Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICOS role in sgm's

• 10-02-2023 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

my thoughts on this could be completely wrong but recently there are 2 groups who have gathered a lot of signatures to call SGM's in their respective societies/co ops and in both cases ICOS has strongly sided with the co-op/society to stop SGM going ahead on technical grounds ...which one can only assume that the respective boards don't want these meetings going ahead.... while ICOS must ensure the 'rules' are applied correctly, you would think that democracy of the co op should also be a consideration..

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Have they the amount of names required for a sgm.how are icos siding with coops.in general icos ensure that the rules of that society are applied rather than siding with management

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

that was always my thought but from 2 letters issued by boards that i have seen , ICOS are being quoted as saying request not ok.. in once case i believe over 2,500 signatures have been gathered, which points that the relevant boards should listen to shareholders and address issues rather than go down the technical road... but thats a different discussion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Maybe a copy of icos/coop rule book should be read carefully to avoid any challenges that could stop a request for a sgm going ahead

where there are rule books there is also fun ... the gaa first time trying to open croke park to other sports comes to mind... often rules that were good at one time may now hinder further progress.. which is often why boards may not like sgm's brought by shareholders/members

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Can you explain what the technicalities are involved

• Advertisement

the two public cases i refer to are the limo society where it appears the council did a lot of work to stop an sgm (legal correspondance sent to members etc) and used ICOS to technically exclude members from at least having a vote.. the second i have seen is Kerry coop where the chairman of the board issued a letter again this week stating that the shareholders requesting an sgm and again ICOS were quoted as technical reason for not having sgm. The letter did not state exact reasons but in fairness to chairman he stated in letter they were working with the shareholders and committed to an sgm around time of agm (so one can assume that they are working on right wording etc)

my comment is more that while ICOS are correct to technically judge on the rule book... where a group may want to block sgm.. ICOS seem to get used as the reason for no sgm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

In all fairness ICOS doesn’t want to be involved in any controversy and won’t give a decent answer to any questions asked of them and will tell the society to try sort themselves, the problem with a lot of breed society nowadays is the people at council level are there for themselves and not the breed.

probably true .. and lots of members often avoid getting onto council for same reason

Advertisement