Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I just came on to post the same :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Delighted for him and he attacks every time he gets the ball. He took a nasty hit in 2021 so I would love for him to win an medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Fast starts by unfancied teams should not be a surprise.

They obviously want to secure Div 1 status as quick as possible and thus are usually playing with a team closer to their championship team than some others are.

They are doing less experimenting, they have less players to "come back"

Roscommon reached a league semi finals back around 2016, I think they came second after the 7 regular season games.

But they were relegated the next year.

Same with Galway in 2020, pre COVID they were top of the pile, in 2021 they were relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Cracking goal for McLaughlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Some pace tearing up the pitch. I had a moan a few days ago about the wild shot he took against Armagh. But I have no doubts as to his worth in the team. For me, he doesn't need to be a scoring threat to warrent a place in the team. I'd take his forward drive any day as opposed to Stephen Coens conservativeness. At least Eoghan is putting the opposition on the back foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

I do think Eoghan has a place on the team, but this isn't his first year involved now, so i think he needs to learn his place. Somebody made the comparison to Michael Darragh MacAuley a few posts back, MacAuley knew he couldn't score those long range points, the only scores i can think of him scoring was fisted over the bar actually, but he was a huge asset to Dublin and Ballyboden too. He was an out and out pest on the field too which I don't see MacLaughlin bringing but that's neither here nor there. So I think for Eoghan to have maximum impact he needs to figure out is he going to nail the kicking, or just accept that's not going to be part of his game. He is a starter either way IMO, but making the wrong decision like he did in Armagh just won't be good enough come championship!

I think we can have a moan about him taking the wrong option against Armagh and still think he brings massive value to the team; I think he just needs to take a split second to steady himself in these situations and he'll be grand.

FWIW, I also think Coen is worth his place on the team even if he is more of a "minding the house" type of player than McLaughlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

100%. You need this driving force in order to beat the big teams. You will not win big games with the stuff Coen does. I think he knows his limits and as such plays it save. EML firing down the wing would worry teams as will Durcan the other side. We just need someone to fill the CB position and maybe Loftus is it for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Completely agree, not sure how it became a McLaughlin Vs Coen thing. Both very different players and as you say, probably a place for both types on the one team.

• Advertisement

Apologies, I brought Stephen Coens name into it. There were couple of comments questioning Eoghan McLaghlans inclusion in the team. I was just comparing the overall impact between the 2 of these players. And that I think Eoghan's worth to the team is far more. I didn't really mean that it's one or the other. But I guess if I was to be pressed on it, I don't see what Stephen Coen brings to the team. If we uncovered another attacking half-back type player (even half the calibre of Keegan, Boyle, Higgins), it would be more valuable than Stephen Coens contribution against the likes of Kerry, Dublin, Galway etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

You can't play all attacking half backs though. You need a player or 2 who will sit and cover the full back line. Tadhg Morley is one of the first names on the Kerry team, yet you don't see him bombing up the field. Cian O'Sullivan played a similar role with Dublin for years.

I think Stephen Coen gives a lot to the team. He's great at competing for kickouts and breaking ball. Unlike a lot of our backs, his first thought is kick passing the ball. Also, despite all the stick he gets, his scoring return is decent - especially in big games.

Personally I don't see this Loftus experiment working long term. SC at 6 with Paddy Durcan and EMcL either side is still our strongest HB line.

I went in hard on McLaughlin for taking the shot on, but I wasn't questioning his place on the team at all.

I think Coen is a bit underrated myself. A player like that is needed in most teams. RedDevil55 has made the point better than I could.

The only thing I would add to that is that he must bring serious leadership as well.

He doesn't seem the most vocal, I guess a lot of it goes unseen by us, but to be a minor, u21 and Sigerson winning captain... there has to be something serious there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I think Coen does a lot of unseen work and covering off the ball. His positioning is always very good, passing very strong too. Scores the odd one but is rarely into the opposition 65 at the same time. He's very strong and a good tackler, rarely gets dispossessed himself.

Hugely underrated, probably precisely because he doesn't score very often and does a lot of the less spectacular work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I like EML, but I think a few are getting carried away.

His speed is an obvious advantage.

But having no end product in terms of scoring - points or goals - and lacking in game intelligence, I'd really be wanting some form of return from him. I do believe though that his injury has set him back and no one can fault that.

Someone mentioned above that COC was correct in slowing down that ball against Armagh instead of going for it, when their keeper was dispossessed. Dublin, Kerry and Tyrone would have taken advantage of that, while we just slowed it down. Makes zero sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

I have to disagree on your last point.

I think Cillian understood if we held the ball for 30 seconds, the game was over. He passed it off to Eoghan and then was looking for it back off him - he looked very frustrated to see him shooting.

I was there live and haven't watched it back, but from memory, a few Mayo lads had broken forward, and I'd be pretty confident that they could have passed it around for 30 seconds then worked a handy chip over score. If they did, it's game over.

Yeah I was behind that goal. Brickenden and McBrien were the other 2. It was just a rush of blood from EMacL. Cillian would definetly have known to play keep ball and likely if he’d gotten the ball back it would have been better dealt with. He’s better in terms of awareness and would have known to look for other players coming into position to include in the passage of play or that might be in a better scoring position.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Ah come on, he has plenty of end product. In the championship last year he got a point vs Galway, a point vs Monaghan and 2 points vs Kildare. That's aside from all the frees he wins by running from deep.

He has made 2 sub appearances so far this year. No need to panic yet about his scoring return.

Not sure what you think Dublin, Kerry or Tyrone would have done in that situation. Yes the keeper was outfield, but plenty Armagh defenders were back covering. The correct move was to hold possession IMO and try wind down the clock for 30 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Many of our forwards struggle to consistently score goals and points. It's a bit unfair to criticise EML on his scoring return from the half back line!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

I dunno, sounds like a very good argument but I just don't see it! As someone else said if another talented half back comes along, might happen next year with Sean Morahan, you could see him on the bench. Mayo's peak half backline was Keegan Boyle Vaughan. They're all really attacking players.

Coen's passing is fine but it's not like he's John Daly with the foot passing. He doesn't get turned over because he takes absolutely no risks. He actually makes great runs in attacking positions but it all just looks like he's trying to take his man out of the game rather than score/create a goal. Anyway, the managers love him so they obviously see something I don't.

I'd like to think I'm constructively criticising him, as I'd like to see his end product improve even more! He had a couple of goal chances as well last year which didn't come off either, down to composure really. I'd hope he can improve that.

Like the red, wouldn't be sold on the pyjama one.

No pushed on the red. The keepers one is awful though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Composure wouldn’t be a trait id associate with many mayo players throughout the years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

My brother has a ticket for Saturday for sale.

Face value, 18 bucks if anyone wants it.

l know kids are free into league games, but do they still need a ticket, or can they just walk up ?

Just walk up, no ticket needed

Wouldn't expect too many changes for tomorrow, maybe something like

Reape

Hession O'Brien Brickendon

Coen Loftus McHugh

Ruane DOC

McDonagh Tuohy Flynn

Carr AOS ROD

Kerry are in good shape on 2 points (could easily be on 3-4) considering they're still missing a good few players. Kerry are probably weakest at MF whereas it's our strongest area so you'd expect to see us dominate possession. Would be nice to keep another clean sheet and see some better interplay amongst the forwards.

I'd say it'll be tight, I guess a lot depends on whether Clifford & SOS play - I hope they do in that our younger backs need to experience what it's like to play against the top players. The bookies have Kerry as 1 point favourites

• Advertisement

I expect Kerry to be at much fuller strength than their first 2 games. SO'S to play and D Clifford to be brought on for a good run out would be my thinking.

I think they'll have targeted this as the real start to 2023 for them.

Looking forward to headin to the match tomorrow, but based on the draft team by MacDanger (which won't be far off the mark), it is hard to see us come away with any points. SOS and David Clifford have had a nice little break, and will be relishing a nice dry crisp Saturday evening in MacHale Park. We don't really have anyone who is fast and mobile enough for Paudie Clifford. And this new guy Daragh Roche is full of confidence and ability to match.

But will be great experience for our lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

i really think we are in for an eye opener. As you say SOS and DC will be on, and they will run riot against our inexperience. Would be great is KMCStay has a plan, but i think mayo are a shadow of their former selves, and Kerry are back to themselves. League final last year is the sort of margins im expecting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

darragh roche been around a few years now. Don’t think you’ll see him in summer. Donal O’Sullivan is the man tho 5 or 6 years younger than roche too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Anybody hear anything about Tommy Conroy lately? Had heard he had a setback/wasn't going too well, but have no idea how true it is.

1. Cormac Reape Knockmore
    2. David McBrien Ballaghaderreen
    3. Rory Brickenden Westport
    4. Enda Hession Garrymore
    5. Stephen Coen Hollymount/Carramore
    6. Conor Loftus Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    7. Donnacha McHugh Castlebar Mitchels
    8. Matthew Ruane Breaffy
    9. Diarmuid O'Connor Ballintubber
    10. Fionn McDonagh Westport
    11. Bob Tuohy Castlebar Mitchels
    12. Jordan Flynn Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    13. Aidan O'Shea Breaffy
    14. James Carr Ardagh
    15. Ryan O'Donughue Beal an Mhuirthead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭freddie_

He played last night in a game against the U20s. Scored a couple of goals, recovery seems to be going perfectly. Thank god!

I hear where you are coming from, but I'll add a little glimmer of hope.

I think the defense has hardened up a bit this year, and the influence of Buckley can been seen all around the field in the tackling.

So even though I think Kerry will win, it won't be as one-sided I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CuriosityKilledtheCat

Can't make it to Castlebar this evening - is the game on tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No Durcan, Conroy or O'Hora on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Some finish by ROD.... we've been super wasteful in general though

We've had worst halves.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

Don’t forget the Limerick hurlers were septic in the league last year and still won Liam McCarthy in July.

Kerry won’t lose any sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

Diarmuid hopefully nothing too serious. Cracking half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

that Mayo jersey is horrible, thought they were wearing bibs

• Advertisement
Advertisement