Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of Nicola Bulley, Lancashire UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Or unless it is a total tool of a dog. I’ve a spaniel he’s smart as hell, my brother in law has another one and he’s thick as the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭Xander10

Expert Diver or attention seeker? The police had already searched that area of the river with similar side scan sonar equipment and indeed further along the river.

I still believe her body will eventually come to the surface at some part of the river

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭Deeec

Yeah they should have acted straight away. I also found it odd that the second person who came to the scene recognised the phone as Nicola's - I couldnt identify anybodies phone by just looking at it - soemtimes I even have problems finding my own if on a table of other phones etc!. Assuming that after a short while the phone locked and noone could access photos/numbers etc without a password how the hell would they know that the phone was Nicolas. She could have had a distinctive cover etc but most people dont note peoples phone covers - I dont anyway. Maybe she recognised the dog but reports say though that this person recognised the phone as Nicolas which is strange.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

The screen saver could have been of Nicola and her family?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭MudSpud

The diver team insist that if she had entered the river she would definitely have been found by now. Looking at that picture above, the river looks very calm, slow moving so it's not like the current would have carried her far away. Police say they are pretty sure that she entered the river. The only way I can think of them saying this is because they have some evidence that she did so. What evidence might that be? Footprints leading down to the water? Could she have entered the water and then swam/waded to the other side and gotten out again and then absconded? It's very puzzling.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

She didn't recognise the phone or the dog, she didn't know her.

She told her family when she got back and her family went down an hour and 17 minutes later and recognised the dog and then alerted the school.

I know - I did say in my post that it was the second person on the scene that recognised the phone.

Yeah it may be completely normal for Nicola to turn off her camera and microphone or it may be unusual . She may not be required to have any input in the meeting and was just listening in/logged in. Im sure the police have looked into this.

I wonder what her normal routine was.

• Did she go on this same walk every day
    • Did she usually stop and sit at the bench
    • The zoom call suggests it was a working day for her so probably she had planned a short walk and be back at her desk working. What time would she usually have been back home at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

I’ve read that she had a Fitbit on, presumably that data would have been relayed to the phone? Maybe that’s why the police were so sure she entered the water. I also read some very disturbing stuff online from other armchair detectives about what may have happened to her but that’s pure speculation so I won’t repeat it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Apologies I read it wrong.

For what appeared to be a bit of a popular walking spot it is strange no one else came across the scenario and has come forward in that rather large time frame.

The "problem" with the case is the police are pretty absolute of what happened (at least publicly), but her friends and family are pretty absolute too and some are vocal in the media.

That private search company were brought in not to find a body but to prove there wasn't one in the river. So their pretty outspoken owner has added credence to the friends and families claims, add in the fact their is an entry and exit point not covered by cameras which leads to an extremely busy road.

So either the police are spot and it was a freak accident, or that is the narrative they are pushing to achieve something else.

Bringing in the NCA into a case of suspected accidental drowning is fairly strange though. As is having 40+ detectives on it - although that could explained by the amount of attention on the case.

If the police are not playing a part for operational reasons, then the most plausible scenario is a freak accident TBH.

Regarding the recognition of the phone, the Teams call was still active was it not? If so, her name and photograph would have been on the screen.

I live fairly near a river and sadly suicides/ accidental drownings are common. We would see river rescue/ rescue helicopter out fairly regular looking for people. Usually bodies are found pretty quickly. It usually never even makes local newspapers let alone national newspapers. Drownings in rivers in England is also an everyday occurrance that doesnt make the news. The Nicola Bulley case has been made very public though by the police which is unusual. The police have been known to use media to divert attention and put suspects at ease etc - they use it to divert attention which could be whats happening here.

The private diving expert has been too vocal but he could be 100% correct in what he is saying. Weather conditions are quite good for the time of year and the river is actually low. Bodies in rivers are usually found and divers know the river well. The convenient bench to place the phone is odd, the dogs behaviour is odd etc. I agree with you that for what seems to be a popular spot nobody seen anything - surely some walker along the river would have spotted something.

One way or the other ( dead or alive) I hope she is found for the families sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

I always find it strange conclusions people come to.

Such as. She arranged a play date. So she definitely didn't commit suicide.

Not suggesting she did kill herself, but people often behave perfectly normal right up to the act.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

There's plenty of potential bias/reaching for conclusions from both sides I think.

- Police where starting to come under pressure with relation to public safety concerns from community

- Private hire diver was brought in to prove a negative

Her family have said she's a strong swimmer. I'd like to know what that equates to. I swim in the Irish sea regularly enough and I still wouldn't call myself a strong swimmer. I'd say I'm competent.

But put hiking boots and winter clothing on me and throw me in a river unexpectedly and I'm unsure how I'd react.

Id hope the police are still looking at the potential for foul play as well as their main working theory of accidental drowning.

They should have come out and said that's our main theory but we're not ruling out foul play as we've no body yet.

Would they have access to the Fitbit yet? If her partner/family didn’t know her passwords, what’s the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

indeed, In general research points to that people who have decided how they will die, actually become quite upbeat in the days up to the date they have chosen.

However, no one knows in this particular case and I’m not going to speculate either. If the river “took” her, it could have been accidental, a sudden illness (heart attack or similar), a deliberate act by her or someone else.

The river has many bushes and reeds and what not lining the edge of it- it also can flow fast at times- it also flows into the Irish Sea- I do wonder what level of checks they have made on the whole river or just how much of it has been searched at this point

Was it confirmed she was wearing it at the time?

I imagine it's straight froward enough for the police to get a warrant to get data from fitbit.

News reports from a couple of days ago suggest that they’ve analysed the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

Claire Byrne had a segment on it earlier. They stated groups of well meaning people had showed up to search the abandoned house, despite it being private property. The danger here is the armchair detectives think they know more than the police & might actively interfere with the investigation hampering the result…

• Advertisement

• That’s not correct. Having said that, I don’t know how far the bore might reach, its timing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I know i don't bring a phone anywhere near water now from experience of dropping them into it

If I had the phone in my hand and had to move toward the water I'd instinctively leave it down

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭MudSpud

Well you can draw logical conclusions from certain aspects of a case. Like is a person goes missing we can deduce that they were abducted, they absconded/ran away, they committed sucide or befell a terrible accident, or that mental issues or substance abuse caused them to enter a state whereby they didn't know who or where the were and were just wandering around aimlessly or living on the street. You can kind of rule out the last one if there has never been any pattern of such behaviour in the past. If a person disappears and takes their passport then it's logical to assume that their intention was to flee the country. I know it doesn't automatically rule out the other scenarios but if someone normally keeps their passport at home in a drawer and then they disappear taking it with them then the finger points to an absconding.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I would be surprised if this abandoned house, if it's in a remote area, doesn't get frequented by randomers (without regard to this case). So if there's any chance it's connected to the case then the police need to be there.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

He was fairly clear on his expert opinion that she would likely be in the spot she fell in

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

I think at this stage this guy is the biggest red herring in the case so far. Experts can and have known to be wrong. Take what he says on board sure but pretending that just because this one lad says she can’t be in the water means she 100% isn’t is silly.

He does seem certain she never entered the water at that spot - he would be a fool to be so public if he wasnt sure. Its apparently the family that wanted to hire this diving expert and his equipment as they dont believe she entered the water - they seem to disagree with the polices theory about Nicola being in the river. The police have lost valuable time ( if they are only investigating the river theory) if there is something more sinister to Nicola going missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Advertisement

When people are where they fell in. They tend not to need this expert :)

What he stated 100% was. She is not in the water in the area he searched in. He did not say 100% she's not in the water.

If he did, please provide link.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement