Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sandman [Netflix]

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Episodes 7 and 8 were disappointing, a real change in tone from earlier episodes.

The suspense is gone replaced with corniness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭blackbox

I enjoyed it all. The only part that was a bit questionable was Cain and Abel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 4 and 5 down, belatedly. Really enjoyed the "duel" between Morphius and Lucifer, was imaginatively handled.

Episode 5 was fantastic. Completely unexpected, and took a while for me to understand what was happening but it was like a gripping stage-play. Everything slowly unwound between characters while David Thewlis simply observed. Yes it all became a little unhinged but little by little. No flashy FX, just the slow corruption of unburdened people.

Finished the series.

Like other have said the last 4 episodes are a big drop in quality from the previous 6.

I liked the bonus episode, the Caliope part reminded me of Tales of the Unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Did you watch the rest of it and get your answer?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm really not with the cool kids at all these days. Loved this from start to finish with episode 6 being the highlight. I've never felt more like I was watching a graphic novel than I have with this adaptation. Nothing is perfect but thumbs up overall from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I thought this show was fantastic with episodes 5 and 6 in particular being the highlights. Hopefully gets a 2nd season

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 6 down and what an emotional, enjoyable "hangout" episode. The material with Death was bittersweet, followed by a slowburn story of friendship enkindled over centuries. Death herself was well played; kind, and sympathetic - a nice contrast to Captain Mopey her brother, who ostensibly makes us dream wonders.

Props to writing a character living forever and not becoming an empty husk, pining for death having lost his humanity. Well. Not yet, I suppose.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I enjoyed this. It's a long while since I read it but I certainly recall that it was somewhat episodic and that Morpheus himself isn't quite the lead character that you might otherwise expect, often taking a back seat to the main story. It was very faithful in scenes in fact - I took a quick look afterwards and, for the Cereal Convention at least, they were even using scenes and lines of dialogue from the source material. The Rose Walker stuff wasn't my favourite element sure and no, not as strong as the first arc but it still interested me. I'm fairly sure though we got a bit more of all of Rose Walker's housemates in the original material and, the weakest part for me, so much focus on her friend and her ghost boyfriend. I certainly wanted a bit more of the sisters and their spider collection. The sumptuous production values to it all did no harm either.

As to people claiming it's "woke" I can't say I found it that way. Constantine was always bisexual, switching Rose Walker's race makes sfa difference, gendering swapping Constantine was I believe a copyright issue (otherwise Matt Ryan would surely have been playing John Constantine), and most other elements felt in keeping with the tone of the concepts they were embodying (such as with Desire). Even the Corinthian sleeping around made sense in that he's purely indulging whatever he wants in humanity.

=

Finally finished this up after taking a wee break for reasons. Very strange beast really, neither properly episodic, nor serialised; falling somewhere in the middle and often bouncing between the two in some episodes. I can appreciate why people didn't really buy into the back-half to the show as after trending in one broad direction, it veered into this whole "Vortex" material & Rose Walker. I completely forgot David Thewlis' was in this for a spell, hinting at being the Big Bad but then just dropping out of it.

My own personal continuity quibbler also wondered how Rose's (great?) Granny could still be alive when she fell asleep back in the 1910s; was the implication that those who had the Sleeping Sickness lived longer?

All in all though, I'd love to see more of this world, both our own and the Dreaming; it has been a very dark but evocative presentation all-round, and at least by being relatively untethered to one specific arc or set of characters at all times, it could go in any direction it chose.

Question for the comic readers: do we know or find out which of the Eternals went missing? Seemed like something mentioned now and again without intentionally say who disappeared.

As to "woke"? JFC whatever. It really is a point now where a black or gay face just existing in a drama is enough to get that tedious phrase trotted out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

"Question for the comic readers: do we know or find out which of the Eternals went missing? Seemed like something mentioned now and again without intentionally say who disappeared."

yes... it is part of my favourite section of the whole story...

About time it was confirmed. There was a rumour swirling that it had been green-lit for Season 2 on the QT, but heartening to read it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I actually just started rewatching it a few days ago, as I felt there were parts I didn't really take in the first time. So that's probably what tipped the scales and made Netflix finally decide to renew it.

You're welcome.

Unfortunately it hasnt been confirmed yet, that tweet was a windup.

If you read down he says "follow me for more misinformation"

ahhh balls

/banned for getting people's hopes up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Great to be officially renewed; an odd show in that my feeling is not so much What Happens Next??, but a curiosity to know what other stories we can tell within this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’m really enjoying the show. Very interesting.

I knew the basic gist of the comics but never read them.

I was expecting the duel with Lucifer to be swords but how they actually fought was really good.

I do find a few things confusing.

When Morpheus was first imprisoned it showed people not being able to wake up and I assumed nobody was able to dream until all the tools were recovered but there doesn’t seem to have been much affect on people. Everything seems normal.

And when John was testing the patrons in the diner was he also affecting the rest of the world? Although difficult to hear the new on the TV seemed to be talking about a lot of unexplained problems occurring and at the end Dream is on a street where there seems to have been a riot. Did I miss something in the episode that explained this?

It is a pity that John Constantine couldn’t be included and a pity it wasn’t Matt Ryan but Jenna Colman was fun in the part.

• Advertisement

encephalitis lethargica

a real sickness and occurred around the time of this particular Sandman plot.

As for the diner scene, there is a very good article on that.. see below..

https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/the-sandman-24-hour-diner-explained-neil-gaiman

and for your last question, i think it was a rights issue, other Constantine projects in development, that prevented him from being in this.

I had a vague memory that the sleeping illness was based on something real but kept forgetting to look it up. However, what confuses me is that all of humanity is not affected - I assume that no one can dream without Morpheus and yet everything in the present day seems just fine.

I know it is just something I’m overlooking or have forget from the previous episodes.

I knew it was legal reasons why John Constantine himself isn’t in the show - I just meant it is a pity but Coleman did a good job and I hope she shows up again.

I will check out that link. Cheers.

EDIT: any spoilers for future episodes in that article?

A minor what did Rose and Lyta think they were going to England for?

It seemed to be something like “who do you think you are” but why would the Walkers be wanted for that?

An update from Neil Gaiman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Netflix's Official Summary of the New Cast Members:

Ruairi O’Connor is ORPHEUS, the poet, musician, and oracle, is the only child of Dream and the muse, Calliope (last seen in “The Sandman,” Episode 111). Orpheus is an idealistic, romantic, young man – and very much his father’s son – until tragedy strikes and reveals to him the true nature of love.

Freddie Fox is LOKI, the god of chaos. Loki is a charming, seductive shapeshifter. The smartest and most dangerous person in any room, Loki is utterly irresistible and never to be trusted.

Clive Russell is ODIN, the father of Thor, and blood-brother to Loki. He is a longtime ally of Dream’s, but finds himself driven to desperate extremes in his efforts to stave off Ragnarök.

Laurence O’Fuarain is THOR, the storm god. With his hammer Mjollnir, Thor is brusque, rude, and driven entirely by his appetites – for food and drink, for battle, and for sex.

Ann Skelly is NUALA and Douglas Boothis CLURACAN, royal emissaries from the court of Faerie. Nuala and Cluracan are siblings who are opposites in every way. Nuala is responsible, empathetic, and principled. Cluracan is an impulsive rogue who lives for pleasure. They disagree about everything, except their devotion to one another.

Jack Gleeson is PUCK, a malevolent hobgoblin who serves as the royal jester to King Auberon of Faerie. Puck is fascinated by mortals and enjoys nothing more than making sport of them for his own amusement. He’s also the inspiration for Shakespeare’s Puck in A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

Indya Moore is WANDA, a professional driver and security agent for an exclusive travel firm. Wanda proves herself to be an indispensable guide on an Endless road trip to the waking world.

Steve Coogan is the voice of BARNABAS, the canine companion of the Endless’s prodigal brother. Barnabas is loyal and loving, but an outspoken cynic. He’s man’s best friend and man’s sharpest critic.

Alot of Irish names there, are they shooting in Ireland ?

Advertisement