Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

This was taken on 1st March 2018. My husband put the reindeer out for the occasion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

You are correct. That was the beast from the east. Started on 28th Feb and ran to the 4th of March.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Beast from the East, the bestest few days ever! 😁

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It really was. The excitement watching the snow fall and build. And then the return of ChristmasFM for one day only.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Speaking of cold snaps, car was an ice cube at 6.15am this morning when leaving for work, took me a few minutes to scrape the windscreen & windows free of frost/ice.

Was only thinking on the drive in, I'm looking forward to driving to & from work in daylight, I'm bored with the night driving at this stage & could do with some light, looking forward to the summer months now. Love the longer brighter evenings.

Post edited by DvB on
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

My car is still an ice cube. Sun coming up over howth so it will thaw within the hour. Grass was white this morning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Not if you had travel plans. Was supposed to be going to the UK for a loved one's special birthday. Total nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Chilly one out there this morning. Winter is hanging on in there!

Not sure how I would feel about snow in March this year....

I just got my gas and electricity bill for Dec-Jan. I’m not well after seeing it.

Im praying for a tropical March now 😂😂

My MIL got her gas bill last week - €1000.00. She just wouldn't listen and had the heating on all day every day.

• Advertisement

The poor woman that is criminal!! How is anyone expected to afford €1,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Its scary what bills some people are getting these days.

Is that before or after the €200 credit is applied 😉

I was stunned to see on my latest bill that I'm €93 in credit and thats before the 200 is counted too... as the bills are spread across 4 months still the same deducted though ☹️

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I was shook to see it after my €200 credit. Could you imagine my reaction if I didn’t have the €200 credit!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

My last electricity bill was around €260 I think. I was sick to realise that without a few euro credit left over from the last bill, a €10 off from a Supervalu rewards voucher and the €200 credit, the bill would have just been tipping €500! And it's not like the gas bills are cheap as chips either!!

I hope they are going to keep this going, or people will be sick with worry about their bills come next autumn/winter. 😐

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

To be fair, keeping it on all day everyday is abit silly especially when we are all aware of how the prices were increasing.

While there were some cold days it has been a mild enough winter. Different if we had weeks of snow etc.

There has to be a certain amount of personal responsibility too. Unless there's people in every room of the house , there's really no need to be heating the full house all day. A few throws on the chairs, draft excluders on the doors and keeping the doors closed will keep you comfortabley cosy for the most part.

Exactly. There's just no talking to some people, this is a woman who just will not listen.

We are on a level pay arrangement so while the big bill come in, we just pay the same amount all year. I find easier to budget when there isn't one large bills (apart from the lovely unexpected ones!).

While snow would be great, in the bigger scheme of things, the weather warming up would be good for everyone bill wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I've just submitted our electricity readings & it's giving an estimated bill of nearly 550euro! That includes our heating as well so on a grand scale, its not awful, but still feel a bit shocked thinking of it as I have been very mindful of what we are using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Electricity bill came in and account is in credit. Such a relief. In fairness I was 50 euro in credit on the last bill and then electric Ireland gave customers a 50 euro credit at Christmas so those two saved the day. Bill is higher than usual but a smart meter so accurate rather than estimated. Gas bill due next week and I'm terrified as it covers the snow time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I was out of contract with my current supplier yesterday. Last year, I had signed up to a 33% discount with them and none of the current offers even come close to that. My last bills were the highest they've ever been and the next one is going to jump another third or so. It really is terrifying. I'm lucky to be in a position to be able to pay the bills (albeit by making adjustments elsewhere) but there are so many who just wouldn't have the extra money needed. Food or fuel is not a decision anyone should have to make.

I suspect our saving grace is the 2 weeks we were away over Christmas. I made sure the gas central heating was off and all electrical applicances were unplugged before we left too (more for safety reasons than cost TBH)

I submit meter readings monthly now as it helps stop the silly estimates that had been way out of proportion when they used them, we always had huge bill spreads (same bill for 4 months at time) and then much smaller ones when there was a series of estimates as we'd inevitably run up credit. So since submitting monthly they have balanced out across the last 12 months with our last review kicking in for Feb with the monthly bill staying the same (as we're in credit anything else would have been suspect) which is hugely helpful when budgeting months in advance.

Just submitted a gas reading this morning as well. I like how my provider sends me an email to remind and it takes 5 secs to do on the app.

I try to watch what we use as well however with kids and the damp weather the dryer has been used more then I would have liked however has to be done.

Crazy to think that this Tuesday is officially half way through February. February really isn't hanging around this year!

There's talk of a "Beast From The East" type event towards end of this month/early MARCH. After seeing my Gas bill I really hope it's not the case, although I'm 99.9% certain there won't be any such event. The Beast from the east was once in a lifetime event, the minute media outlets report it's happening again I get the ick and go yeah that's not going to happen.

Agree, it's sensationalist nonsense. Won't happen. I don't doubt it'll get cooler but snow and stuck at home won't be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Wasn't in work 20 minutes yesterday morning and knew I'd have to go home again, I picked up this stomach bug that's been going around and boy did I have a day of it yesterday! My Father had it last week and he suffered for a couple of days as well. Don't feel too bad this morning, hopefully it's behind me now.

The wife and I were supposed to go to a hotel for a break today and we ended up cancelling it, anyway enough moaning, hope everyone has a great weekend.

Ah I feel your pain mate I had a stomach bug again last weekend from midnight Friday until noon Sunday.

I made up for it Sunday night and Monday haha 😂

Hopefully you’ll recover quick enough.

• Advertisement

We've had it in our house too @BK5 - hope you fell better soon.

Advertisement