Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie Ahern rejoins Fianna Fail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

One of the most in debt countries on the planet Jim.

No doubt the city’s are doing ok but drive through some of the midlands or rural areas & it would match those third world country’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

The Mahon tribunal said he was not being truthful about the money he got and then he resigned if he had nothing to hide and was honest he would not of done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You do know what happened? Everybody does. His lies could not be proven.

Ahern: I won my sterling backing horses - Independent.ie

FORMER Taoiseach Bertie Ahern yesterday finally accepted that controversial lodgments made to his accounts were in sterling -- but claimed he won some of the money betting on horses.

During heated exchanges between Mr Ahern and his tribunal nemesis, inquiry counsel Des O'Neill, the former Taoiseach was quizzed about six lodgments made to the Irish Permanent Building Society in 1994 totalling stg£15,500.

Mr Ahern previously told the tribunal the money came from salary and expenses cheques. But yesterday he said the sterling was made up of income and some big wins on horse races.

And he said he simply "forgot" about sterling lodgments of up to stg£13,000 which he now says he bought from his friend, Manchester businessman Tom Gilroe, who died four years ago.

Mr Ahern now accepts the fresh disclosures mean that he had IR£80,000 in savings at the time he accepted a IR£22,500 'dig-out' loan from eight friends in December 1993.

Grainne Carruth broke down while giving evidence last March. Ms Carruth broke down after she accepted that lodgments she made on behalf of Mr Ahern were in sterling.

He said he could explain "these sterling lodgments if they [the tribunal] had bothered to ask me".

But yesterday Mr Ahern admitted he knew through tribunal documentation that these lodgments were in fact sterling as far back as March, more than a week before his former secretary gave her evidence.

-----------

His evidence was a complete joke. Mahon said "payments worth IR£165,000 "not truthfully accounted for".

The finance minister just about got away with it, others didn't. He was lucky it was a tribunal.

After the publication of the Mahon report, Fianna Fáil sought to expel any of its members that were found to have received corrupt payments. Bertie Ahern and Pádraig Flynn resigned from Fianna Fáil before they could be expelled.

As I said, he should have gone to prison. But this is Ireland. More tribunals was the answer.

Don't you worry though, FG promised to reform all this in 2011. Any day now...

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't hate him.

I think he was a seriously dodgy character who should be nowhere near politics ever again.

FF have seriously shot themselves in the foot welcoming him back imo.

Who do you think FF sounded it out with genuinely? FF members probably to a degree..who else?. Any of the reactions I have seen outside of dyed in the wool FF voters is overwhelmingly negative.

• Advertisement

If his lies could not be proven, why should he have gone to prison?

I presume you know how our how our justice system works.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

I'd argue that genuine folk who actually wish to do good in public life get turned off by the sleaze or have the finger pointed at them for thinking they can foster change. Look at how TD's who think outside the box or go against the grain get slagged off, smeared or insulted.

Anyhow the system now is a mess with too many differing governing bodies and layers of representations for most of our politicians to really have a chance at actually changing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

If his truth could of been proven why did he resign and why did the FF threaten to expel him back when this all blew up. I presume you know people know how to manipulate the system. Ye know like tax avoidance as apposed to tax evasion. He was not called Teflon Bertie for nothing as nothing sticks to the fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

At this stage FF don't give a fook. They are now losing all credibility. The FF cheerleaders on here are having wet dreams over Bertie as they eulogise him.

It was a toothless tribunal my boy. FF loved them for that exact reason. He was mocking the public. Everyone knew he was telling porkies. Even FF. He would have been brought to a criminal court in any other democratic country.

But stay naive and loyal, it suits you.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If all of them were not up to their necks in it he would have been sent down for a long time

in a just and honest world he would have got the Ceaușescu treatment for what he did to this country

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

The law of averages?

Some luck with the horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Perjury silly. And corruption.

Unfortunately the tribunal was not a court of law. Fortunately for you!

When Bertie resigned he said.

“In tendering my resignation, I want people to understand that this is a political decision. This is not an admission of wrongdoing. I have told the truth.

“I reject the findings of this inaccurate and unsubstantiated report in the strongest manner.”

“What has been said about me is erroneous, unwarranted and unjust. The Tribunal is not a court of law. And it is not infallible.”

-----------

In a poll at the time, 82 per cent of voters said they wanted Ahern sent to prison over his false tribunal evidence.

When Morgan Kelly the UCD economist wrote in 2007 that the Irish property market was a massive bubble, Bertie responded with...

"Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide"

Kelly also warned the government that their plan to invest in the ailing former Anglo Irish Bank was throwing good money after bad. He was ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭Shelga

Various corruption, bribery and perjury laws? As another poster said, if the rest of them weren’t also up to their necks in it, he’d have faced some actual repercussions.

I’m sure you also think OJ is as pure as the driven snow 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

you don't need to have charges brought to have committed the above.

you know this

The tribunal found he had lied and perjured himself, that's all you need

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The queen mother of scutter talk terry prone currently on prime time cheerleading for de Bert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think he just wants to be in the limelight if only a little. Rather like Tony Blair. I think being coy about whether he intends to run in the next presidential election is just a ploy to that end. I don't think he has any intention of running, hasn't a hope of being selected and not a hope of winning. Plus he doesn't look well health wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Be running for Taoiseach come the next election with his face plastered on every poster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Yep I’m surprised the raised eyebrows over this. FF has been his life. He possibly undergoing some treatment based on blushed facial appearance.

He’s back in the wider party to talk about the Good Friday agreement in the run up to the anniversary and give him some distraction and focus apart from his brisk walks around the north city.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You had a fair argument there, until that last line. Thats where it all fell apart for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't think we should Bring Back Mick McCarthy either 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bertie Ahern may feel like he wants to run for President, but I seriously doubt FF will want the expense of running a solo candidate, no matter who it might end up being.

Besides, Bertie would be 74 come the November 2025 election, four years older than even Michael D was when first elected in 2011. With a 7 year term, thats simply too old.

My own feeling is that the next coalition Government - FG+FF+somebody - will agree a consensus candidate. In my opinion it will be Mairead McGuinness and I think she'll beat anyone else handily.

If FF did end up running their own candidate it would 100% be Micheál Martin, not Bertie. Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Probably , theres old ones that will vote him in .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

i doubt very much he’ll be seeking election to any office …..

he has a substantial six figure pension and plus whatever speaking engagements bring in.

he’s in his early 70’s and all of a sudden looking every year of it… he’s got very old very quickly, he doesn’t look in great health….

he’ll never be Taoiseach or President and it’s not worth his while becoming a just a TD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Not in great health you say.

At least there is a silver lining in this thread.

Advertisement