Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Played through the prologue of Metroid Prime and it looks and plays great. Crucially it doesn’t look like they’ve just plastered higher res textures on there (a problem with many remasters) - instead, they’ve taken care to make it look great on modern displays while staying true to the aesthetic of the original. MP has always been a looker that ran like a dream anyway, but great to see it looking so good… with a modern dual stick control scheme to boot.

Never played Pikmin so for me the GB/GBA games on NSO, Metroid Prime and TOTK were my highlights. Especially looking forward to Golden Sun again.

It would have been extra nice to get a teaser of some sorts for Metroid Prime 4 and then show that MP1 is dropping today. Have they ever dropped a game first digitally and then it later comes to physical before?

Lots for the analysis YouTubers to pour through with Zelda. It definitely looks like it’s following Majora’s Mask with a much darker tone.

Oh and I forgot about the Mario Kart Booster Pack. That new Yoshi’s Island track looks amazing AND they’re adding characters with Birdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And no mention of any kind of tie in with the Mario movie.

Seeing the list of upcoming Gameboy games in that video, I wonder how they'll do Kirby Tilt n Tumble. Probably have to use the joy con accelerometer. Unless they have a workaround.

And if they do port Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, will that mean all mainline Zelda games are available on Switch in some form?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I would have liked if oracle of seasons/ages got the same remake as links awakening that'd have been a nice surprise... But shall not complain with 4 zelda games in 1 direct!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Metroid Prime remaster was a nice surprise; never have actually played the original. Didn't own the console so it passed me by - while never quite sure where I stand with 3D Metroidvania games.

Otherwise? Tears of the Kingdom looks good though I'll be interested to know what mechanics they're adding, even if "more of the same" isn't a terrible prospect. Sea of Stars has my attention, if only 'cos The Messenger was an ambitious game with a big gameplay twist - so curious if this follow-up has something beyond it "just" being a fairly luscious looking 16 bit RPG.

I thought the Boyonetta Origins game was going be be like some €15 indie type deal... See its up for €60! I didn't think it looked that good!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

BTW, I hadn't realised but anyone tempted by Sea of Stars, there's a demo already available on the e-store.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Boyonetta

Reminds me of that Hogwarts Legacy issue ... 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You need to play Metroid Prime.

That's my PSA for today.

• Advertisement

I've so little experience with FPS games on console I suspect playing it might be embarrassing for me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

More of a First Person platformy adventure in my opinion rather than a full on shooter (though obviously a decent amount of that involved too!)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah, it's actually closer to Zelda. The original game doesn't use traditional controls and had you lock on to enemies and move around them like in ocarina of time. Pretty sure the new version has that lock on.

Basically you don't have to aim and it's more about dodging.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Got Okami vibes from Bayonetta during that video art styles were very cool but that voice will be worse than Navi. Etrian Odyssey way too pricey for me €80 or €38 each they will be on my wait for a sale list.

Interesting, might give it a whirl then; god knows I've heard enough about the game down the years, and unlike something like Goldeneye, doesn't look like a piece of shít that didn't vibe with the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Ya, it doesn't look interesting to me either, nor like a €60 game. Bayonetta 3 has limped over 1 million sales, that's not great. The game on Wii U I think eventually sold 860,000 copies. But as RGT85 pointed out last night, I think it was him, that was on a system that sold 13 million units and that Platinum Games and Nintendo can't be happy with it after all the years of development and investment. The Switch has an install base of 120+ million, so it's not good really. Yes you can say it's only been 3 months, but for comparison, Bayonetta 2 sold 300,000 copies in 9 weeks on Wii U, while on Switch, in the same time it sold 400,000 copies. I can't see this spin-off being a big seller and at that price, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I have somehow never played it. Despite owning it for 20 years.

The question now is where to play ? Gamecube, Wii or Switch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

MP: I got the Wii trilogy for I think 10 or 20 euro on Wii U e-shop. That was back in the day when Nintendo were desperate.

Bayonetta: is just too OTT for most people I would imagine, especially Nintendo's audience. It would do much better if opened up onto PC/XBox/PS. I think Nintendo are missing a trick here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looking at how Nintendo manage their IP, I think Bayonetta will make money for them for years to come, whatever the initial sales numbers are like.

Re: Okami vibes, that's exactly my reaction too!

Metroid Prime Remastered looks and plays fresh, fingers crossed that the other titles of the franchise make an appearance.

That said...

40 euro for just one makes me worry that the three are going to set us back 120, which is an obscene amount of money for such older titles, even with the remaster work.

My hope was a trilogy pack for around €70 or so.

But...

I'll buy them regardless...

We bought Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD at full price and some are willing to do it again on the Switch so not too hard to believe these would be sold separately and sell well. That's assuming they do the other 2.

• Advertisement

Direct on March 9th for the Super Mario Movie.

No GAME information.... But Ninty doesn't exclude HARDWARE information..... 🤔

Hope if they have the cast that they show more enthusiasm.

But yeah, probably announce that Switch that was leaked.

Join us tomorrow, 19/04, at 17:00 (Irish time) for a new Indie World Showcase! Tune in for roughly 20 minutes of reveals, announcements, and updates on indie games for Nintendo Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Come on, Silk Song. 🙂

Indie World Showcase – 19/04/2023 (Nintendo Switch)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not bad but not fantastic either. Some good looking games in there.

That presentation was awful for the first 8 or 9 minutes, but thankfully it picked up after that. Animal Well, Teslagrad 2, Blasphemous II and Oxenfree II look good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Good lord, even skipping through for short bursts that was as unbearable as most Youtubers. That'll teach me for trying to watch the stupid extended advert instead of just waiting for someone to post a list of the games 🙄

Advertisement