Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the government called a general election tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hopefully he will.

He's the worse possible thing that could happen to him. A privately educated upper middle class white boy, with a grudge against his own side, using them as a vehicle of convenience.

If Mary Lou has half the political instincts that some people believe she has, she should lift the phone today and tell him his support, direct or indirect, is not wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Already happened with some groups forming in the current and previous Dails for speaking rights. The Independents were elected on different issues but the incompetence of FFG, FG/Lab and FF/Greens/PDs before it has created a major issue that crosses social groups and could prove the basis for a new party.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

John McGuirk here expresses the hope that something along those lines could happen but acknowledges in the same breath he thinks it's very unlikely (as do I)

What would happen if the “rural independents” as they call themselves actually organised into a political party and challenged Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael outside the cities? This writer suspects that they might do very well indeed on a national platform, but they seem to have no interest in trying.

If we get more 'non-left' independents in the next Dail I expect they'll be in the mould of Lowry, McGrath etc., with no more interest than those guys have hitherto shown in developing a national policy platform...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,890 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

The fact that people are still willing to vote for the greens is the most astounding thing about this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Where is Aontu on the immigration issue? If they were to come out strongly on securing our borders not only would I vote for them in the next election I would even consider joining the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

They've been sketching out what I guess Toibin would describe as a 'realist' position on the issue.

Given he's from a post-GFA SF background I find it hard to imagine him ever taking a strong enough line to satisfy you, going by your posts on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

SF might be crap, but can they really be as bad as the people who gave us the 2008 economic bust, or the people who decided in 2011 that the best policy was to re-inflate the property bubble?

SF is an alternative. At the moment we need to get rid of the people who have the interests of a very small clique at heart.

If & when SF mess up, then let's get rid of them too - but first things first.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You think things can't get worse?

Just look up north or across the sea to Britain where people voted for Brexit because it was the alternative to the EU and they thought it couldn't be worse.

Just because SF are an alternative doesn't mean you should vote for them.

• Advertisement

Things can always get worse.

That said, on balance, anybody with a brain in their head could do "as well as" FFG, simply by not changing the current situation. Leave it to the CS and wider PS and things will just potter along pretty much as they are.

** I wrote "as well as" but the reality is "as badly as". **

When a new government comes to power, whether SF, Soc Dems, PBP, Aontú or whoever, they will introduce changes. Some of these changes will affect some people in what they see as a negative way - we'll hear lots of screeching from them, and also from those who no longer have the ear of the government. Their screeches will probably be amplified by the IT and the Indo etc, so we'll hear them loud and shrill. But it will take some time before we get a view as to whether the overall effect is positive or negative.

I don't think it will take very long before we find out that the overall effect is negative.

To me, it would be slightly crazy to put SF into Government on their own, with no one who has been in Government before. You'd never do that in any kind of business or organisation - wipe out the entire top layer and replace them with people who have never done the job before.

Having said that, I'd bet that SF will lead a Government after the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You underestimate the power of the permanent government I.e. senior civil servants. They will block stuff they don't want to do. They have been running rings around FFG ministers for decades. For example Robert Watt.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Having worked in the public service, I don’t underestimate them at all, which is another good reason for having some people who are experienced in the nuts and bolts of making government happen.

But isn't that what the Democratic system is about? Or are you of the opinion that it should just be two or three groups alternating ad infinitum?

Personally I believe we need to wipe the slate clean and start afresh. I doubt whether SF will do great things given their move to the centre under Mary Lou, but I believe that several SF pols do their shadow briefs well; for instance you might remember Pearse Doherty taking on the insurance industry in committee?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

@deirdremf We won't know if we don't SF a chance, and if they do bad they go out in the election that follows. In the past it's nearly always been FF or FG along with some junior coalition partner. Now we know what damage FF and FG have done in the past and now they are bed fellows its only a matter of time before they more or less merge.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

They'll sit on the fence to try and appear anti refugee and pro migration.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

We have lost so much time hoping one of FF or FG would put the citizens first and fix the problems in our political system and country. Many decades. We should have realised they were 2 sides of the same coin.

That's exactly what the FG mouthpiece Regina Doherty was doing yesterday on the radio. The senator is always pushed out to say stuff that the government ministers is afraid to say.

• Advertisement

I've no problem with democracy, and I've recognised above that SF will probably be the largest party in government after the next election. I'm no fan of FF or FG, but I'm just pointing out that would be nice to have some people experienced in government - maybe some of the Labour heads or Roisin Shortall or the Green heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No party will get an overall majority at the next election and with the number of TDs going up at the next election it’s an even more unlikely situation than it has been recently.

And to me personally voting for a political party because “well they aren’t the other lot” is something I’ve never understood. I want something to vote for not vote against. Now, this has and does continue to limit my choices in elections both local and National, but I can at least I’ve used my vote wisely and for the right reason, and to me voting for a party because they aren’t another party isn’t a right reason.

Labour heads or Roisin Shortall or the Green heads

In what way do you think that Labour or the Greens - both parties that have been FFG's partners in government - would improve an SF-led government? Peronally I'm not seeing it. Róisín Shortall perhaps, but she was only a junior minister, and that for a short period of time.

I think that when the changeover happens, we will just have to accept that whoever gets in (almost certainly SF and their plus one) is going to have a 100% opportunity to fúck things up, with the proviso of course that the lads currently in power are longterm masters of the fúckup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I would not be surprised if the current government knowing they won't win the next election, leave a bigger mess which can't be fixed over one government term. Resulting in them saying SF is not doing a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

If only SF were already in government (or supposed to be) somewhere not far away so you could judge their ability, or lack of, to govern.

The current polls show that the government will win the next election, if they want to stay together. It will be close, they will need to tie down independent support more tightly, but it wouldn't take much of a swing in an election campaign to see the current government re-elected comfortably.

So why do you post conspiracy-theory like ideas that they will deliberately leave a bigger mess?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

So how would that work ?

Three different parties sitting around the cabinet table plotting to sabotage the country so they might win the election after next.

Yeah, I can see it now.

Leo: Hey Darragh, any ideas on how we can make the housing situation any worse?

Darragh: Well, I have this cunning plan to demolish all of the social housing in the country.

Roderic: Great idea, why don't I bring in a load of Russians to do the demolition job.

Micheal: I like your ideas lads, I'm off to Moscow to sign a mutual defence treaty, gotta get ahead of the Shinners and steal their ideas.

Like where do people get these silly ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i think you d be living in cuckoo land if you think the current government would easily win, poles have become notoriously unreliable, anger is clearly growing rapidly, ffg are in serious trouble, but sf will struggle to form a government....

• Advertisement

Never said that they would easily win, but in response to a silly suggestion that they government from here out would deliberately turn the country into a mess, I pointed out that they can win the election. That isn't cuckoo land, because that is what the polls are suggesting.

Advertisement