.

Often freezing cold, place in a disheveled state, broken seats in the screens, a single staff member trying to sell tickets and do drinks and popcorn, etc.

When it first opened it was a really fantastic cinema but it got worse and worse over the years until eventually I stopped going. It's the closest cinema to me but I drive straight past to the Eye in Wellpark.

I would imagine most people do the same as well given the place is usually a ghost town the odd time I'd end up there.

The IMC in town is a good bit better but also in serious need of renovation. They seem to have a policy of zero investment, if it breaks so be it, it stays broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭motley

Yes they have never touched the place since it was first built.

But I love the place for the fact if you go mid week you are likely to have no queues and then the whole screen to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

When was it built exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

it was shortly before the bust. I'd say around 2005/2006, when that all first opened there was an entertainment center, pub, night club and the cinema. with no housing/population density or public transport i'm not sure what they were thinking, cinema is the last one standing (just about).

I'd say it was built just for to avail of a tax break.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

In theory, it could have been a massive success.

Large hotel across the road, large catchment area (none withing walking distance though.....), possible expectation that many more housing estates would pop up. Restaurants, bar, bowling, games, kids area, cinema- all in the one location.

Yeah, with some investment is could still be. At least there is now a safe crosswalk there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A "crosswalk"? Where, exactly, relative to the houses in the area?

There's a pedestrian crossing at the dual carriageway roundabout, which you previously had to just run across when walking to Cinema/Hotel/Deerpark.

It was needed. Originally they looked at a pedestrian overpass but ruled it out.

• Advertisement

Yep. If you were coming from one of the houses out by the Oranmore Lodge Hotel or the Community Centre/pitches or walked up from Oran Court to go to cinema or even just from the Lodge hotel itself, you had to take your chances between the traffic come off the dual carriageway or the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MattressRick

It's a pity it's so grim. Surely with the population in Oranmore and even in the catchment areas like ClareGalway there's a viable business there if it was reasonably priced.

Eye cinema is 25 for 2 adults plus about 20 for food and soft drinks. Not much left out of 50 euro. Hardly something I'd do soon again.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Grogsy

It's certainly a bit grim, but it's handy to know you'll have no problem with booking or parking. I don't understand how it stays going though, being so quiet. A bit suspect even.

It is interesting that Omniplex is building in Ballinasloe. I wonder if they will go on a tear of sprouting more up to service these growing areas. It feels like Galway has been growing quickly. South of Galway from Oranmore all the way through Kinvara there have been new houses and housing estates popping up.

The Omni in Salthill is a fantastic cinema. The Oranmore cinema was originally an Omni until that split happened and it ended up as an IMC. To be honest from the rough state of both Oranmore and the city IMC I would wager the company is not in a great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

To add, the Athlone IMC is also run down.

I did go to Oranmore a couple of times post lock down as I wanted to see a Marvel movie but was wary of large crowds, Oranmore helped spacing out with its quietness.

Went to see Guardians 3 there the other week as it was the only place I could find showing it in 3d. Disappointing experience. The canvas was filthy meaning the 3d didn't pop out like it should and there were some spoilt brats up and down their seats and taking flash selfies of themselves near the front 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Went to see a 3D film in Oranmore recently and (as above) was extremely disappointed. Everything appears extremely dark, no vibrant colours.

Advertisement