Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Obviously disappointing given that it was worth a lot more a month ago but maybe it’s not that crazy considering it’s a 4 year old car that now costs €60K new.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭KLF

@Killer K @kennethsmyth

Great stuff. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Still very low given the base SR+ models are now selling privately for about €33k (likely to drop to about €30 in the next few weeks / months). I would have thought a Performance should sell for close to €40k privately. Tough market out there though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I got 56,050 for 2020, white on white with EAP.

I am sooooo looking forward to the revised trade price 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

How can Tesla run an English reg demo in Ireland - do the VRT rules not apply to them? I understood that no Irish residents are allowed to drive a U.K. registered car in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Trade plates as Eml mentioned.

Or some work around with the car being registered to Tesla UK, therefore not Irish.

BMW done it and any other other dealer that was bringing in UK cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭liyan

I'm not an expert in this, so I could be totally wrong. But according to what I learned recently, LFP isn't really a new battery technology, and has its own pros/cons compared with NCA.

It has lower energy density than NCA, so LFP packs less kWh than NCA with the same volume - hence less range on RWD than LR. And it has poorer cold weather performance. But it has two main advantages:

1) It's cheaper than NCA.

2) It has longer cycle life, i.e. it can live with more charging cycles than NCA.

The latter advantage is probably key for your decision making. Tesla recommends always charging LFP to 100% where possible. So you can fully utilise the claimed range of 455km for daily driving.

For LR, the recommendation is only charging to 80% or 90% max, which leads to a similiar daily range as LFP.

RWD vs LR really depends on your need. If you are not doing many long trips, RWD would be sufficient IMO. If you want the longest possible range and don't mind the extra 7k EUR, LR is probably the way to go.

Speed or all-wheel drive is not important to me. As MY is going to be used as a family car.

Use my referral link to purchase a Model 3 or Model Y and save 500 EUR: https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/yan759808

• Advertisement

@liyan - You forgot the third main advantage: safety!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

I haven't entered any details other than setting up the account and paying the deposit. Is it possible to enter a different name at the registration phase?

Yes, you are absolutely correct - LFP has much higher threshold for heat.

Tesla appears to have pretty good battery safety management with not many cases of NCA battery caught fire? Hope it stays this way. 😊

Use my referral link to purchase a Model 3 or Model Y and save 500 EUR: https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/yan759808

Yes. As per the below screenshot, the 4th step of the process, "Registration", will prompt you to put in the name, home address, as well as uploading the front and back of the driver license, of the owner for the coming car.

And you can do the above now, without having to await the assignment of the VIN.

Yes. If you click into your account, you should see a picture of the car. Click manage and then follow the steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭KLF

And LFP has no cobalt so you can shut down the people who start talking about child labour and environmental damage in the Congo.

And of course then go on to tell them they should immediately stop using their petrol and diesel cars, because their fuel is refined using cobalt. If they are sincere about doing something about child labour in the Congo, they should just cycle or walk. Or get an EV 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

If LFP was the only battery technology, most of the supply & cost constraints of EVs would have disappeared years ago. What BYD have done with the Blade structural battery pack is arguably much more profound than Tesla's pending 4680, which I guess is why Tesla will be using it in MIG RWD cars/

The NCM/NCA chemistry has people spoiled to expect supercar acceleration from an otherwise pedestrian saloon/SUV. On the flip side, if Tesla had not given their pedestrian saloon supercar acceleration and convinced the world that electric was better, we'd all be buying Euro 7 diesels...

@ds20prefecture - "which I guess is why Tesla will be using it in MIG RWD cars"

You got that bit wrong, it's simply the cheapest way for Tesla to get batteries into cars being produced in both Germany and China 😁

I posted it on the thread here at some stage last year, but the BYD batteries are even cheaper for Tesla to buy then the CATL ones, at just $80 per kWh at pack level iirc. So just $4400 for a MIG RWD Model Y with the BYD pack.

Totally agree on Tesla's supercar performance for a fraction of the price having paved the way for the acceptance of EVs

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jjohnrockk

Can we change payment method on app to a new method? After submission I.e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Dublin Designs

I think LFP batteries degrade faster initially if you charge to full 100%. Better to charge less unless you actually need that full range. Reason for full charge is that. Range is calculated from the voltage level. LFP has a lower voltage and voltage decline is more difficult to establish due to the lower Delta. Its more for Tesla to accurately predict the range. But at your own cost to yoir battery health. Sure do it a few times to 100%.But dont make it a habit as its not as good for the longer term health. Something to consider.

@unkel :" You got that bit wrong, it's simply the cheapest way for Tesla to get batteries into cars being produced in both Germany and China "

Maybe, but i'll bet we're still getting CATL LFP cells in our RWD MIC MY. Would be delighted if that's changed to BYD but the stated range would have to change I believe.....

Have you a reference for this advice? The LFP battery in my attic is charged to 100% and stays there most of the day on sunny days. The manufacturer guarantees the number of cycles of the battery (80% remaining after 6000 cycles or 11 years I believe). They do mention not to leave the battery below 80% SOC if storing it for a long time and to recharge it every 6 months or so.

note that that Pylontech LFP battery is uses passive thermal management unlike the tesla which is water cooled to remain operating the optimal temperature range.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

White RWD great qualifying in inventory at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

With a tow hitch too...

Roll-up, Roll-up....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

pity they would likely offer me 28k as a trade in on a car I bought 6 months ago for 54k!

EDIT: Oh and also, it's not MSM. No msm means no purchase as far as I'm concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Nothing to base this on but id say the inventory side will be chaotic over the next month... With the price changes impacting people selling their current cars they could be a lot of stock put up for resale,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Same boat as yourself was offered €27K + change for. 09/22 MSM M3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

called .. it was gone already

Advertisement