Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

John Donnelly included in your list of players who are not hurlers but are just picked as "runners work hard"? Hard to understand that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Some posters are better ignored, two (or one) especially. Calling for heads to roll all last year and at it again already in February but still attended the Antrim game in terrible conditions. Be better off following the rugby or football and give up on Kilkenny hurling and give us all a break,there's no understanding some people 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

both of them have being a lot more successful than anybody else

mickey Walsh success rate way above anybody in killenny.

Taking off in every championship match

facts are facts

Just because he hurls for Comer does not mean he good enough

he was very poor for comer in the championship

• Advertisement

He is a great man to work

scores a pint or 2

he should be staring for Thomastown again not so good in semifinals

Why are shamrocks so successful

They play hurling they use the ball they use space

They have the greatest hurler ever

They best hurling fullback

the best hurling fullforward exhibition in club all Ireland

so sticking with players that have showing they can’t do it

that’s why I said he should build a team

That’s why I said

walter gone past it showed that in junior championship

padraig poor year with club

Deegan tries hard good in winter conditions summer not so good destroyed in all Ireland

Buckley very poor year terrible year for club

Donnelly unbelievable effort to slow at the highest level

Billy Ryan very poor year with club and county

fogarty Very poor

Richie ?

mossy just not good enough played ok against Laois Westmeath a very poor Dublin team taking of in Leinster final semifinal and all Ireland

7 of these played in Belfast and we gone to win all Ireland

I don’t cod myself we lucky we In Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Agreed. I wonder if they even go to matches at all. They're quick to drop players but never come up with alternatives. Reminder, it's 15 aside, not 7 or less!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The big one for Limerick is the Clare match this Saturday. That's the Derby match. The supporters of bith sides wouldnt expect anything less. I'd say Kiely will pick a strong team for that. The Galway match might be tame enough. Could be an easy win for Galway against a 2nd string limerick that day.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

I do agree with some of the players alright. Harsh to label Donnelly in the same category as Alan Murphy, Conor Browne and Billy Ryan. Every team needs a Mossy Keoghan and Walter Walsh both very effective at times, look not the most skilful but make big impacts physically and on the scoreboard. Mickey Walsh would have been an awful choice manager, past his time now.

• Advertisement

Went to 33 senior matches

all kilkenny matches for 20 years

will be in Galway tonight in Dublin last night

instead of stupid comments tell me what I have said is wrong I have giving you the facts about players performances

not one of you has criticised Conor Browne hurling for kilkenny and his performances he could not even pass a ball 5 yards

There plenty of good young hurlers coming through bring them and build a team around them all they will do if they sitting on bench watching players that had there day is walk away and who could blame them

you now going to loose Dean mason he left off panel after having a great year for a lad that does not even play on goal

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I watched the Harty Cup final and thought the standard was below the Leinster final. Pres Athenry v Loughrea in Connacht final was also a better standard to the Harty final

The Harty Cup has an aura, but results at All Ireland level over history would suggest that Leinster teams, especially Kieran's, are well able for the Harty teams. Kieran's have often beaten Harty winners that had been hyped up as "best ever schools team" etc

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Is that good enough at county level one maybe but 2 or 3

Donnely Walter mossy

you as town person might know

better but from out the country it’s at least 4 years he has trained boro teams to county finals did he train boro to 17/19/21 tiles in one year village beat them in senior but they seemed to bring on a lot of young players that are now in county panel was not at village game so he must do something right

all I would say not to many managers has the success he has before lyng he was last person to win all Ireland at 21

Ignore button! Let those one/two converse with themself!

Was at DCU V WIT last night, not a great match. Lots of Kilkenny players involved. No standouts but Jamie Harkin and Sean Purcell were good for Waterford.

Ciaran Brennan came on for DCU. He started for them on strong team as a first year and now two years later is only a sub for last 5 mins on a much weaker team. But he has pace and has the hurling so maybe time yet. We need a pacey corner forward who can turn his man. Not sure Billy Ryan will ever be that person.

Adrian Mullen named in subs for DCU but didn't see him on bench or in warm up. Hopefully not too far away from a return.

Doubt WIT can win out, no big names, but should be competitive at least in semi.

Think Fitzgibbon may have peaked as a competition, the intercounty season is now too short, and managers will start to want players for league, and it’s also a tough competition where likelihood of injury is high. It may have had its day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Fitzgibbon is a brilliant competition, getting rid of January pre season intercounty competitions and giving it its on window in January is a straightforward enough solution to me, only crossover might be players involved in all Ireland club finals and that could move to before xmas in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

If we did engage with them we'd be struggling to make up a starting 15 even with the way people are wrote off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

In all fairness you're talking a good bit of scutter while also making the same points that have being said here time after time.

No one is going to disagree brownes hurling isn't good enough,kk have struggled for years for a consistent mid field pairing. You're on about browne and leahy and they're not even on the panel.

Cody used most of the lads you'd retire as impact players anyway.Wally,Richie,Buckley,fogarty and recently padraig haven't being always starting or if they did were subbed.

We all agree it's now or never for alan Murphy,Billy ryan and delaney. I know donnelly has suffered badly with his breathing but he is one lad that has the most potential and has a great pair of hands.

I know for a fact John Walsh couldn't translate his good club form in the county set up. Shane Walsh will hopefully be given time but some lads struggle to make the step up.

Buckley missed game time with the boro so don't know how he was terrible. I think if the boro had him against the village they would of bet them.

Fogarty was excellent against tullaron in the park and got a few points last year

I've being on about Owen wall a few years and I would of liked to have seen him in but he obviously declined the offer.

Ballyhale are an exceptional team and we will probably never see what they have done again. 3 starting county fowards in a club team is very very rare. Paddy mullen is getting called in now after a good year I hope he takes his chance because we could do with his strength around mid field and is always good for a few scores

Ffs Darren brennan,scruff and Tallis all play outfield for their club so I don't know what you're on about mason for. I'd have Tallis as reserve keeper on what I have seen of him the last few years.

• Advertisement

What you saw of talis he played out field mason won Leinster final and semie final for shamrocks

Buckley played enough hurling for boro

they Boro lads will tell you he played poor

owen wall had hip scraped.

hopefully back to best this year I would agree a good hurler

in fairness never mentioned Leahy really he never good enough either

I saw John Walsh score 1-10 from play in fresford for kilkenny in walsh cup

he a scoring forward better than

ryan

mossy

Brazil

walter

they might get you a pint or 2

you talk about scutter how can you say you know John walsh would not make it

Buckley missed one game

its time a few of you wake and realise it’s 7 years and if we keep with this crowed it will be a long time because this crowed have showing not good enough take TJ out and we at arse of garden

Donnely great trier when has he scored more than 2/3 pints

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I think it's great that hurling's appeal has grown so much that now we have fans of the game who haven't grown up with it, and particularly lads who don't have English as their first language.

So well done, and keep enjoying the games. ( thumbs up)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The Harty Cup is unique. I do agree that the standard is over blown at times. But its a fantastic competition. The sheer number and variety of contenders lately has made it even bigger. Rugby schools like CBC and Ard Scoil Ris ( was and is a big Munster rugby senior A school) competing regularly and Tulla and Cashel winning over the past 2 years..First time winners.

St Kierans are a storied school but how many times have they cruised through Leinster to peak for an All Ireland semi and final. Abit like Kilkenny senior teams. I'm a huge fan of Kilkenny and really like this forum.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

I was very impressed with the 2 Kilkenny players for DCU, Martin O'Connell( stamp of Adrian Mullen) and Conor Hennessy, great pace, must have scored or assisted in 1-4 in the first half. Paul Cody worked hard and Sean Purcell has a bit of presence. Brennan gave away a stupid free when on and had little impact

Darragh Corcoran on the UL team and Ian Bryne on the bench, they bet a UCD team with 3/4 Kilkenny players by 20 + points.

NUIG and UCC are full of Cork and Galway players.

Post edited by Village87 on

Yes, O' Connell was good.

Terrific to see so many Kilkenny players on all teams, lads I have barely heard of and yet mannning positions on strong Fitz teams. Shows Kilkenny pound for pound still produces. UL look ridiculously strong.

I felt sorry for Brennan, made up 20 metres chasing down the guy then ends up tripping him. A microcosm of how things are going for him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Any chance of a full stop or a bit of grammar? Very poor reading experience.

These standards that you are holding the ideal Kilkenny hurler to and standards of winning was created by Cody and his players - including the current crop.

The oul nose, face, spite line comes to mind.

Spirit and personality of a panel is a huge part of success, everything you're saying runs counter to the spirit of a panel.

I have never bought in to "cruise along and peak for an AI final stuff". Cushy runs to an All Ireland finals at any grade on balance do not favour participating teams. Hurling history is littered with teams that cruised out of their provinces only to get chinned in finals or semis. Limerick would have been far more vulnerable to getting done in final last year if they had cruised to final instead of being put to the pin by Clare and Galway.

You need to be tested along the way or there's a very good chance you won’t be able when you have to really step up.

Not interested in any "Munster hurling me arse" BS debate but the reality is that weak provinces tend to produce vulnerable finalists.

Kilkenny's record in All Ireland finals improved steadily as Leinster got stronger, initially with Wex in 50s, then Offaly and on in to Galway 15 years ago.

Conversely, Kilkenny and other Leinster reps regularly got beaten from the mid 30s to mid 50s because the standard of hurling in province was poor.

The standard of schools hurling in Leinster is better than you give credit for. I'd be fairly confident Offaly Schools or a full strength Kieran’s wouldbeat either of this year's Harty finalists and the other 5-6 teams in Leinster wouldn’t be remotely outmatched against this year’s other Harty teams.

It is the reverse in schools rugby where there is huge hype about the Leinster Schools Cup but the standard in the less hyped Munster and Ulster competitions is every bit as good.

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

Sorry I not as educated as you with your lovely words

spirit in a team with out tactics where did it get you

since 2016 lost 3 all Ireland’s 1 the biggest defeat ever in all Ireland

players left panel that had giving serious effort / spirit to kilkenny hurling under terrible circumstances

all this after 2016 when he left players out of panel how he could include Jackie in all Ireland panel and include his son who was injured and never good enough anyway

stood on side line with hands folded and done nothing actually commented on Sunday game

Destroyed the greatest goal keeper by not being able to organise a puck out strategy

you swear no one else could get spirit into teams

Spirit it’s a big part you have to be able to hurl as a team that’s as important

amazing all you could comment on is my poor grammar but not one fact to contradict what I have said about players performances

Buckley very poor for 2 years

fogarty very poor for a few years now

Walter he give you a few minutes against weaker teams

padraig moved into forwards lost pace in back line

paddy a great example of that spirit you talk about then hits ball anywhere

Billy Ryan great example of the saying running around like a head less chicken

mossy another great spirit man when it comes to top level sorry

Leinster final taking off semi final and all Ireland also imagine colm Fennely full forward last year he must not have the spirit

he did for shamrocks

my grammar never won me a hurling match but my skill did

I judge hurlers on there skill level I didn’t fall for Cody thing that effort won hurling matches skill does and I will say it again and again only because we have the greatest players ever the last few years we would be at arse of garden

last league we won lost first 2 matches he averaged 16 pints

hope the grammar didn’t effect you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

11 All-Irelands, 18 Leinster titles, and 10 National Leagues in his 24 inter-county seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

Galway disproved this theory. Years ago they said they'd win far more All Ireland titles with more match practice but when they got that it didn't happen. A softer run never did Kerry footballers much harm either. The advantage of the handy run is that you are guaranteed to be still standing. Not much use having competitive games if you've been knocked out in the process.

Advertisement