Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hogwarts Legacy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭sekiro

I'm sorry but this just isn't acceptable. A lot of fans of this series who will be buying and playing this game will be young people who maybe aren't equipped to deal with entitled, angry, 30 and 40 somethings ranting and raving about bigots and "trans genocide" or sending death threats etc. To be honest a lot of adults probably aren't really equipped to deal with it either.

A large percentage of people genuinely won't know what JK Rowling has said and some might not even be able to properly parse her statements either. So to have a situation where people are wary of admitting that they will play the game, are wary of letting their children go to Smyths to buy the game or are wary of streaming because of thinly veiled threats is just not on.

There's no way to rationalize it at all and "you are just going to have to put up with it" is such a cowardly stance to take.

The degree of outrage, harassment and outright abuse here is simply not commensurate with the actual situation. More people should be willing to speak up and condemn the kind of bullying that we are seeing.

I get that the trans-community have to deal with a lot of nonsense both online and in real life. This in no way justifies what is now basically an organised harassment campaign against people who have not done anything wrong and who may not really be able to handle this kind of abuse.

There's a real "it's OK when we do it" angle to this whole controversy and it's actually insane to see the moderator of a videogame board basically say "well if you buy the game and try to talk about it then you need to deal with the consequences". It's just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭sekiro

He absolutely nails it. Just wish more people would see stuff like this and take the points on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

For anyone who's actually played the game and hasn't been burned at the stake how good is it compared to say God of War Ragnarok?

That's the game I'm playing through since Christmas but seeing an awful lot of good things about this and even though I'm not the biggest fan (I've seen the films) it looks like its worth a play.

I'm just curious as to what kind of gaming experience the game provides? Should i just leave it for now and keep playing through GOW or should I give this a bash right away?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,953 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Anyone else feel a bit like this when they're trying to get stuck into a quest and then a piece of the field guide floats by?

I must have spent a good 1-2 hours last night getting distracted by field guide pieces and going off to chase them down 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I never said I'm condoning it, especially the extremes of bully. The furthest I'd go is a gentle reminder of what supporting this game supports, even just in the real financial terms of where the who is benefitting. I certainly don't condone the extremes of bullying and harassment going on, that isn't what I'm saying, you're misconstruing my message.

I'll lay out what I was trying to say here so it's not misinterpreted (nothing against you, I can see where you could come to this conclusion with how its worded). JK Rowling's beliefs and statements have made the game and anything associated with her political. It's really all on her. I don't condone the extreme reaction to it, and in a way I say she doesn't either but this rests entirely on her head. The fact that people can't enjoy any works associated with her without getting caught up in the political nonsense is, as I'm stating here, an unfortunate fact of life and you can give out about the extremists at the ridiculous end of the harassment spectrum but honestly, none of this wouldn't have happened if JK Rowling just wasn't publicly a hateful bellend.

I mean I'm affected to, I read all the books, watched all the films, hated with a passion the god awful fantastic beast films but went to see them anyway, and I'm looking at this game that looks amazing and I just can't bring myself to give anything to the author despite having been invested in the stories.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

If you're still enjoying Ragnarok then maybe stick with it? Hogwarts is a solo game so not like there's online content you'd be missing out on coming to it late (other than the banter in here 🙂). Like yourself, I've only seen the films but wouldn't have a clue about the lore, but it's great fun so far, plenty to do and combat with a wand is surprisingly enjoyable. I'm possibly not getting as much from it as fans of the franchise but that doesn't bother me (I think the game is based 100 years before Harry Potter or something like that).

Haha yeah same here - I'm spamming that revelio spell everywhere and cannot pass a door or mirror puzzle without solving it - seriously slowing down my levelling but it's fun. I've read that it's better to spend more time with the main quests early days to unlock things, and then go back to the side quests, easier said than done though.

Also, two times mid quest where you have to follow someone and aren't allow drift too far away - that was annoying as I wanted to solve a door puzzle or collect stuff. It was like being a kid in a shop getting dragged by the arm by your mother. 😂

P.S. Sell your unwanted gear rather than destroy it. 😉

Master of the Universe

You could always buy it on CDKeys.com? Stick it to her by buying a dubiously acquired cheaper key? 😁

Seriously dude, there's a real bang of cutting off your nose to spite your face about this.

Delete Twitter, stop giving both sides of this nonsense and audience (remember the episode of the Simpsons with the advertisements destroying everything and the 'Just don't look song'?) and instead spend hours chasing around floating pieces of books in the air in a superbly fun game with the rest of us.

Master of the Universe

Haha! that happened to me the first time I went to Hogsmeade, I was off trying to see if I could levitate sheep (exciting fact, I could!)

Suddenly I get this warning that I'm becoming separated from Sebastian. 'But Sebastian, the sheep!' I exclaimed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I like the sound of those mini challenges. Sorry for bringing it up again but it reminds me of the korok seeds in BotW where even the collectibles have mini challenges around them instead of being a waste of your time. Sonic Frontiers also did this and it's good to hear it's something that's catching on.

I'm not both siding it, I'm just coming up against a lot of accusations of it at the moment and regretting saying anything and getting sick of defending myself from people misconstruing me. As I said there are ways to get the game legally if you have the same concerns. I also am a bit broke at the moment so I'd have to wait anyway before I'd realistically consider buying it 😞

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I started a side quest last night called carted away and it has a suggested level of 2 but the enemies for the quest are level 10, wtf is that all about 😕.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Don't go bringing your "git gud maaannn" rhetoric in here 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

anyone else's finger absolutely knackered from using r2 on dual sense ? Some push back on it while firing off spells I might have see it there option in settings to tone it down a bit 🥲

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Just a small housekeeping note that a small number of posts from a page or two back have been deleted (with the agreement of the users) so apologies if that causes any confusion to anyone reading back the thread and wondering why the discussion may have abruptly changed gears or where posts disappeared to.

Carry on :)

Got a bit more time in last night and did a mix of side and main quests. Forgot to check my inventory space and wasn't able to loot a chest in the library quest, I had read about that before but forgot - bit annoying tbh. Apparently you can go back to them later but the item might be locked to the level you were at the time - possibly making it obsolete (other than for the transmog).

Anyway, I need to stick to main quests more and get that inventory space up. Hopefully get a chunk of time in over the wkend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

To me you seem to be talking out of both sides here. On one hand you say you don't support this bullying and harassment but then go on to say its all JK Rowlings fault and blame as if the people who are doing this are somehow less to blame for there behaviour because of JK Rowling comments.

Yes her stance is the reason there is this discussion however the behaviour bully and threats by people is entirely on them and can not and should not be damned due to what JK said

As an aside to the game (and this may happen in other voice acted games with a character select) but anytime you are mention they use they/them (Enoch would not be happy).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Just back from picking it up. Lady in the store told me a kid had dragged his mother to the store before school to get it but he was looking for the PS4 version which isn't out for another 2 months. Kid moaned enough that mother bought him a PS5 and the game there instead. That never worked for me growing up :D

What store was that out of curiosity? I thought PS5 stocks were still thin on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Plenty of stock at the moment apparently and as a result sales are up on the console

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Smyths in Carrickmines, and they had plenty of consoles in there?

Master of the Universe

As much as I'd love a PS5, I've finally met a console that aesthetically I just cannot have in my setup. It's just too bloody ugly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

When the Irish economy inevitably enters recession again, I think I'll be using this story as the definitive example of 'Celtic Tiger 2.0' 😅

Yep, it's fugly and noisy. I put it behind the TV. Hope they produce a better version I can trade mine in for. 😁

I just waiting for something worth buying it for.

On the other hand Sony releasing everything on pc is saving me money. So thanks Sony I guess.

Ah here, the noisy bit puts me right off - is that common with them? Was half thinking of getting one in the summer with one of the benefits being it would be nice and quiet. The young lad was playing Spiderman on the PS4 Pro and it sounded like a hair dryer on full blast. Then again there's only Demon's Souls and Returnal I'd be interested in and I saw Returnal is out on PC next week.

When I first heard my character being referred to as "they" I thought it was a glitch or maybe I had made an incorrect choice on the character selection screen. Nope - there's only witch (female) or wizard (male). I wonder is that a sign of things to come as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I've decided to boycott this game until the 25th of July due to clear prejudice against Nintendo Switch owners. Power to the people!

For what it's worth my PS5 has been whisper quiet compared to the jet plane engine that was the PS4. It's a much, much quieter console so not sure what the noise complaints are about.

Master of the Universe

I'm really interested in seeing how it's handled on the Switch. I know this is a joke but I don't think it's going to be too far from reality :eek:

• Advertisement

Your milage may vary. It's not very noisy. Mine has a loud ish fan and annoying low coil whine. But considering the quality of the display output .. it's acceptable ish. I use headphones. Its way way quieter than a PS4 I believe. It's my first PS 🤪

The Series X has a simple, beautiful design and is silent. The One X was similar. MS did something right.

Ok ... back to Hogwarts Legacy ..

Advertisement