Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie Ahern rejoins Fianna Fail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Gerry won't be standing in any Presidential election.

don't get the fuss about Bertie, he gets to meet the cumann lads for a pint, and maybe be rolled out for a wave now and then at some public meetings, but won't have any influence over anything. Strange to see that it is opposition supporters getting all excited about this, I thought some FF people might have something to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭CarProblem

"I thought some FF people might have something to say"

Tbh if the FF people you refer to continue to support/vote for a party despite such a blatant history of corruption and that has bankrupt the country 3 times then there's probably nothing to say. If that doesn't put someone off the party then this surely won't either

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That is your opinion, but I am more interested in whether they are welcoming or not. Not everyone in the country thinks the government is doing a bad job, and it would be interesting to see what FF voters and members think of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Did Bertie ever really leave.

Im sure their was thing’s over the year’s ran by him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

What exactly was the issue with this - was the idea shot down just so someone could have another political pot shot at bertie...

Plenty capital cities worldwide have a large stadium or two

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

They wouldn't have brought him back unless the members were on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭blackbox

Berties return poses a difficult decision for people who gave their sixth or seventh preference to FF just to keep out SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I think the cost of it kept spiralling so they eventually decided to do up Lansdowne Road instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Was it Bertie who said "It was a political donation, for personal use" is that ethical

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

He's and FF are delusional if they think time will heal his transgressions.

Moreover it reopens old wounds and will have negative impact on FF to reassociate with Bertie and FF of that period. I think many will write them off completely now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Well if it hadda wentin' earlier, it wouldda wentin' quicker.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

Most FF members are too old to have any interest in online forums so unlikely to get there views. But I'm sure they aren't too upset. Even after the crash they had 16% of the vote, exactly where they are now in opinion polls so that core haven't changed their opinion on corruption or Bertie, they are all in favour of it.

What it does say is that the party has decided that trying to improve its 16% of the vote isn't important, which does seem like a strange position.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The point here is that if you tolerate a criminal who accepted bribes being admitted back into the party he carried out his illegal activities in you'll accept anything. I honestly believe that corruption in Ireland went on far too long because people felt they deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

As little as possible for as much as possible?

FF needs Ahern back because otherwise Adams and SF are going to dominate the 25th anniversary of the GFA. FF wants to rehabilitate Ahern as some kind of elder statesman figure.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

An utter vile 5un7.

My fervent wish is he dies screaming over a long time at that.

I won't say more than that because I do not want to say what I really feel lest I offend people.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Because of his vanity project soccer has no international stadium of its own

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That's probably more to do with the likes of Delaney and his chums doing what they could to run the FAI into the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Christ.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

id vote for bertie.

vote to have a bullet put in the center of his head.

fucking rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭Shelga

Barry Cowen on DriveTime on RTÉ just now saying Bertie is great and he’s delighted to have him back 🙄

That party really just despises anyone under 40, don’t they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

What the fcuk is it with people involved in politics in this country ? are they all criminals before they became politicians or did being a politician make them become criminals ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Very little difference in the brain makeup of politicians and criminals

It's all a bit smoke and dagger if you ask me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well you may hate him and your mates may do so, but that does not make it generally so and you can expect that FF will have done a fair bit fo sounding be making this move.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It's hard to imagine a decision which ccould be more depictive of FF contemptuously raising their middle finger to the Irish people than this.

I think, and hope, it'll be a catastrophic error on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I forgot that Leo likened Bertie's defence to John Gilligan's. Won it on a horse etc.

To be honest, he should have done prison time for his dodgy dealings and we didn't know the half of it I bet.

How much did Mahon cost us and how much of the recommended reform did Fine Gael enact? He says knowingly 😂

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I would not bother engaging they make up the rules and then get all up set when it is not going the way they want it, but if you do, you might point out to them if being in the 10 ten most wealth countries in the world is what doom looks like there are a lot of countries in Europe alone that would like to be as doomed.

I have not been over in a decade but looking at footage shot recently in Dublin, Cork and Galway - it's a wealth country. Shop fronts well maintained and stocked, people very well dressed, plenty of cafes and restaurant with a crowd, bags and bags of shopping etc... you don't see that in poor countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

He was never asked the right questions. I mean a finance minister without a bank account. One questions pops to mind. "so bertie how did your wage get paid when you were working as Minister of Finance eh by cash when everyone elses is paid into a bank account". The man is an absolute disgrace and has a neck like a jockeys b0ll0x I hope he runs for president as I think anyone who survived through the 08 crash will vote for anyone but him so ABB (Anyone but Bertie). IMO he should of stayed gone as he will be asked some very hard questions and if he doesn't answer straight it will do untold damage to FF which is great .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Well perjury for a start! Have you forgotten? Or are you that naive?

You honestly believe he won all that money on a horse and didn't need a bank account?

Actually it was 6 horses, 6 different sterling lodgements.

And of course there were the 'digout' loans from friends...

3 bob note buddy.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement