Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow play at your home club

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

It was the searching for balls in bushes that made me think you had the name wrong. Not to worry

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Salvadoor

As the kids would say, you've just won the internet today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

If you were to tell me the round will take up to 4hrs 30, every time........and that was considered the norm, I just don't think I'd play there that much at all if that pace was considered acceptable.

Maybe on a course the likes of K club or Killeen Castle or something, where there can be long walks between greens and next tee. Yeah maybe ok then. Still though, I'd find that time a bit tiring.

I just think 4 30 is an awful long time to be spending out on a course. Maybe I'm just conditioned to shorter courses.Yeah I probably am actually.

I'm thinking back in the days playing junior / senior scratch cups, 36 holes. Regardless of course ye wouldn't wanna be greater than 4 hours coz ye gotta do it again in the afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭Hijpo

....scratch cups is your time base??

I don't think that's a useful measure for your average player.

Don't think scratch cups hold the monopoly on acceptable, or bearable, pace to be honest. OK it's been years for me but I played lots fado fado and pace varied. Some were ok, a few were excruciatingly slow.

I don't know how you would describe the average golfer. Age 50 15hcp is that average? I've no clue.

Would I expect a 50 year old off 15hcp to comfortably play an average golf course 18 holes singles in 3 ball format by 4 hours? Yes.

• Advertisement

But your are only taking into account one player there, you are never going to get a group where all individuals play the same. What about four (the usual group size) 50 year olds playing off 15, on a 5800 metre course. I don't think they get around in four hours comfortably.

I take your point. For a 4 Ball.

I too understand where you are coming from.

If its only 3 players it's 87 less shots (if they all manage to play to 15 on the day). It's one less person to wait for to get to their ball and 20 seconds less that the group is waiting before moving to the next shot, on every shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

You're right they don't comfortably get around in 4 hours, they get around comfortably in less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

How?

A course of that length would easily be navigated in less than 4 hours in a fourball of 50 year old 15 handicappers.

Are you saying that just because or do you have something to back it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I would say 4 hours is fairly comfortable on a course like that. My course is similar distance. Our course design is pretty good for flowing rounds.

I'm not long home from our weekend comp. 15 holes, 4 ball, just under 3hrs 20, 3 HCs in the teens and one older gent with 30+ HC.

By my maths, we would have been bang on 4hrs for 18 and we were waiting behind the group in front a few times more than usual.

4 hours around our place would be pretty standard, I would say most rounds fall between 3hr 40 to 4hr 10. Anything 4hr 20 or above would be rare and really noticeable as a slow(er than normal) round.

Thanks for the detail.

Out of interest what would people consider an acceptable time frame from when an individual reachs their ball to striking it?

Maybe a poll, if it hasn't been done already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Would have never have put a time on something like that, but whenever the silence gets uncomfortable, that's a few seconds too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

You'll need to be more specific on when the silence happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭FazyLucker

The latest phenomenon is definitely take your shot, move away, grab the phone until everybody else has teed off.

When you are waiting, it is your duty to help keep an eye on the other players balls. It'll save everybody time and if the player teeing is blind sighted, etc you can massively help by looking at where their ball went, identify a tree, a line, etc. Not scrolling on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭blue note

I haven't come across that yet thank god. I pray it doesn't creep in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭coillcam

I've seen a small amount of this scrolling nonsense but it's generally not been too bad. Usually it's some fella refreshing score updates for a bet over a couple of holes. Nothing to the point of complete disengagement.

100% agree that some people need to pay more attention to other shots. This is regardless of phones. Sometimes either sun glare or clouds obscure the flight and you can't track the flight. If everyone watches then it makes finding balls a hell of a lot quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Common sense lads, common sense, if fact if you do a ‘deep dive’ into slow play I suggest lack of common sense, contributes a lot to it.

eg not ready on the tee, bad equipment placing, deciding clubs to use, insisting on repairing every pitch mark on every green…..etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Can't say I'd complain about anyone ever repairing a pitch mark. Very easily done as the group are on greens, and wouldn't be necessary if everyone followed the practice of repairing them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭coillcam

Absolutely 100% agreed. If everyone repaired their pitch mark or at least 1-2 if they can't see theirs, greens would be in great nick everywhere. Common sense and can be done in a few seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Never complain myself either, just read the post carefully and the answer is there.

Advertisement