Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Sat through Enniscorthy calf sales for the past few weeks and noticed that most of these jobbers come across as arseholes to say the least.

At the beginning of the sale they are shouting and roaring at each other during the first number of calves then they settle down and then the flashing the wads of cash at each other and then the phase turns to the nudge one another and have a quite few words and they no longer bid against one another as if quotas have to be achieved, auctioneer is having a good old laugh with them as they are filling the ringside while farmer joe is over to one side standing up with his arm in the air trying to bid on a BB heifer and the auctioneer never bothers his arse to look for anyone other than the jobbers (although I have NO proof I've see it a a few times with the same auctioneer in Enniscorthy , there are two of them, but one NEVER seems to look away from the boys whether it's a ploy to get them cheaper calves or what but it looks stinking).

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I wouldn't anyways. Let them off on good grass and they will do fine. It will take a good Friesian to put on 200kg in 7 months at that age on grass. It's a kg per day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

+1 on the above. I can't see an average FR yearling doing 200 kg in 7 months on an average run even with meal. If on better ground then perhaps but then you'll hardly need the meal either. The next problem is that a 500kg Fr store in November isn't really a candidate for winter finishing imo without the next man horsing lots more meal into him. Be more likely to be overwintered and killed the following summer.

Those sort of weights fall between 2 stools at that time of year imo, they need too much meal to finish out of the shed and yet it's a long time to store them until the following spring. If you were interested in piling on the kilos on them and maybe supplementing at grass then I'd be inclined to buy a heavier yearling to begin with. If you had them circa 600kg at sale time then you'd have a different end product and clientele imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Maybe give them a bit a month before you sell them to warm them up but not the whole summer long. You’d be no better off and you wouldn’t be long getting sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Can you bid online? You could do this even sitting ringside.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would recommend not to.u less you think you will get them to a finishing weight. Last September there was strong demand by processors for Friesians 500 iskgs. They paid around the 2.2-2.3/ kg for them. These would have been nice fleshy cattle, but it was probably a one off.

Friesians are all about having a few ent well grown animal. TBH they are an animal you need to get into the factory to make a decent margin out of them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

In Enniscorthy in the calf ring is all about the jobbers, the auctioneer in that mart is doing that for years. Back about 6 years ago was up that country on a regular bases with the work lorry and went in to try buy BB heifer calves, and could not get near the ring and was told to sit on the steps, when heifers come in tried to bid the auctioneer that would be smoking all the time would not take a bid from me and just looked away and went asked the manager what was the story and was told they had the jobbers every week. Went 3 weeks in a row and got no calf. No wonder that mart is struggling with Newross and Carnew taking so much of the business from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭kk.man

I went to enniscorthy to buy cattle a few years ago. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭Grueller

Last time I was in Enniscorthy to buy heifers I actually fell asleep in the seats. The auctioneer in there would put years on St Peter he's that sloe and the boys turning in the cattle leaning on sticks talking and the ring empty. The man in Carnew would sack the whole of them in a week

• Registered Users Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I get on not too bad there selling. I'd like to think it's because I've a name built up there on the board selling stock. Could be wishful thinking though but I'd always aim to have good ones that sell. Went to carnew once, well a few times. And had a BB calf as the first lot. The minute the auctioneer walked in the door of the ring he started selling. When he got over to the rostrum he had the calf sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Does that auctioneer not sell in enniscorthy as well as tullow and has to play an honest game in Carnew.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I've never been in tullow so don't know but he sells in Carnew.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

I have seen a 490 kg Friesian 2 year old bullock sell for €1450 how can this be justified? Surely this bullock will be over 3 years old when fit for slaughter a lot can happen in this 12 months. Can't believe the light weights friesian bullocks show for age simply they mustn't get fed properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mr..

Sold 5 bullocks last week, all born feb '21 and all out of same bull, best lad came into 1770 at 495kg and worst was 1400 at 490kg, to me there wasnt €370 of a difference, any ideas as to why such a difference? Tia

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

It's very hard to say without seeing the stock but was the lower priced one a different colour? Out of a dairy bred dam? Wild? The possibilities are endless really.

I remember gathering cattle in the mart one day at the beginning of Covid and this particular man had bought all but 1 of a pen of comrade bullock's. I didn't see much difference in the 1 he'd missed compared to the rest of them so I commented it was a wonder he hadn't bought him too. The buyer told me his phone rang when that bullock was in the ring and by the time he'd got the bidding screen reloaded they'd that bullock sold. The seller was probably left scratching his head why the bullock in question made a bit less than his comrades despite being of a similar type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

I would have made sure the seller knew…and would have made a show of the auctioneer on the spot.

he would have got sum bollickin…

The lower lad was all black the other lad all red, both out of suckler stock, both got same treatment and neither wer sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I may start getting hair dye for them in future!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Ye brown ch's don't sell as good as white or gold ones and black lm's don't sell as good as red ones. Black white heads don't sell as good as red white heads but it isn't as noticeable ss with continental cattle. There might be no difference in quality (grade) but just the brighter cattle look better to the eye.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Whoever bought one of them for 1400 has made a killing...

Great bullocks

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

€3,700 for suckler cow and calf in Ennis yesterday. Mad Ted.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=253773487067103

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Serious calf in fairness, the calf will make that and a bit more this time next year and the cow will be the profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

serious money to be made with coloured blue heifers. Must be breeding in the cow too. No reason she wouldn’t have same again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭Grueller

That's a trade that could disappear as quick as it appeared. The hide is the first thing cut off of any beast. It's also becoming a fairly crowded marketplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I suppose it will live on fresh air between here and then

Slava Ukrainii

A serious looking animal to be fair. I wonder what weight that calf will be at 24 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Advertisement