Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Good to Go - Food App

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭lucalux

So late to this, kept meaning to download and see what was in my area.

Ordered my first box from Aldi for this evening, interested to see what I get

Very very few places using the app around me, basically one in the two closest towns to me, both Aldi's. Going by this thread there wouldn't have been much point in my having the app until they were added!

Jealous of all the hauls from the fancy places in thread!

Fingers crossed some more places get added around the country as it gets more popular maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Lol half of these Aldi boxes are the packages sandwiches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I've nabbed my first bag in ages tonight, FXB, here's hoping I get a meat one! My first FXB bag was epic and my second one was poor. Third time lucky 🤞

I've nabbed my first bag in ages tonight, FXB, here's hoping I get a meat one! My first FXB bag was epic and my second one was poor. Third time lucky 🤞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Fair enough on that one, I'd never encourage anyone to do it - it's their decision after all. But I've never once been sick from eating food that is out of date and I'm 40. Believe it or not, it was my GP who told me it is perfectly safe to eat regular yogurts up to SIX WEEKS past their useby date. Now I don't know his source for that, but again I've never had any problem with a Muller a few weeks past its date - it just tends to seperate a little. Now if it was mouldy or stank, thats a different matter of course.

Anyway, TGTG still sucks for me sadly - not one single bag here in Cork is in anyway convenient timewise or position wise for me unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 HelenHelen

Aldi - Laytown.

From previous people's Aldi listings I was hoping to get a bit more variety. I deliberately didn't buy bread earlier as I was expecting some sort of loaf.

In defence of Aldi and the too good to go app, I got exactly what I paid for.

Steak costs 11 euro, bran flakes 89c, not sure of the original price for the veggie sausages.

Edit, as I'm not sure if photo uploaded correctly. I got one packet of 2 fillet steaks, one bran flakes and one veggie cocktail sausages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

My local aldis fill the box based on the reduced price.

Had 3 packs of mince and some bread in one last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,073 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Must try these bargains soon thanks for posts everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

I only have Aldi in my vicinity. Has anyone purchased a surprise bag from there? I saw an Aldi haul from Irish budgeting on instagram and she got like 2 kg of chicken! Would that be food heaven or hell for you? I have Crohn’s disease - a digestive disease- and I don’t fancy my chances with 2kg of nearly off chicken 🐔 lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,215 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• If you had the time you could prep a few meals and freeze them down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

First time using the TGTG app last night and not a bad Aldi haul - everything was dated 8/2 so all the meat/bread went in the freezer straightaway and the rest is in great condition. I don’t eat fish or mushrooms but hubby was delighted with the contents, they are all items that he would buy. I know these Aldi bags can be hit or miss but first impressions are good and collection was seamless. Total value about €26 so not a bad return on my €3.99 investment. I’ll definitely try it again

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

Yes. I have a freezer but would they already be a bit off? Thanks for mentioning the freezer, though, folks as I do get a bit stupid sometimes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,032 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if it's within its date, it shouldn't be in any way off. But having said that I've had meat that was well within it's dates and also very clearly off as soon as I opened the package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Yes I have found this with chicken fillets in particular. I think any of the vacuum packed meats or salted products like ham etc keep much better. I personally would have concerns over chicken picked up late evening on it's last day and probably wouldn't chance it.

My local butcher has so far had his meat with a day to spare. Most of it is free range

Can't upload a pic at the moment but was really pleased with my box from Aldi last night

1kg Chicken and Vegetable Soup from Newgrange Foods €?

Basil Houmous €1.99

Shredded Cabbage €1.49

2 x Chicken Rashers €1.99 (€3.98)

Cooked Coldwater Prawns €2.49

Raw King Prawns €3.49

Marinated Raw King Prawns €3.49

Sliced Wheaten Loaf €1.09

Malted Sourdough Loaf €1.79

Salmon, Spinach And Lemon Fishcakes €3.49

Ready to Eat Mango 2 pack €2.29

Chipotle Chicken Wrap €3.29

Irish Striploin Joint €19.50

€48.38 worth, without the soup included as I can't find the price of it.

For €3.99 :D

What's the procedure at these Aldi stores? Do you just ask at the till for your magic bag or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

Picked up an Aldi bag yesterday. It had 7 packs of bread and two bags of spuds 😂

The bread variety consisted of the following,

• Three large loaves of white, brown and multi grain bread.
    • Two small loaves of white and brown bread.
    • whole wheat brown bread
    • Soda bread

All the bread will go into the brown bin unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

Yeah ask at the till. The lady I asked didn’t know about it and had to page the manager on the intercom/headset. Who then asked a chap to bring it to the till.

Yep very simple, just bring your phone and have the app open.

Don't swipe on 'Collect Order' until you're there and ready to pick up, then the staff member checked off the code on my app on a tablet she had. The manager yesterday didn't do this, so I'd say they're still getting used to it themselves.

All my stuff was packed in a cardboard box ready to go, painless

My FXB bag tonight had 2 Cajun chicken parcels, goose fat roast potatoes and a tray of cauliflower gratin. A perfect meal for two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I wonder how much stuff people get ends up being thrown out, because people don't like it or want it? At least when you can pick and choose off the discount shelf you know it will definitely be used. Not sure how much food waste this actually reduces.

Picked up 2 boxes in aldi tonight.

1 had 2 xking prawns, organic kiwi fruit, bread, ricotta, ceaser salad.

2.had breast of chicken, bread, burgers, ricotta, burger buns. Spinach leaves.

Manager was saying since starting this they have zero waste. Used to throw out a load previously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

I tried to go on at the time listed in the app and nothing there and told come back same tomorrow

Am I doing it wrong or is sold out in seconds

Aldi Blanch, both branches

Maybe try between 5 and 7pm, that's when I've gotten mine

Seems to go in seconds from 'come back later' to 'sold out today'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

chicken breasts from Aldi always for me, the stink, puke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ECookie13

My local told me its the usual same people each time coming in for the boxes; they must have nothing better to do than watch the app like a hawk to save a few euros.

They also said they are getting greedy asking for more stuff from the other pending boxes, and I'd say some staff couldn't care less and agree, it would take some folk to ruin it for others.

Advertisement