Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

They jumped on earnings last week ($101-$107), the drop back to $100 yesterday was blamed on a technical issue with a AI demo it gave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 34 DirectorKrennic

I've been interested in the market for years and used to work with high net worth clients and retail clients. I worked with retail clients in 2016 and they always bought really speculative stuff, the wealthy clients bought boring blue chip, Bank of America, etc. Personally some stocks I like now are Ulta Beauty, LVMH, and Coca Cola. I'm unlikely to buy Tesla and Amazon because the p/e ratio is too high, I'm very boring and just invest a little bit each month into the S&P 500. I also like the Nifty Fifty. Only shame is Ireland taxes ETF's at what 42% every 8 years? I've always felt it is a great shame we don't encourage small shareholders to invest the way they do in Australia, Canada and the USA. All everyone can remember are the bank stocks collapsing and eircom but the opportunity to become a part owner of the largest companies in the world is a wonderful freedom to have that people don't take advantage of. Sometimes I mention buying stocks to people I've just met and they look at you like you've two heads lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Basically it's the difference between those trying not to lose their small fortune and those trying to make theirs.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Alphabet nose diving could be a good opportunity to jump on, I don't think Chat GPT is a risk in the short to medium term.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Exactly, high net worth individuals are looking for safe haven to beat inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 DirectorKrennic

Yeah I mean the approach I saw the high net worth clients take was very conservative, somewhat 'boring' as an investment strategy. Yet, over time none of their investments would implode, they were well diversified and then because of the large size of their portfolios would be brining in thousands in dividend income a month. I did see a lot of retail investors at peak cannabis time do 10-20x on their initial investments however anyone who sold out made a fortune, those who held on would have lost a fortune. I personally am not wealthy and am trying to mimic what I saw the wealth do with my portfolio, I've been able to outperform the S&P 500 in bad years, not perform as well in good years but when you only have a few k, I mean, turning a few thousand into a fortune is going to take a very long time realistically. Good to see people in Ireland are somewhat interested in investing though. As they say in that book 'Capital' we can't rely solely on our labour income indefinitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭daheff

agreed. i bought a small amount ~95 on the back of this. I think the embarrassment alone will make them redouble their efforts and the share price will recover reasonably quickly.

Yeah I think 95 and under is a good price however I've been using chat Gpt the last few days and it's very impressive.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

Is there a way to track just the Irish index?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭crushproof

4D Pharma DDDD officially gone bust, I'd say there's lots of disappointed and annoyed investors on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭1percent

Ya I was left bag holding on DDDD not too bad only €400, I assume it will be closed off on Degiro and the loss will be written off against my CGT this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭daheff

there used to be an Irish ETF. not sure if its still going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I think we are due another dump again. After flip flopping a few times in the last week am back to 40% stocks (v high conviction - PERI, MGNI, DOCN, BAM, BN) and 60% cash. DOCN is massively volitile and my biggest concern, MGNI has earnings coming up and could soar or dump but advertising has been doing doing well recently so i'm hopeful.

BAM defaulted on loans for two skyscrapers in LA which is concerning but the market doesnt seem bothered, doesnt sit well with me, may trim some there.

Very happy to see that the Irish taxation rules on ETF's are under review, if they became treated like stocks I'd go ETF only to be honest. About time we joined the rest of the world in that regards.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I'm in PERI since it was $13 a couple of years ago so nearly 3x by now and i expect 4x at least by EOY this year.

They are an adveritising busines with increasing revenues from CTV (steaming) and have a partnership with Microsoft Bing that produces a nice revenue stream but increasingly less and less as other sources grow.

They constantly beat on earnings and more often than not raise estimes between earnings. When the market dropped last year by ~20% they rose ~20%. Their CEO is brilliant though is stepping back this summer which is a concern however he is remaining as a Board member and his replacement was hand picked by him several years ago so hopefully it will be business as usual for the foreseable = better shareprises

Post edited by Supercell on

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mine are like a rollercoaster at the moment. Up down up down up down up down pretty much daily.

Looks like the US market is about to dip below the MOAT line again, last 14 months have been a disaster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

Anyone tempted by Amazon yet? No position but might be getting to a level I'd consider a buy, long-term hold only.

• Advertisement

CRH moving to US based stock exchange, might be a good time to jump on.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I find with those stocks, most pension funds have loads of them anyway, so I tend to leave them at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Was about to bail out of a small position, I have in CRH. Thankfully didn't. Its up about 20% this week alone. US infrastructure spending should be a positive tailwind going forward.

Unfortunately I did sell out of positions I had in Cairns homes and Permanent TSB, which are also up about 20% in the last week or two. ISEQ in general going gangbusters these days.

I've a small bit of CRH. Bought it in April 2020 for €24.40. It's one of my smallest positions, but my largest gain at present.

Speculate to create wealth, and be conservative to maintain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭notsocutehoor

Presumably they will still be maintaining their secondary listing in Dublin.

Probably the safest, if unspectacular, share you could invest in.

Currently trading at 10 times cash flow with a ROI of 13%. Not exactly dear even at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jant2

I see CRH and CRH (ADR) listed. Would the US listing tend to mirror the price of the other? Is there a rational for purchasing one over the other?

Please bear with me, I am new to investing.

Yes the prices will mirror each other within a few cents. Buying in US is cheaper transaction costs, but you get the currency risk if the dollar/euro fluctuates too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Is anyone here in Malin Corporation? Interesting to see the buyback offer at €9.30 a pop. Seems to be at a decent premium to where its been trading at lately.

Advertisement