Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

So tanks and longer range missiles deliveries well under way. Putin still hasn't launched nukes. I can't wait for fighter jets and attack helis to be announced so we can finally stop hearing about red lines and nuclear sabre rattling.

At that point the red line would be shifted to a NATO country directly entering Ukraine or Belarus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Time for the 155 artillery and guided shells to shine. May as well be watching the videos from last year, remember the tank column entering a town single file. Ukraine decimated that and they are better armed now! Even without western tanks, I think this advance from Russia will prove even more costly. Probably launched too soon to get gains for the 1 year anniversary and also before western tanks arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

This rumour has been circulating for a few months now - hopefully there is some truth to it, but the ball is in Jordans court...

People, and the media, got all hung up on a few dozen leopard 2 tanks going to Ukraine but seem to have no interest in potentially hundreds of challenger 1 tanks going.

An updated C1 is probably a better tank than the Leopard 2a4 - at least in terms of armor. It's miles ahead of the 1a5 and far better than most if not all Russia tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Guarantee scholz will block any being bought to be sent to Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

They're British made so Scholz can do SFA about it if another country decides to buy and send them. The only thing I'd imagine as a real practical hangup is the logistics for a 40 year old tank.

Is supporting these tanks even logistically possible? I'd imagine not many countries would have spare parts for them lying around. Would be sweet if possible though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

My newspaper statement was in a different context altogether. We were talking about the apparent opinion misalignment between US military & US politics.

The first statement was in clear reference to the Hersh article*.

If you try having a go at me maybe sort out your own head first. The fact you're actually getting 'thanks' for your incoherent reply just confirms my thoughts about this thread.

* Which I cross read again btw. Where does he say it was Norwegian mine sweepers? Like I said I only cross read it. It's lengthy and makes sweeps into history and such and I'm on a workday, I might have genuinely missed it. But since you seem to know you might be able to point it out to me.

And wtf is all that sh1te about where I'm from? I'm on boards for what feels like forever. On my 2nd account admittedly. Where do you think iI'm from?

In theory they could deploy 100 of them and keep others to be cannibalized ,but if they have that many tanks ,they would also have some spares too

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Don't dis plastics. If you made a tank hull out of thick enough Dyneema (UHMWPE), it would probably be tougher while weighing a third or less the weight. Might be costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

"And wtf is all that sh1te about where I'm from?"

I asked a simple question trying to find out if newspapers were somehow unusual where you come from since you felt you had to make a point about reading them yourself and suggested I should try to do so myself. I really don't care where you are from but if you would like me to guess I'd say Trollskyland due to the volume of pro russian vomit you keep referring to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Some of these are posters who have previously claimed that e.g. Russia weren't killing civilians in the invasion or that the US was somehow behind it and so on. Reductionists and revisionists who pander to simplistic narratives rather than reality. The "smarter" ones create new accounts or are just happy to play a cautious role of contrarian in the threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Thats the problem with you and most others on this thread. You're confusing attempts at neutral level-headedness and rationale with pro-Russian. You're falling for that 'if you're not with us you're against us' thing.

With that attitude you're only setting yourself up for disappointment when it inevitably turns out the world is not as simple as that

Competing to see who can be the biggest failure apparently

"The head of the Wagner mercenary group repeatedly criticized the Russian military leadership. Defense Minister Shoigu is also in the firing line. This is now apparently sending fighters from the Patriot military company to the Donbass. The security company is considered a competitor of the Wagner group.

According to Ukrainian sources, after the Wagner group, Moscow is moving another group of mercenaries to the Donbass. Accordingly, fighters from the private military company Patriot were sighted near Wuhledar in the Donetsk region. This was announced by Serhii Cherevatyi, spokesman for the eastern group of the Ukrainian armed forces, according to the online portal Ukrajinska Pravda in a TV interview. The information cannot be independently verified."

""In particular, in the Stepne area on the Wuhledar front, we noticed that in addition to the Wagner group, the Patriot military company, associated with the current Russian Defense Minister Shoigu, also appeared," Cherevatyi said. "Obviously they pull all combat powers in order to achieve at least a few successes." Asked about rumors of a conflict between the two mercenary companies, Cherevatyi said that the Wagner group and the Patriot company were competitors. However, both would currently be deployed on different front sectors."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

A10s and cluster bombs would have a field day against these Russian columns. One plane would decimate an entire battalion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

Romania denies that any missiles crossed its airspace, in which case NATO has no reason to respond

I saw that, it's disputed. Meanwhile this stuff is constantly flying over poor Moldova, who've always been next on the list for the Kremlin

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And tankies wonder why so many ex-USSR countries wanted to join NATO. And now Finland and Sweden.

This is how Russia treats 'neutrals'.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

If you can prove half the s…te you come out with,maybe you wouldnt get the response you are getting,just a hint

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sure show us some examples where your 'neutral level headedness' plays out into a pro-Ukrainian or anti-Russian view.

Instead all we see is 'neutral level headedness' being manifested as repeating pro-Russian or anti-Western propaganda cues.

We've not confused. We see through the charade.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Yesterday at Vuhledar 31 tanks and other vehicles destroyed by Ukrainian forces while 500+ Russians killed in a single engagement,but suffered more losses in the same area earlier in the week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

The talk of Russian attrition has quietened down somewhat in the last while. I don't exactly know what to make of Wagner no longer recruiting from prisons and while today was another bad one the frequency of rocket attacks has noticeably abated at least. But quantity still seems to be on their side, for now.

Waiting them out looks more and more like the least favourable (but the only real) option at the moment. They need to be kicked out and hard or they will just keep coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

russians continue their attack on Ukraine's civilian population with air defenses shooting down 61 of the 71 cruise missiles and 5 Iranian drones launched already today. Also seen Zelensky broadcast where he claims their radar saw missiles flying through Romanian airspace in spite of denials from the NATO member that this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

There has been plenty of mentions of it here but the Putinbots like to ignore it. They place the same value on all lives, I.e. none. They just don’t care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

Patron is still doing his day job working as a Sapper.

He also now has an animated cartoon series on YouTube which warns Ukrainian kids about the dangers of mines/unexploded munitions.

Many are mines and boobytraps deliberately set in household furniture, pianos, behind doors, in gardens. They have to make a children's cartoon because of the callous depravity of the Russian military.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭MudSpud

Sachsenhausen was a prison for poitical prisoners. It wasn't particularly harsh and certainly not for Bandera.

You're correct about Belsen and Buchenvald.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'll bet NATO will continue on this tack unless something really obvious kicks off. They were quick to poo poo the stray rocket into Poland, even while Ukraine were hopping up and down saying it was Russian. Within hours NATO/US said nope, a Ukrainian missile and kept the Ukrainians out of the investigation loop.

NATO do not want to escalate this directly. Biden has said straight up that US/NATO personnel will not be deployed in Ukraine because that's "World War 3". IMHO US/NATO while again happy to give training to Ukrainian troops since 2014 had near zero intentions of adding them to NATO itself. That's Russian BS. For all sorts of reasons, not least their issues with corruption and a dodgy civil war in the east of the country and yep their far right elements which the US State dept noted and pointed to before this invasion kicked off.

I suspect they're surprised how this kicked off and especially how it's going. I reckon they were just as surprised when Zelensky made his now infamous line "I don't need a ride I need ammunition" and the forecast originally was Russia would take the capital and it would be denouncements in the UN, sanctions, Russia is a rogue state etc, but got a shock when that didn't happen.

I further suspect many of the NATO allies quite simply don't have the men and materiel to actually fight Russia, even if they had the stomach for it and they certainly don't have too much spare kit to be handing out. Germany a good example. As I reckoned earlier in the thread, they're not so quick to give tanks for a few reasons, the oul nazi guilt but one of them, but more than that, IMHO they simply don't have enough of them in actual working order to give and this was a big reason they were dragging their heels to not make that so obvious. For years German critics within and without the Bundeswehr have been openly complaining about the lack of preparedness in too many areas. Since the Cold War froze over balls have been dropped, especially in Germany.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement