Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Property Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,213 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There is **** all out there, not even a half decent fixer upper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Newhome23

Just got an email that new phase of houses launching in Whitechurch soon. What did the last phases cost does anyone know? Are they going up in price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Firstly a D1 rating isn’t that bad. It might just need a more modern boiler with heating controls & thermostatic valves on the rads to bring it's BER rating up hugely. So say 5k to get to a B rating maybe!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eilyp

A site for sale on the Blackrock road with Redfords estate agents. Asking price 550k. Anybody know why these sites have been on the market for years? Sites would usually be snapped up in this area, even with a huge asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭theboringfox

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm struggling to figure out exactly what plot of land it is. Is it the area circled below, basically in the front garden of that ginormous pile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Shauna677

i was thinking that too, that house will require a retrofit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Good luck.

A boiler will cost 2-3k. A new front door another 2k. That is your 5k gone there and then.

A new stove to seal up the fireplace will be about 5k all in.

Never mind new windows, pumping the walls, insulating the floor or walls or the attic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

hah.

590K for the 4 bedroom detached in Kerry pike. 135sqm.

And now with the interest rates about to hit 4.5% to 5% for mortgages after todays rate... best of luck shifting that. Anyone who pays that price was clearly desperate

That's a tiny 4 bed detached. I'm going for elmbury 3 bed semi in next phase and they are 122sqm.

Crazy price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Where is that, another new estate? That's mad money alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Arlington development with Savills

And I wouldn't mind but I think they are just testing the market because my brother rang also I got 565, which is a very specific number to get wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭notAMember

That circled area is opposite the way onto the greenway from the blackrock road. Beside dundanion, by the petrol station.

Where did you get this pic out of interest, I thought the site that was advertised was on the opposite side of the road, up by menloe? Daft and redfords websites are both unreliable for location, and I can't find the planning permission they say they have.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I circled the area based on the location pin on Daft, but it would make sense that it's unreliable because that would be a weird place to sell a site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Deub

I’ve just received an email for this place:

It was sold in 2013 for 290k and they are now looking for 600k. It says it needs renovations and modernisation. No pics for the inside.

I searched a bit and found a property on the same street (nb 35) that sold for 300k in 2011. It was recently renovated (pictures are still on Facebook) and sold for 625k in Dec 2020.

It looks like they are trying to get the same return without doing the renovations simply based on the fact they think 4 houses could be squeezed there (no planning permission has been sought though).

I would have thought 450k would be about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭crayon80

Omg I typed an almost identical post when i got the email and lost the draft... was wondering if I'd submitted after all 😂

The only other thing I found was there was an article in the examiner in 2011 saying it could be a great site for a 2500-3000sq ft house. Obviously that didn't happen lol. I was annoyed by the drawings making it look like planning is a foregone conclusion. Even if they DO point out there's no planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Deub

They are clearly targeting builders. That is some level of risk for them though. If they manage to build 4 houses, what could they realistically sell them for?

only the land is 150k+ some costs (demolition of the dwelling, planning permissions).

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SummerK

Got to know that new phase of 4 bed unit (126 sq mt) at Castle Court in Whitechurch were launched yesterday for 405k (Up 65k from the previous phase @ 340k). Looking at the Arlington & then castle court prices, looks like this is the last leg of high asking prices before people realize that these houses are not worth considering high interest rates. It will be interesting to see the future of housing in Ireland.

No fear of asking prices on new builds not been met, if they become too high the government will just plow more money into schemes to make them "affordable". First home is currently buy 70% of a house, buy half a house mustn't be far off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

I did enquire about Arlington in Kerry Pike. I got €590k as asking price so interesting if someone got lower afterwards. But not surprised as the few Clonlara houses that sold second hand went for crazy money

Anybody familiar with Barleyfields in Whitechurch? Heard castle court only released 6 houses last week. All reserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

WHy would a house be "cash buyers only"?

I'm not interested in this place at all but it's the first time I saw this condition on a property. Is it condemned or something?

34 Orchard Court, Blackpool, Cork City, Co. Cork is for sale on Daft.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,669 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Cash sales are quicker/less likely to fall through as no finance is needed and the buyer doesn’t need to sell in order to buy. A lot of sellers prefer cash sales over financed ones, even at a lower selling price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Mav11

There might also be some issue with the property that would make it difficult to get a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Yes it is usually some issue with property that they know may lead to issue with mortgage. Cash buyer is preferable to mortgage but not material difference. Legals not mortgage approval and documentation in my experience was the delay so would not have been faster or smother purchase if I had been paying in cash.

Also rates are rising and agents are aware someone with Approval in Principle may have been assessed on much lower rate four months ago than will be available by close. That wasnt a factor in recent years. So theyll be getting worried ppl bid up but then realise final mortgage approval is lower. Not a concern for cash buyer

Hawkes road in Bishopstown the affordable housing has launched. 35 houses, only a few 3 bed though. 2 bed €246k, 3 bed €289k. Great location but parking will be a big issue with 23 spaces for 67 houses.

Where can I get more info on this? Would be wiling to buy the 2 bed off the plans like straight away.

Thanks.

Just looking at the "how to apply" section.

It says you need approval in principle, or just a screenshot of an online calculator.

Literally just a random calculator that you see on daft? Has anybody gone through this process before?

Finance requirement:

A mortgage letter of approval in principle from Bank/ Building Society / Local Authority

or

Photograph/screen shot of use of an on-line calculator to demonstrate finance purchase

What exactly does the second line mean? So I don't actually need approval in principle?

Bonus question - how quickly can one get approval in principle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭Timing belt

It will be years till it’s built if approved just like all the apartments that have planning for years and years that will never be built unless costs drop or rents rise to make it worthwhile

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Advertisement