Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Major changes in government policy were in enacted last year.

2 tier system for "safe countries" and the suspension of visa free movement back in July.

So no, absolutely nothing to do with feral scum threatening to kill people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Boggles - Fair play to the protestors, they need to keep at it now and get real reforms to the sh1tshow system currently in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Well this is the type of divisive far right language we don't need. Feral scum.

People really do hate people from social housing.

They would be better off reforming themselves.

What would you call someone who threatens to burn people to death?

Just 'reasonable protest', it's the gubbermints fault?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Fair play to the protesters for cheering on threats to burn down DP centres?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Pretty appalling rhetoric alright. The low level insults are a manifestation of increasing desperation, as certain individuals throw their toys out of their prams.

It's mildly amusing to witness.

So you are offended by me calling people who threaten arson and murder feral scum?

Jesus, that bar has been thrown out the window, hasn't it? 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭pauly58

Those people saying we have room to take more immigrants, I would ask have you used the health service recently ? My wife has been waiting for an operation since last year & we went to the South Infirmary in Cork yesterday to see a surgeon. It is pandemonium there : appointments are running way late, they used to be pretty good years ago. Staff are great by the way.

Yes, I know another hospital should have been built in Cork ages ago but it won't be, we're falling into the same traps as they did in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Not offended, just amused by the disingenuous histrionics 'Boggles'.

• Advertisement

Vast vast majority not engaging or approving any violence.

You know this but chose to tar all of the protestors as feral scum. Terms used regularly to slag off council estate people.

Stuff you'd normally hear the far right saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

We need more foreign nurses n doctors to join our health service but there is literally no where for them to rent unless it's extortionate, so they go elsewhere. The councils n charities are renting everything going for a never ending supply of our own n imported who won't contribute. Doesn't sound too sustainable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

You clearly don't get the rules of our new world, the world that preaches about "equality" all the time. Generalizations about "good" groups, are all but evil, if you dare make a generalization about any of them, you're a terrible monster. Those rules don't apply to the "bad" though, it's perfectly fine to generalize every single of them because of the actions of the few.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I thought these self declared right types were supposed to be tough on crime.

Seems not.

🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Even Leo has gotten the message (even if he is saying it because he's always keenly aware of what way the wind is blowing for his own benefit):

IRELAND needs to be “firm” with people who arrive in the country with a false story or under false pretences and return them to their country of origin, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said.

Too little too late at this stage I fear, and we'll just ignore I suppose how his FG colleague and Minister for Justice Helen McEntee is a big part of the reason why we are in the mess we are now, but just as with the Irish Water protests, the message can eventually get through!

The bigger problem is the cheerleaders who for their own reasons seem to have a real problem with the expression of views they don't agree with, and would actively try to limit or discedit the rights of fellow citizens to express them through protest. It's ironic that they label these as "far right" when their own attitudes are far more concerning in a modern democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

MEP Barry Andrews on Newstalk today giving out about Leo and the EC yesterday talking about tightening immigration barriers, says barriers never work. Sounded like he wants open borders. Also wants resumption of ship search and rescue missions off the coast of Africa, says theres no evidence it encourages people smugglers trafficking people into Europe.

Are the Irexit "party" that are organising some of these protests left of centre?

Did I miss a memo? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You're missing a lot alright but the main thing seems to be that the wind has shifted on this issue if even Leo is coming out recognising it.

You can continue to rail against the reality all you wish but changes are coming it seems.

So that's a no then.

I mean for someone pontificating about mislabelling, you seem to struggle to actually call what these "parties" and their supporters are.

Why is that I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭minimary

The results of the summit are very interesting

"The summit also reached agreement on a “principle” under which one EU country can use a court decision in another EU member state to return an irregular migrant to their home country"

I wonder how that would work in principle like if I apply for asylum in the Netherlands and am denied and then make my way to Ireland, is the original decision by the Netherlands applied and I'm deported, surely I can appeal my Irish deportation order, you can appeal everything here.

That list is going to be a helluva lot longer than the liist we currently have

"The EU leaders also agreed “to increase the use of the safe-country concepts” that will open the way to the bloc formulating a common list, von der Leyen said."

According to Barry Andrews the whole European Council is now far right wing. Its getting to the stage where if everything is far right then nothing is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Hard to believe that a politician could be so out touch - aren't European elections next year?

Does anyone other than do gooders mention left and right? I just don't hear these terms used in Ireland by anyone else.

Lately? the person I was responding to. I doubt they would appreciate the "do gooder" quip though.

But you are right, I prefer the term "Far Loon" far more apt.

I imagine the majority of the Irexit supporters haven't a clue about political ideology and are just brought together exclusively by their irrational fear of foreign people, or vaccines, high speed internet access or whatever nonsense they are protesting on that given day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭batman_oh

It's like they are hoping that they can create the same mess that the Americans are dealing with now. Weaponising language and driving division.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

driving division

That's the sickest part. They then turn around and label anyone who reacts to the problems that they've created as being "divisive", when their own ideology, and the policies that they support, are some of the most divisive and destructive things I've seen in my life. Leo's rant was a great example of that, far right this, racist that, yet not once did he look in the mirror and accept the slightest bit of blame. They love to do that though, ignore that they've caused of all this, and focus solely on the reactions in isolation.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

We have two groups of Loons in the country.

A small number of far right loons.

A small number of far left loons.

Then you have the majority of people who are fed up paying for everything while the services they pay for get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Housing crisis was a huge news story 12 months ago whereas the issue of refugees wasn't even being mentioned. By and large, Ukrainian or other refugees are not causing the housing crisis as they are not being accommodated in any houses or apartments that would have gone to Irish or legal resident people.

It should thus be stressed that the refugee situation is mostly putting huge pressure on the *temporary* or *emergency* accommodation facilities in the country, not on the regular availability of houses or apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭creeper1

My fear is that there will be some presentation of being tough on immigration but in reality it being all a charade. Just like the discussion of the opportunist Leo.

The Tories done it in the UK. Before an election they came up with the Rwanda plan knowing in all probability it wasn't feasible. Not one single migrant has ever been sent to Rwanda but it done it's job of getting Tories votes.

I'm very sceptical mainstream parties heart is in getting tough. I'm still recommending people to vote for the Irish freedom party who really do have Ireland best interest at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Are you telling me no Ukrainians are living in houses or apartments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

There's gonna be 180k refugees here by year end the government estimates. These will be moved out of temporary+ emergency accomodation as houses come available for the government to outbid ordinary joe soaps. That's the 'housing crisis' sorted for the next decade.

Advertisement