Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing pension after 50

• 08-02-2023 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭

I'm finding it hard to get a simple answer to this question - can I withdraw funds from my private pension, as I am over 50

I have a private pension, which I contributed lump sums to some years ago

I'd like to be able to draw on some of it

Is it possible?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If it's a personal pension it's not possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Vegasroger

My typical understanding on this is that you can access pension funds built up with any previous emoyer but not the employer you are currently employed with at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I could have drawn down on my Airline pension last year When I turned 50 Taking a 25% tax free lump sum ,One thing to remember this will affect future tax free lump sums.

And as I'm still working if i was to cash in on my old pension I be taxed to the hilt.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

At the end of the day the objective is to encourage people to save for retirement and if you try to access it early you can expect that it is either not possible or you'll pay a penalty in some form for doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Occupational pensions can be drawn down at 50. Other pensions such as personal pensions or PRSA can't, unless in extreme cases like serious illness.

Your pension provider should be able to give you that simple answer whether you can or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,250 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There is no penalty for drawing down an occupational pension from a previous employer after age 50. There is the missed opportunity of future investment growth, but no penalty.

Advertisement