Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

Until I hear what their beef is here’s what I think….

How is he interfering? I know he asked for a job description to be put in place for the academy director role. But isn’t that just good governance? Spending €5000 per week has to have some level of accountability? The paid Co Board Administrator has a job description.

It’s the Co Board’s role to run GAA in the county, not Karl’s. The statement today had a disgraceful line in it at the end…tarred all Donegal GAA as being incapable of providing governance. Not just over the Academy.

Asking for a thousand euro for a Christmas night out tells us a bit about what might be going on.

Anyway, leaves some of them, including the former director, with plenty more time to help out with their clubs.

That’s my take at the minute, based on what I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Do you think the county board are doing a good job running GAA in the county?

Do you think having members of the interview committee involved with the county management team is good governance?

Yes to Number 1 because I think the GAA in this county is about more than the county team.

As for number 2…..it’s not his fault nobody half decent applied. It’s probably wrong yeah, but McGrath was involved with Declan Bonner.

Again, your 2 questions have nothing specific to do with the academy. What is the problem Lacy feels he has?

Question two is relevant because it reflects on the governance of the county board.

On your previous point about their clubs it may have escaped your notice who won the minor championship this year. It may have further escaped your notice who played a major role in the revamping of the structures in that club.

I'm glad you think that GAA is well run in the county, a county where a Division 1 team can play junior championship and a Division 3 team can play senior championship. A county where it is possible to avoid a relegation playoff in the senior championship despite not winning a game. A county where a team had to play a championship final having played two games in the previous seven days. A county where a sponsor withdrew his support because his relation wasn't appointed to manage a county team. A county where a club had to play an Ulster club championship game a day after a county final. A county where two of the top clubs had a stand off over which pitch to play a match on. A county where the senior final ended in the committee room. A county where two of the top teams had a final scoreline of 1-04 to 1-01.

Other posters could give further examples but these are just off the top of my head. We are currently going backwards as a county.

The vast majority of the issues you mention there are either related to clubs or Ulster Council. I know people in Four Masters, very well, they’d be surprised to hear the hard work and coaching they did was all a figment if their imagination and that some one else did it.

• Advertisement

A completely disingenuous response to what I posted.

You claim the resignation of forty six staff members is the result of good governance. If the governance is as good as you claim how did we get to the point where all academy staff felt the need to resign ?

I don’t claim that at all. You see, we don’t know why they resigned. They should outline their reasons. “Good governance” is a catch all term. They are hiding behind it at the minute. They are the ones being completely disingenuous.

Let them act like men and come out and say what’s eating them up. They might have a legitimate gripe, but for them to lump everything into their beef is a terrible comment to make. No confidence in Donegal Board’s ability to govern GAA in Donegal is what they said. That brings in a whole lot more than the academy and they are 100% wrong to say it. Stick to their issues, let’s hear them.

Why haven’t they come out and said what they are? Is it money? €5000 per week is the figure being mentioned for coaching at the academy. Who is getting it? What are they getting it for? Donegal GAA can’t stand over that type of expenditure and not know where it’s going, which is what I have heard rumoured is this case. Maybe that’s bs but it’s out there.

Also, what is the problem with a job description being put in place for a paid position in the academy?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Nix7979

Fully agree with your post. They aren't gaining any support from all this cloak and dagger stuff.

Indeed, there has been a lot of ambiguity about how the Academy has been run particularly in relation to finances and who are the beneficiaries of this. The CB are right to call for transparency. That is good governance.

Sadly, for his sake, Lacey isn't even the main ringleader in this. His reputation and good name is being used by another individual who has been instigating the whole thing from the Academy side.

You did claim it was governance.

A remarkably similar post to this one has appeared on another forum. You also have a poster registering to support your post. Something stinks around here.

I didn't realise new posters had to run their first posts by others. I thought that's what moderators are for?

But do forgive me I am new after all 😁

• Advertisement

I am not registered on any other forum, but I’d imagine you’re talking about THS?

Anyway, I think we should all deal with the issues. And it’s time boys put up and shut up. And listen, maybe the coaches are right. But we simply don’t know.

You see, we don't know why they resigned. They should outline their reasons. "Good governance" is a catch all term. They are hiding behind it at the minute. They are the ones being completely disingenuous.

Let them act like men and come out and say what's eating them up. They might have a legitimate gripe, but for them to lump everything into their beef is a terrible comment to make. No confidence in Donegal Board's ability to govern GAA in Donegal is what they said. That brings in a whole lot more than the academy and they are 100% wrong to say it. Stick to their issues, let's hear them.

Why haven't they come out and said what they are? Is it money? €5000 per week is the figure being mentioned for coaching at the academy. Who is getting it? What are they getting it for? Donegal GAA can't stand over that type of expenditure and not know where it's going.

The coaching officer asked for a job description to be put in place for paid positions in the academy? This has been met with a lot of resistance from the Academy side and has formed the basis of their disgruntlement. Is that not good governance though?

xxxxxxxxxxxx Posts: 430 - 10/02/2023 10:36:39

Clearly someone is plagiarising your work!!!😏

That’s almost mine, word for word. I can 100% tell you that that isn’t me. Just a bit added at the end that’s not mine. I don’t know if that last paragraph is true

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

"Also, what is the problem with a job description being put in place for a paid position in the academy?"

I asked this question back in 2021 when the whole appointment was made. There was no road map, no job description, no measurement of success. No metric on whether things were working out or not. All the basics of any paid job really.

Whatever about the accountability of finances, the other big issue with the academy was the unavailability of players for their clubs. Didn't Glenties forfeit an All County Div1 semi final because 6 of their players were unavailable to play due to the county manager wanting them to be available for the county panel? By all accounts this was to remain the same for the 2023 season. The clubs had asked that this be changed for the coming season but resistance came from the academy.

Added to that the young players who were threatened they would be kicked out of the Academy if they participated in the Foyle Cup last summer. But you won't find that on any local media propoganda piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

stay humble

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Anyway, aside from the Academy issues, serious concerns short and long term re Paddy.

Being reported as a hamstring injury, which isn't great, but had a also heard cruciate which would be a lot worse.

Hope to get to Clones on Sunday.

Hamstring attached to the bone rather than the muscle itself. Out for the season I'm hearing.

So now Paddy is having a fitness test to see if he can play on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

I can 100% tell yous that Paddy is not out for the league never mind the season . Jesus christ bullsh*t can carry some legs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 FreeChocco

Sounds like we completely fell apart in the second. Was a period were we went from 2 points up to 6 points behind. That was game over.

Based on Carr's post match interview I can now tell yous Paddy is 100% out for the league and the way Donegal played today we won't get too far in the championship for his recovery to matter.

Paddy Carr says he is out for the league?

Disaster of a result today, shipping 1-20 to Monaghan is a hopeless performance. Martin McHugh accusing players of hiding at one stage - wonder me where Ryan was? Can we really afford to give our starters, players who have been off for 4 months, an extended break that sees them miss the first 3 league games?

Looking like relaxation will be all but guaranteed next week as I can’t see where the points are coming from.

I know we ended the losing streak in Letterkenny last year but that’s more to do with Armagh fielding half a team and having little to play for and us needing to fight for survival. Lean period ahead and we could be in The Tailteann Cup next year.

The one thing you can definitely state from today is that Monaghan will beat us again next season.

Highland radio interview rebroadcast on RTE1 radio. Heard it on the way home. Has to have an operation on the injury.

Yes, Paddy Carr confirmed Paddy needs surgery. Not out for the season, but out for the foreseeable.

Re Clones, too many players not good enough for this level, and they never will be, regardless of who the manager is.

Good to see Langan, Gallen and Ban back.

We can still survive in Division 1 but no evidence so far this year of how we will.

The big issue for me is the form of certain established players. I don't like criticising individual players but there are players in the team who have offered little or nothing for a number of seasons. Some tough calls need to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

That didn't age well, you might want to check your sources!

Probably agree with some of the salient points above, but I was sure as shooting we'd get something out of the game on Sunday. We're in a difficult position now with little chance of picking up a few points. Maybe Roscommon might use their final game (against us) to avoid injury to their first 15, and put out a weakened team. Hard to judge where Galway are at - we might get something from them.

I would agree that some of the players are not quite up to it yet. Hugh McFadden has done nothing at this stage and for me doesn't deserve his place in the starting 15. Jason McGee is labouring around the place. Might give 10 mins here and there, but for a man with his physical attributes should be contributing a lot more. McColgan after his MOTM performance against Kerry has struggled v Tyrone and Monaghan.

Great to see the 3 lads back on Sunday. Langan chipped in with a couple of good scores. Gallen left his shooting boots at home, but at least he's taking the shots on. EBG was quiet enough, but to be expected given his layoff. I'd like to see young Grant get a run out the next day. Possibly at the expense of Caolan Ward (not sure what's the deal with the match day program, but the same 15 have been named in the 3 matches).

Anyone any update on Ciaran Thompson, Odhran McFF, Ryan McH, Shane O'D. If they're not injured, then they need to be getting game time - preferably all on the same team at the same time.

Paddy did little in the first game and a half, didn't do a wild lot last year either, and, I'm not sure he's captain material...but...I wish him a speedy recovery.

• Advertisement

Ciaran Thompson - I don't know

Ryan McHugh - based on what his father said during commentary on the 2nd league match suggests he will miss most of the league.

OMCFF - isn't he out for the season? Cruciate?

Shane O'Donnell - no idea, was fit enough to play Sigerson. Are him and his brother opting out?

I'm also curious about Aaron Doherty and Ethan O'Donnell - are they injured or just not in the squad?

If he is fit it would be good to see Conor Morrison involved as well.

Advertisement