Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s the obstacle against downing illegally flown drones?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭moonshy2022

Well that isn’t exactly true either now is it.

Citing “well there was no photos” as a defence it didn’t happen is a bit of a crap defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Might be no harm to regulate drones at point of sale. Ensure only Drones with safety features can be sold in Ireland like the DJI Drones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Your neighbour doesn’t have the rights to the airspace, but it doesn’t follow that YOU have the right to do as you please in the airspace either.

Even if it was a designated public airspace, you wouldn’t have the right to perv in his windows, no more than you would from a public green area.

There are laws describing how much airspace is included with land ownership. It’s not as simple as X metres though. A city block zoned for high rise would own much more airspace than a rural field.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That’s incorrect. Mot having unlimited rights, is not the same as not having any rights.

If you built something overhanging a neighbours property at first floor level. They absolutely the right to that airspace and can have it removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭eusap

Drone Jamming/Capturing technology is already in use in the State, and is in use at some Government owned buildings. So why not the airport

https://www.thesun.ie/news/9444084/inside-irish-prisons-criminals-drones-smuggling-drugs/#:~:text=A%20NEW%20battle%20of%20the,installed%20in%20six%20prison%20sites.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think i recall that some airport (amsterdam springs to mind, but that's probably wrong) has specially trained birds of prey to bring down drones.

someone mentioned jamming them; running jamming signals is probably not something someone running an airport wants to contemplate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

The regulations state no drones to fly within 5km of an airport (unless <1kg AND <15m), so that means anyone in parts of Finglas, Santry, Swords, or Ballymun would be in breach for flying their drone anything over 15meters and I'm sure that happens daily. I've seen lots of aerial photos of property for sale in the area taken from well over 15m.

But if your drone is <1kg AND <15 meters off the ground AND you're not being a hazard to aircraft, you're allowed to fly near an airport. I've seen people do this several times at various layby's at Dublin Airport, usually just hovering a few meters off the ground.

I wonder how many of the reported incidents so far were actually drones being hazardous to aircraft and how many were people just reporting people for having a drone hover a few feet off the ground? I know the reports last weekend were all stood down very quickly.

This is the number one obstacle. No-one with the will or gumption to do something. The person who is currently at the helm is a certain Mr Ryan who is about as effective as effective as a tea cosy in a thunderstorm. The technology exists to hijack drone signals. In fact much of it is Open Source so wouldn't cost much to deploy. You just need someone to go do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

im wondering does this have anything to do with the significant rise in complaints from the public due to the rise in traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I think the last stats I saw showed that 95% of those complaints were from a single person. He was averaging 80+ a day last year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Jamming isn't as precise as you think it is, it's noise covering the intended frequency and then some to stop any actual signals getting through. Those frequencies that drones use are the same range as most other commercial wireless stuff from wifi to Bluetooth use.

Jamming a smallish government building is one thing, it's a small area so overspill isn't too much of a concern and networking is probably all wired for security and they could avoid using normal commercial equipment where they did need radios something.

But an airport you'd need a huge area and then a few km outside, at a high strength to cover the airspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

That is laughable. We have people in this country deliberately committing crimes to try and get into prison during the cold winters. They cannot get in because the system is overcrowded and bursting at the seams.

That someone would get any sort of custodial sentence at all, let along the lunacy of 25 years, it fairy tale thinking.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Anybody who visits the Bray Air Show and positions themselves up at Bray Head will likely have seen the odd rogue drone operating, which brings proceedings to a halt. I have seen an official simply grab a light drone that passed slowly within his reach and confiscate it. Air show had been stopped briefly and resumed shortly after.

• A bit pricey for my pocket

It is probably easy enough to down drones by jamming and find culprits if the culprits you are dealing with are clueless dopes just trying to show off or totally ignorant of what they are doing. You are probably dealing with cheap drones bought off Amazon.

But what about more sophisticated actors so seek to cause economic disruption. Drones are readily available that can fly autonomously along a pre-determined flight path without external radio guidance. A well organised actor intent on divelment, with some investment, could have one or more of these and give them flight paths that would take them in at a very low altitude before popping up once it reaches the airport and fly rings around the place to cause mayhem until either a) it is somehow taken down, or b) it crash lands or c) after wreaking its havoc, they fly out to sea to ditch a few miles off shore to lessen the chance of the drone being recovered. A drone or a small swarm of them could be secreted in a concealed location perhaps days or weeks in advance, and programmed to begin its flight at a pre-determined certain time.

What is the defence against that? I know there are microwave type devices that are capable of cooking a drones electronics to bring it down, but I doubt these are widely available to authorities.

Asking the Defence forces to shoot down a drone with bullets is not going to happen. Aside from the stray bullet issue, it would be next to impossible to hit a tiny drone with a bullet. You'd need some sort of Luftwaffe flak to get it, which is clearly a non runner.

• I’d say one or two houses might be under surveillance. The rule for taking off from 28R is a right turn shortly after take-off, that means heading about 360 during the urial climb before more altitude has been gained before commencing on any course between west and south. Apparently for some time aircraft weren’t always being directed to do this, resulting in breach of terms as agreed with small settlements due west of 28R

As for regulating at point of sale. Pointless. ......

eBay, Aliexpress, amazon, Wish.

• Advertisement

And EuroGIANT,

I'm staring out from a starbucks at a euroGIANT store where I bought my own crapola Drone in 2015. Drone long out of action, behind my back garden wall in some wasteland.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

An Post seem to be doing a good job at customs at stopping anything even legit coming in!

If it is an EU wide rule, it would be fairly easy to enforce. All outside parcels are checked for customs paperwork.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lots of airports use birds of prey to keep airspace free of flocking birds. DAA could train up a squadron of wedge tailed eagles!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Jamming mightn't be totally effective as I think more advanced drones can be pre-programmed with a specific flight plan and not require any real-time human operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Astral Nav

Was there actually a drone there or was it a bird scaring device?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Shotgun would be a good way. The only problem is due to the overcautious lefty gun laws here several new laws would have to be created before you could put a shotgun in the hands of a fella wearing a DAA jacket. Said fella would have to be sent on a training course costing many thousands and taking many months where they basically repeatedly tell him "only aim at drones and not passenger aircraft".

If you really wanted to cause trouble you could have a baloon hovering about 60,000 ft above the airport periodically releasing drones with the aim of getting them sucked into jet engines. Poor auld Leo would have to go begging the Brits to shoot it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Since its made by China the Chinese probably have a backdoor built into it so it won't pick up their own drones

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I believe that this is in use for several prison facilities in the UK.

The issue might be that the geo-fencing and or hijack signals might interfere with aircraft nav beacons?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Depends on the brand. Dji drones have built in geo-fencing.

I saw a guy on Facebook ljist month, bought a new Dji drone and is annoying that he cant fly it in his back garden. He lives close to Baldonnnel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There a good few videos of people testing shooting them with snipers and shoguns. The latter with special shotgun drone shells that have shot connected with wires like a net when fired. They all found it very hard to hit a hovering drone, even a static one. Basically it's not viable.

Advertisement