Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The original art director is complaining on twitter they messed up the alpha on the doors as he put a huge amount of work into getting them right. He does clarify that he thinks overall it's a stunning conversion and nothing a patch wouldn't fix. The original game looked incredible but it's very obvious from the trailer that the environment detail has been increased massively and the models are a big improvement.

I could hear the phendrana drifts music when watching that trailer last night. I'm so jealous of people that are getting to experience the game for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's a shame, because there are a few Switch games I've always wanted to play, but I also know those would be the only games I'd ever play on the console because so little of what the Switch does (as per this Direct) appeals to me. Same with most Nintendo consoles over the years.

The only thing that really appealed to me from the Direct was the Dead Cells Castlevania DLC, but mainly because it's Dead Cells. I've never played any Castlevania games. Even the Zelda game, there wasn't a lot to see from the trailer and I haven't played Breath of the Wild (because I can't justify getting a Switch) so it has minimal impact on me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find it funny that the Nintendo direct took down twitter last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

This game is the MP4 team getting up to speed.

There was talk of a remastered mp4 logo at this direct.

Could well be setting up for a 2023 q4 release with this remaster. Apparently this remaster has been oven ready for a long while and sitting ready for a release.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Bah, disappointing to see that it's now suffering from pointless map markers, just like BotW.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

For anyone who hasn't played it before then yep it's worth the 40 quid. I've been playing it on the Steam Deck recently and it still plays great, so not interested in the remaster personally. I still have the original GameCube version up in the attic - one of my favourite Nintendo games - the move to 3D was incredible, just like Zelda on the NS4 before it.

Any Metroid fan who has not played Prime are in for a proper treat!

Had a look at the Zelda trailer - other than the parts in the sky - is it the exact same map/locations as the first one? And I'm guessing they're sticking with the breakable weapons? Even as a Zelda fan, I didn't like BoTW that much so not sure the sequel will change that.

I've not been keeping close track of it but it does seem to be set in the same world a couple of years on, so the same map and added sky areas. I've a feeling this is going to be a Majora's Mask/Link between worlds type Zelda with a very similar structure to BotW but some additions that make the game loop wildly different.

I'll die on the hill that says BotW weapon degradation is great and makes the combat interesting. Just ignore your weapon hoarding anxiety and use what weapons you have at hand. They game doles out more weapons than you ever need to use or can pick up. If you think nintendo added weapon degradation to the game with out fully testing it and exploring it and then deciding, yes, this addition improves the combat so much that we are including it, doesn't know how nintendo operate. I really believe the combat would be far less interesting without it.

Agree.

Skyrim I loved, but I can't go back to it because I've too much **** in my inventory and it's all in one big stupid list. Much anxiety! Keep meaning to find a mod to sort all that crap out, but then it starts to feel like my day job. 😂

• Advertisement

It's a hard thing to let go of and recognise that it is a problem for some people. I blame resident evil and being so careful with item and consumable use. But how many FF games have you gotten to the end of with an inventory full to the brim of megaelixirs and other brokenly powerful items because 'you never know when I might need this'. I think Zelda probably needed a disclaimer 'weapon management will never be an issue, go wild'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭McFly85

I wasn’t a huge fan - don’t mind the concept of weapon degradation but most weapons in BotW had the durability of a packet of biscuits. You might find a weapon you like after a while but hate the idea of using it because it’ll be gone pretty soon and you don’t know when you’ll find another one. And shoehorning degradation into the master sword felt a bit cheap to me.

If they allowed weapons to last longer but degrade their effectiveness over time I think I’d enjoy it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Consumables are a big reason why I struggled to get into Soulborne games at the start. Without farming, they're rare enough that you get given just about enough for one or two attempts at the next boss or major enemy/area, but not enough for multiple tries. So usually I would have ended up plugging away at bosses without consumables (eg. greases for weapons, or throwable items) because I didn't want to use them, fail and have to farm them, that I'd end up beating the boss without using them at all. Some of the consumables are also so rare and circumstantial that you might never really figure out where and when it's most useful.

Even Elden Ring, you collect all sorts of flowers and crafting materials throughout, as well as numerous types of cookbooks and recipes. But apart from crafting stuff to negate scarlet rot, I barely used any of it.

Which would be valid if there wasn't an absolute butt load of weapons and all weapon type came in a vast array of types and varieties. It wasn't really a game like D&D where you pick a weapon class and stick with it. Haven't got a spear? Take out an axe. Hell you also had powers to experiment with.

What I don't get about the complaints was that you always had something in your pocket to take out and use, you were never defenseless (although the weapon degradation was balanced in a way to make it feel like you were in the same way Resi 4 built consumable tension).

Honestly I think we are always going to go around in circles in this. While I think that it did enrich the combat in the game I think it might have been better communicated with the player that holding on to weapons is going to negatively affect playing. I mean you really should be making use of the very satisfying mechanic of throwing your weapon when it's about to break to get a massive increase in damage if it connects.

For me at least, disliking the weapon degradation wasn't about hoarding anxiety as you put it - I just found it inconvenient and annoying having a weapon break mid combat or having to keep an eye on it's durability etc. I much prefer how FromSoftware do it - give you plenty of different and interesting weapons to use - and I found myself getting attached to a few that serve you well through so many pain in the ass fights. Anyway, it wasn't just the weapons that put me off BoTW.

Do you remember when the older souls bournes games had weapon degradation? And how on PC at 60 FPS weapon durability was doubled.... and From never fixed it.

Now that was weapon degradation worth being annoyed with.

Thankfully I do not remember the FPS related issue. One benefit of getting older. 😁

I just remember being stranded with a broken weapon in Dark Souls 2 one too many times. It was a engine bug with DS1 which they didn't even bother to fix with DS2 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I downloaded Daytona USA on to my Xbox One X a few days ago. I originally started playing it on my Xbox 360 over ten years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Any idea if there'll be map markers in the new Zelda? 😛

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,800 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Played The Forest earlier, holy ****, great experience! Oh look, a group of monkeys running around on all 4's... wait, they're not monkeys.... oooohhh no.

It's insane to think that it was a 1993 game. It's pretty much Dreamcast level graphics and the DC didn't come out until 1998. I mean it had bilinear filtered texture mapping, first game ever to use it, and ran at 60 FPS. In 1993 we were all mostly playing Aladdin on the SNES and Megadrive, maybe muddling with early 3D on a 386 or 486 machine, maybe a 3DO or jaguar if you were unfortunate.

I hope they add a map marker to every area your weapons broke as a gentle reminder.

Sega really lost it. Shame.

Still making great games. I'm actually surprised at the middling reviews of sonic frontiers as it's a game I thoroughly enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

I dabbled in it last month and it's good but felt like a game where defo needed play it co op?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I started playing Gears Judgement the other day, was in the mood of Gears and it is the only game in the series I haven't played. The server still had my X360 save from 10 years ago when I first started it, I was well impressed. Looks shockingly good for a 360 game too - pity the game itself is a pile of smelly pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Savage, have that song stuck in my head at twenty to ten on a Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The long-delayed documentary about the making of Psychonauts 2 (from the team that made the Double Fine Adventure one) has finally surfaced - it's 32 parts long, with the parts seemingly ranging from around 20 mins to a feature-length final episode. Being released publicly later today.

Quite the undertaking but could well be *the* definitive documentary about the making of a single video game!

Advertisement