Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

mods, apologies, this little discussion is derailing this thread, feel free to move to troubleshooting or somewhere else..

--------

thanks a lot hotswap, I've just a grid CT+Harvi with separate Hub. issue is that the Zappi, once it has started charging with surplus in ECO+, disregards the grid CT data and keeps charging like its in ECO mode once surplus drops below chosen MGL%.

this does not happen if it never started charging in ECO+, it'll just happily sits there waiting for the MGL surplus and doesn't pull from the battery.

aanyways, a trivial matter in the grand scheme of things!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Blues14

What do people think of this quote

Non-Battery System 

5.25kWp of modules

12x Bisol Premium 445w Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

Bisol Mounting system on a *Slate Roof (*Price may vary on roof type)

1 x Projoy Fire Safety Switch

AC Switchgear

Sofar 5kWp Inverter 

Costing

€8,750 (inclusive of VAT)

-€2,400 (SEAI Grant)

€6,350Final cost after grant incentive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Charlie 08

1st quote for us:

Battery System (Alpha)

4.5kWp of modules kitted to 10.1kWh battery storage

12 x Bisol Premium 375W Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

Bisol Mounting system on a *Slate Roof (*Price may vary on roof type)

1 x Projoy Fire Safety Switch

AC Switchgear

Alpha 5kWp Inverter kitted to 10.1kWh storage capacity

Costing

€13,900 (inclusive of VAT)

-€2,400 (SEAI Grant)

€11,500 Final cost after grant incentive

OPTIONAL EXTRAS

1. Warranty extension for the Alpha Inverter from 5 years to 10 years (Recommended): €350
    2. Change Over Switch: €1000 (To facilitate the use of the battery system to run your house during a power outage)
    3. Eddi Hot Water Diverter: €650
    4. Zappi Car Charger: €1450

way too high for a basic 4.5kwp system imho, have you checked back through this thread for other quotes and feedback

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Does it include a battery, you said that there was a 10 kwh battery but not listed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

I imagine it includes one, they say kitted to a 10.1 battery. At that price it's about 1k over so a bit of haggling could get it down.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

I'm presuming it does. Getting back to them again next week so I'll check then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Scrap the 'Warranty extension for the Alpha Inverter from 5 years to 10 years (Recommended): €350'. That's high relative to the cost of the inverter. And on this forum I've only seen 1-2 people talk about the inverter dying and needing a warranty replacement in the 6 months I've been here. So 5 year standard warranty is plenty IMO. Use the 350 to get another panel instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Rogtronic1

@HotSwap Thanks for the help.

Firstly, yes my roof is all over the place! This image is from a new quote and the pic is oriented with North at the top.

4.4kw (11 panel) Solar Panel System with a 3.6 kwh battery. Canadian Solar all black 400w panels.

The inverter we supply is the Solis 3kw Hybrid

The Battery we will supply is called Dyness, this is a 3.6kwh with a 10-year warranty and 6000 cycles at

90% DoD.

The total cost of the system is €12462.3

€10062 after grant.

Do you have significant shading issues; are they putting panels pointing in multiple directions? You would be getting a class setup with quote one; but it’s clearly expensive. You will get panel level data about your system; and the battery has great performance in terms of discharge rates (up to 7kwh for short periods of time). Ask for them to specify the capacity of the inverter.

As I mentioned I have rooves in all directions! I'll ask for the capacity of the inverter :)

By the looks of it the second quote is from the same supplier? And I note they have not specified the huawei optimisers; so I assume they are not needed on this install. Get them to give you a price for a 10kWh battery. The huawei battery expands in 5kWh modules. So you can expand it easy in the future if you leave enough space. The main difference between the SolarEdge price and this will be that the SolarEdge requires each panel to have an optimiser; where as with huawei it’s optional. Get the price for 10kWh and then at least your comparing like for like. Your discharge rate from the huawei will suffer if you only have a single 5kWh module. Just fyi.

It is the same supplier. The info I was given is they dont sell optimisers for Huawei but you are saying Huawei panels dont need them?

3rd one seems like a different supplier? If they can fit more panels on i’d also be asking quote 1 and 2 to match that number of panels; you want to max you your roof if possible / what you can afford. But they are matching a 3KW inverter with 5.4 kWh of panels; so prob best to avoid them as they seem a bit stupid. For the minor cost increase of going from 3kwh to at least a 5kW or 6kw (you might as well max out your allowance). Your discharge rate would be limited to 3kwh here; which is a major limitation. I’d ask them to up the quote to a 10kWh battery and a 5kW inverter. And then you can compare like for like.

Thanks for the advice here. I wasn't aware the inverter was wrong for the job! I'll do as you say and see how I get on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Darando

Question to those already with an installation. Did you get your roof condition checked before installation? Have a 60s house and not sure if felt is in great condition in spots, and I imagine getting panels and then needing a patch of felt/membrane or tile in the future would be a pain!

Im guessing solar companies don't get involved with that type of stuff?

PV crews typically have professional roofers do the roof frame installation so they'd be well placed to advise but any work wouldn't be included in PV quote of course, but maybe they could do any necessary repairs off their own bat with the agreement of the main contractor.

"Im guessing solar companies don't get involved with that type of stuff?" Correct, well for our installer anyway. Tbh, I wouldn't expect them to do that. I'd expect them to would flag if they found something affecting the structure of the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Darando

Thanks, pretty much guessed no overlap. Just thinking ahead of potential things I'd have to get looked at in advance so not to be going back on myself in a year or 2.

TBH they are so busy (sellers market in solar now), I struggled to get them to even snag stuff 6 months ago. And that was before it got really really busy. I got sorted in the end but I'd agreed to hold payment back for that reason. So make sure you agree the payment terms. Don't pay all the balance on install day - you won't know if it's all sorted that soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 IamIsaid

Opinions please...

1st quote:

10 * 415 Watt panels - Tiger Neo N-type 54HL4-B 400-420 Watt All Black

Inverter - Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. - 4 kW Total Inverter Rating - 1 x SUN2000-4KTL-L1

Eco-Smart Energy Diverter - 3.68 kW eco-smart energy diverter, 230V AC Single Phase, Rated Current - 16A, Standby Power Consumption - 3W, Weight - 4.3 kg

1 x Eddi

€9,850.00 before grant

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

can you not put more panels on that extension at the bottom?

on that new quote again it’s madness not matching the output of your array with the capacity of the inverter. It’s tiny money to upgrade from 3KW to 4kw to get closer to the capacity of the panels.

It’s very poor solar design to have panels facing in 3 different directions connected to an inverter that only supports 2 separate string inputs. It’s too complicated to get into in detail here. But one way around this is to use a “optimised” design; where each panel has a small device attached to it that essentially makes each panel its own independent entity; it cannot be affected by other panels in the system. This allows you to put panels in whatever orientation you want; and still have an effective system.

Huawei sell their own optimisers that work with the sun2000 range of inverters they sell yes; I’d prob avoid the installer that told you this as they are either not knowledgable about the solution they are selling or they were misleading you.

So I’m general I’m against optimising panels; but your house might be a good candidate because of the shading and 3 orientations. But they do cost about 40 euro per panel; so it adds cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

2nd quote, different supplier from up north, €9,600 - DavidHunt.ie's site says it's "at the upper end" and should be about about €7900 using the rule of thumb calcs. Any opinions?

10 x 400w JA panels = 4kwp system

Inverter –Solis 5kw hybrid

Mounting Kit- Renosol roof mount As Required, Check Meter- 1x check meter, Scaffolding, All required Electrical Work

1x DC ISOLATOR, 1x AC ISOLATOR, 1x Fireman switch

Batteries- Dyness 1 x 5kwh Dyness

Solar Switch- for heating hot water through the solar panels with surplus power

1 x Eddi

Customer to get own BER

Grand Total (including VAT) €12,000.00

Installer will claim the SEAI grant. (€2,400.00)

Net €9,600.00

Without battery: €8,100 (ie €1,500 for the battery)

On the battery - I think I've seen someone else ask but without an answer. At the start of this thread it says batteries are no longer recommended due to feeding back into the grid, but people seem to be choosing night rate electricity to charge their batteries to use during the day, which seems like a good idea to me. What's the general opinion now - battery or not?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

Re the battery.. I'm strongly in favour as you say you can import overnight and use during the day. I only have my system since November and without the battery we have seen very little solar savings or export to offset the high day rate we paying now. This of course should change as the days get brighter.. a lot depends on your usage patterns.

Just on your quote bers are expensive these days.. 250 to 300 I've seen quoted..also a 5kwh battery won't cover a lot of the day. We have a 9.5kwhr.. but batteries are expensive and seem to have gotten even more so in last few months

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Rogtronic1

@HotSwap The lower roof would spend too much time being shaded by my neighbours I feel. Maybe in the future.

on that new quote again it’s madness not matching the output of your array with the capacity of the inverter. It’s tiny money to upgrade from 3KW to 4kw to get closer to the capacity of the panels.

I asked that question and this is what I got back:

If all panels were on the same roof, yes. However, you are spread over three roofs and will never hit 4.4 at the same time.

Is there an inverter you would recommend to allow 3 different strings? Most of the suppliers have recommended optimisers for my setup however the fitter who said Huaweii don't sell them maybe has none in stock and is trying to get me to buy their Solar Edge setup. I am learning that all the fitters I talk to are trying to sell me the system they want rather than the one I need. And all the fitters are the ones recommended on this forum!

• Advertisement

Well it’s a 3KW hybrid inverter so that means you’re fitting a battery or intend to add one later. If you opt to have a 3kw version you are also limiting yourself to 3kw rate of charge (during night boost 2-4am) and also rate of discharge; if you boil your kettle (2.5-3kwh) and have any other load on in your house that adds up to over 3kwh you will draw from the grid even if your battery is full. With higher capacity inverters your charge and discharge rates usually increase but it does depend on the vendor. You have to get stuck into the data sheets to make sure you know what you’re getting and that it matches your needs.

regarding the 3 strings; what your looking for in the spec sheet is 3 MPPT hybrid inverter. Id have to look into that for you; I’ll ask tomorrow and see what comes back.

I’ll check on the stocks of huawei optimisers and let you know also.

that solar edge setup is great technically; you also have the option to use the battery as a backup power source for your house in the event of a grid outage. It’s worth pointing out that just because you get a battery doesn’t mean you will have power in a outage; unless you specifically ask for it if the grid goes down your solar panels and also your battery will go offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I'm trying to judge between 5 quotes I've had for Solar PV over the past month. I thought they might be useful for others to see the variance in quotes also.

I've had varying proposals (including batteries and not). I've tried to balance them out by adding in BER and Eddi even though some suggested it and others didn't. I've allowed €300 for BER and €700 for an Eddi.

This take's no account of quality of equipment (I wouldn't be qualified to judge this). I also haven't made any allowance for install date (varying from 2-6 months)

What else is there to consider in judging these quotes? I'm happy to hear any suggestions on them. Thanks for any input.

(Edit - Updated with column headers)

Post edited by machalla on

What are your columns?

ID, kWP, Number of Panels, Battery Included, Battery Capacity, Price, Price??

Jist divide the cost (F or G) by the kWp (B) and you will get euros per kWp. This way you can compare A/B with each other and then C, D and E. I’d strongly advise you not to pick a system based totally on price without undertaking some kind of research into the pros and cons of each system. You might end up with something that does not meet your needs. I’d advise you to post some kind of details about your typical usage and also a summary of the details of each of the quotes.

Cheers Hotswap. I've updated that with column headers.

Some details below :

Typical usage is around 5,000 kW/h per annum.

Considering an Eddi but could get by without it. House is currently oil heated. Unlikely to ever be suitable for a heat pump as it's an old house and renovation costs would be far too high.

Likely to be converting a shed into a living space heated with electrical heating over the next 1-2 years.

No EV currently but an EV charger in place (Zappi).

N.B I've allowed €300 for BER and €700 for an Eddi as some installers included these in price while others didn't. To balance across the the options I've included those.

A -

• Denim Glass to Glass, Mono Crystalline 400w PV Module

• SolarEdge Inverter

• SolarEdge S440 Power Optimiser (with Arc protection)

[No battery]

B -

No specifc details offered other than cost and number of panels

[No battery]

C -

Longi 410W Panel

Solis Hybrid 6KW Inverter

Weco 5.3XP Battery

D -

Tiger Neo N-type 415 Watt Panel

SolaX Power 6.0 kW

SolaX Power 5.8 kWh

E -

370w JA Mono panels

Solis 6kw hybrid

5.1kw Dyness battery

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭grimeire

I was just talking to him on friday and they messed up the quote. It €1000 he is charging now i got him down on price on the PV panels and the other company said they can not match it. The other company said they can not go below 1200 for the zappi. They said they are increasing their prices for it as they are making nothing off it. Makes sense since cheapest I can see them is €900.

for the following its working out at 12K before grand is taken off. So should be about 9k after i get PV and car charger grants.

6.640Kw System

16x 415w Suntech Solar Panels

6Kw SOFAR Hybrid Inverter(HYD6000EP)

Van Der Valk Mounting

Cable and Wiring

ZAPPI Tethered Car Charger 7Kw

Do you know if there is different model numbers for the Zappi with hub built in and without as i cant seem to find anything on it. Would you recommend me to get the eddi now or is it something i can install myself(i guess not). The house has air to water so with the costs of running that i dont think there will be much electric to send anywhere else on most days. The last thing i want is to be ripping the plaster board off and chasing walls for cabling again.

On the battery side does anyone know do i need it signed off by an electrician if i fit one later or can anyone fit them? I assume not since there is a DIY battery option.

How come they arnt all suggesting 18 panels? Are they all on one roof or split in different directions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

Re the zappi with the hub built in.. its version 2.1.. basically it can connect directly to wifi without the hub.. if you have a 2.1 eddi.. it can connect to wifi directly without hub as well.. if you have both you set one as the master unit.. probably the zappi.. and the eddi pairs to it..

Some were suggesting 12 panels, others 15 or higher. The more expensive the quote the fewer panels they suggested from what I could see.

All panels to be fitted on one one part of the roof. It's a bungalow roof with plenty of room. The house is not overlooked and that side of the house is well oriented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

• Advertisement

Yes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement