Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Dream on, you have been wishing "they" may have decided that for decades, and how many P.M.s have they gone through since then. I think "they" have quite enough to do on their plate now, thank you.....without trying to push a population against the terms of the GFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

'They' decided to Brexit (once unthinkable) , 'they' decided to put a border in the Irish Sea (A PM promised not to do that and did do that), 'they' are likely to do anything that suits them. And at the moment it suits them to rid themselves of NI to get on with the Brexit they decided to do.

They did not decide to "do" Brexit overnight......and they put it to a referendum when they thought it was worth putting to a referendum. A lot of things changed when the UK joined the EEC, a lot of Brits weren't happy they joined, then the EEC morphed into the EU and far more Brits weren't happy. A lot of Brits could see the EU turning into a United States of Europe because it has it's own currency , Parliament and was looking to create it's own armed forces. A lot of British were not happy they were the second biggest contributers to the EEC/ EU and seeing so much of their money squandered, as they saw it. I remember meeting a hard working family from England about 19 or 20 years ago, they were here on holiday and staying in B+B's, they were astonished at all the new mansions of B+Bs built here in Ireland with EU money as they claimed. But the main reason it eventually turned into a referendum was Nigel Farage who was getting large support from Brits who weren't happy with what was going on and the 50,000 rules and regulations the UK had taken on since the EU was formed. The Tories could see the support Nigel Farage was getting and David Cameron decided to hold a referendum that he thought remain would win, but unfortunately for him and the remain camp they lost and it's been happy days ever since.

If the British government want to leave N.I. they cannot abandon it, they have to hold a referendum.

Nobody said they could 'abandon it'. Why are you making stuff up?

What I said was 'they could decide to ditch it' and move it towards a referendum which they can call anytime they choose. Which a lot of people think they are doing.

Their courts found that they have no need to evidence why they called it. So a BP could be 20 years away or be called tomorrow.

The point being made is we should be ready and it is irresponsible in a Brexitian way, not to be.

What would be the difference between "could abandon it" and "could ditch it". You think there is a big difference. Dream on. There would have to be referendum. Do not hold your breath waiting for a majority of the people in NI to want reunification and for a majority in the Republic to want the same - especially after the cost, in more ways than one, is pointed out.

• Advertisement

You missed the word 'decide' willfully or otherwise.

You 'decide' to do something then you make the arrangements to implement that decision, which would or could be, first, push NI away and then at a certain point you call a BP.

The first move is in progress, NI Unionists have been pushed away from the Union and are refusing to accept it's laws.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Not more of the Brexiteer rubbish.

The fifty thousand of EU rules - but not able to name one - except perhaps the one about bendy bananas (A Johnson lie). However, most of those rules were proposed by the UK, or strongly supported.

No EU money went on building B&B mansions - not one Euro.

The Brits that supported Farage were not those described but the rich disaster capitalists who hoped to make a killing on the breakup of the NHS and other state assets that would pass into their control for next to nothing.

Cameron was a gambler that placed his last all-in bet one time too many. When he lost, he left the table and quit.

I think the above quoted post is a rant from two or three years ago, but perhaps further back. It would have been rubbish then and still is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

He's in the SDLP is he not?

The people of the north seem to have decided reunification can be done without the SDLP. Maybe he is angry?

Don't shoot the messenger because he is not your party, look at his message instead.

And no, the people of the north have not decided "renunification" can be done with or without the SDLP. At the last election, afaik, Sinn Fein only got 27.9% of the vote. Dup got 28.1%. Non Sinn Fein parties got 72.1% of the vote.

And as regards "reunification", Ireland was similar to Italy and Germany being comprised of small principalities with no 'national' parliament or ruling family. The only time Ireland was unified was with British rule. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland was a sovereign state in Northwestern Europe that comprised the entirety of the geographical entity known as the British Isles between 1801 and 1922. It was established by the Acts of Union 1800, which merged the Kingdom of Great Britain and the Kingdom of Ireland into a unified state.

• Advertisement

Paywalled article, but here is the text for those who want to see it:

-------------------------------------

Reunification would be easier if Sinn Féin didn’t exist, says Irish unity campaigner

Author Paul Gosling says it’s self-defeating for party not to try and make NI a success, but also argues that Stormont is now so dysfunctional it can never work

Ex-Stormont aide Paul Gosling on the dysfunctionality he saw within Stormont and how Irish unity would be easier without Sinn Fein

Sam McBride, Belfast Telegraph

-----------------------------------

Irish unity would now be far more achievable if Sinn Féin didn’t exist, the author of a book arguing in favour of reunification has claimed.

Veteran journalist Paul Gosling is convinced a united Ireland would improve the lives of people here.

The former Labour councillor, who was born in England and was baptised a Protestant, is now an atheist.

Having lived in Londonderry for over two decades, he is dismayed by what he has seen of how this place is run — and also by the behaviour of some of those pushing for reunification.

In an interview for The BelTel podcast, Mr Gosling said a senior Sinn Féin figure had told him he would never try to make Northern Ireland work.

The author of A New Ireland: A Ten Year Plan said this was short-sighted because persuading the Republic to vote in favour of unity and then ensuring the new state worked after a referendum would mean making Northern Ireland less dysfunctional.

Mr Gosling moved to Derry with his then German wife 23 years ago.

He was a Labour councillor in Leicester from 1987 to 1991, often clashing with controversial local MP Keith Vaz, before a high level career in journalism in British broadsheet newspapers.

In 2022 he left a job as an assistant to SDLP MLA Sinead McLaughlin after two years, being horrified by what he observed inside the Stormont system.

“My view [of Stormont] wasn’t as unflattering beforehand as it was afterwards,” he said.

“Everyone knows that Stormont has difficulties, but it is a completely dysfunctional system.

“I was completely appalled. The difficulty getting things done was just astonishing.

“The example which struck me more than anything else was trying to get some gullies cleaned in a part of Derry because they were causing flooding, and more than two years on, they are still blocked. I couldn’t get it done.”

He claimed “the system blocks you”, with a cadre of civil servants who “don’t expect to be told what to do, nor actually will they respond well to being asked in terms of what needs to be done”.

As well as that general inability to deliver good governance, he believes there is a particular neglect west of the Bann — some of which is down to sectarian attitudes, but which is more prevalent as a belief that if Belfast and the east of the province do well, then that will gradually benefit the west of the province.

He said it was easier to get things done as a councillor in England.

In Stormont, he claimed the Civil Service seemed to interpret its role as supporting the DUP and Sinn Féin.

No longer an SDLP member, Mr Gosling nevertheless praised the party, saying Matthew O’Toole was Stormont’s most talented MLA.

But he added “clearly the SDLP has a serious problem”, and its future is to an extent dependent on events beyond its control.

He believes if Sinn Féin entered government in Dublin and didn’t perform as well as expected, it may damage the republican party on both sides of the border.

Mr Gosling described the quality of Sinn Féin’s MLAs and TDs as “not that great”, and even some of the party’s most senior figures who he’d debated with were “not great performers”, something that hadn’t been exposed because: “I think all the parties, and also I think journalism, have let Sinn Féin off the hook a bit.”

When asked if Irish unity would be closer if Sinn Féin did not exist, he said: “Yes, because they don’t do what I’ve just said we need to do.

“I don’t think they properly talk to people from other backgrounds.

“I mean, it’s difficult because Sinn Féin [‘Ourselves alone’] hasn’t got the right name for doing it.

“Some of the things they’re doing, and some of the organisations they support, actually do move things forward.

“I think what Ireland’s Future is doing, for example, is very positive.

“I was doing an event a few years ago where I said: ‘We have to get to a position where both the DUP and Sinn Féin recognise that it’s in their interests to make Northern Ireland work’.

“And the person who was alongside me — who was at the time a very senior person within Sinn Féin — said: ‘There is no way that I will ever do anything to try to make Northern Ireland work’.

“There are parts of Sinn Féin that believe the best prospects for them winning a vote is to make Northern Ireland a failed state, a failure.

“We have to persuade Sinn Féin that it’s not in their interests.”

Paul Gosling's book sets out how Irish unity could come about

He accepted that was not the position of all in Sinn Féin, nor of its leadership today.

But he argued the party was “a very divided organisation… one of those [divisions] seems to be about whether you want genuinely to make Northern Ireland a place that works”.

Mr Gosling said the party’s IRA baggage was an impediment to persuading some people who otherwise might be open to Irish unity.

The author added he did not believe — as many republicans claim — unity is inevitable.

He said: “It’s not inevitable. I think it is likely, and I think we need to work out what we get out of this.”

While support for a united Ireland has grown from a low base before Brexit, Mr Gosling said he did not believe it was simply a pendulum which might swing back in favour of the Union, “because I think the middle ground is now so large that Northern Ireland can never be a unionist state again”.

He said unity “has to involve the abolition of Stormont… you have to move beyond Stormont” as it doesn’t work, and never will.

Mr Gosling accepted the Republic could probably not afford to take on Northern Ireland right now, given the scale of London’s subsidy for the region.

He advocates a reduction in the number of public sector workers to the levels in the Republic or England — something opposed by both the SDLP and Sinn Féin.

“There is this lazy conversation that we haven’t got enough money,” he said.

“You hear this from Conor Murphy quite a bit in terms of... the health service... that it has been underfunded.

“Well, no, the problem with the health service is not that it has been underfunded; the problem is that we haven’t reformed it… we need to have people in politics that have the guts to say we have to reform things.”

I get that this guy is the latest darling of Unionism and Unionist sympathetic journalists and newspapers. But ask yourself - if SF were indeed absent, how far would an Irish Unity advocate get with Unionism?

You are being played as Mr Gosling is and as the SDLP were. The SDLP are where they are because they allowed themselves to be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Whatever your issues are with the SDLP , this guy has a point. The way NI is being run is making unity less likely because nothing is being done to fix its economy. SF populist approach is making things worse if recent reports on budgets etc are to be believed. Support for unity within SF /SDLP voters is not where it should be and way behind support for the union amongst the other side.

Republicans need to convince their own first before worrying about chipping away at unionist support.

I would not say he is a "darling of Unionism", he is an Irish unity campaigner. However, the unionists are generally fair people and are at least prepared to listen to him and give him fair speak. I suppose the fact he never engaged in or condoned violence / murder helps.

Of course he is the darling du jour. Have a look at who is retweeting and quoting his writing.

All we need now is FF and FG to join in.

If it criticises SF it will do.

But of course you didn't answer my question:

How far do you think an Irish Unity campaigner would get with Unionism? Would he ever get their 'permission' to hold a referendum on the issue, do you think?

You can use historical facts in your reply.

I think it is 'the people' who have issue with the SDLP jh.

The irish unity campaigner has got his case heard and publicised in the Belfast Telegraph. If there was a possibility of a victory for the UI side in a Referendum, then I am sure there would be a referendum again. It would only be divisive if there was a referendum now, as all polls show there is not the support there for a UI victory.

What do you think of the Irish Unity campaigner / politician, who was listening to the person alongside him — who was at the time a very senior person within Sinn Féin — and who heard from the SF person : ‘There is no way that I will ever do anything to try to make Northern Ireland work’.

Do you think there are parts of Sinn Féin that believe the best prospects for them winning a vote is to make Northern Ireland a failed state, a failure?

Is that a large part of why the government in NI, of which SF has been a part of for many years, so bad?

He said " I was completely appalled. The difficulty getting things done was just astonishing."

“The example which struck me more than anything else was trying to get some gullies cleaned in a part of Derry because they were causing flooding, and more than two years on, they are still blocked. I couldn’t get it done.”

He claimed “the system blocks you”, with a cadre of civil servants who “don’t expect to be told what to do, nor actually will they respond well to being asked in terms of what needs to be done”.

Here are the issues I have with this kind of agenda driven political navel gazing.

I and even you could write the exact same thing, only switching out SF for 'Unionism'.

I.E. Without Unionism we would have a UI. Without 'Unionism partition would never have happened.

The only difference in reaction to a pointless argument like that would be that I would be accused of wanting ethnic cleansing.

It's a stupid pointless argument when SF have the support they have.

Get the point? I think you do but would never admit it.

The other issue I have with this is, you say there is no support for a UI, (I am of the view that is because there is no plan at present for a UI) but there is support for a party who are intent on not making NI work.

Why would that be in your opinion? Why would the electorate support such a party?

What way do you think that huge majority of Nationalists would vote in a Border Poll?

You really can't have it both ways here.

Edit: And it shouldn't need to be said, but the SDLP were in devolved government themselves when the statelet failed at the most tragic and costly level. Their signal inititive to fix it (Sunningdale) was brought down by Unionism and elements of the British.

'Gullies in 'London'Derry indeed!

Post edited by FrancieBrady on

You miss the point. The experienced Irish unity campaigner said " Reunification would be easier if Sinn Féin didn’t exist". He did NOT say Reunification would be easier if Nationalism didn’t exist. Big difference.

Also, you claim I said  "there is no support for a UI". I never said that. I said before, post no. 401, at the last election, afaik, Sinn Fein only got 27.9% of the vote. Dup got 28.1%. A good few Catholics, including some with good government jobs, wish to stay part of the UK. Clearly there is some support for a UI in N. Ireland, but in all the polls there is not enough support to win a possible Referendum.

2 months ago "Northern Ireland vote decisively against a united Ireland if there was a Border poll, according to an Ipsos opinion poll for a new research project into North-South relations and political views on the future of the island.

The poll shows almost twice as many voters who expressed a preference want to remain in the United Kingdom."

You really have not done your argument any favours.

Edit: and the bit where you edit about Sunningdale etc is just whataboutery going back 50 years. A lot has changed in 50 years in N. Ireland, Britain, Ireland and every country in the world, including demographics.

Ok,

You and I could just as easily write an agenda driven piece of pointless navel gazing on the DUP or the UUP or the TUV.

The facts here are that the statlet failed long before SF got into power. Prehaps Mr Gosling might look next at the SDLP's role in that.

• Advertisement

and who do you think worked - or currently works - hardest at making "the statelet" fail?

It has failed, long ago and nobody can make it work. That is abundantly clear. It cannot govern itself because of how it was designed.

You still did not answer the simple question: who do you think worked - or currently works - hardest at making "the statelet" fail?

Those who are blocking rights and trying to re-establish the Unionist veto. Is it not obvious?

Oh so it was "dem unionists" who sought hardest and fought hardest to make N.Ireland fail? If that was so, why was it the Republicans and not dem Unionists who bombed the economic targets and kidnapped and murdered the industrialists?

Why do SF go on about the "failed statelet"? You cannot have it both ways.

And again, wWhat do you think of the Irish Unity campaigner / politician, who was listening to the person alongside him — who was at the time a very senior person within Sinn Féin — and who heard from the SF person : ‘There is no way that I will ever do anything to try to make Northern Ireland work’.

I think you need to look at the actual history here.

Who changed the voting system under the eyes of the British government to create a sectarian bigoted statelet with a built in Unionist veto?

Read John Hume on the Unionist veto an get back to me.

By the way, A senior Unionist told me the moon was made of orange cheese. Seriously, he did.

See how easy it is to say stuff? That's why I ignored what he wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Bigotry clouds their judgement. Rather be hating the "Brits" rather than doing something that might achieve a UI.

Yet who sought hardest and fought hardest to make N.Ireland fail? Why was it the Republicans and not the Unionists who bombed the economic targets and kidnapped and murdered the industrialists? Why do SF go on about the "failed statelet"? You cannot have it both ways.

I am not looking to have it both ways.

The statelet failed long before it went inevitably up in flames. That is fact.

• Advertisement

It was not perfect in the 50's or 60's but show me any state in the world that was. Now, by bombing - countless times - economic targets and kidnapping and murdering industrialists, who fought and sought hardest to make it a failed state / go up in flames in the 70's, 80's etc. What party or group took delight and pride in continually proclaiming it to be a failed state? Why did the very senior person in SF say ‘There is no way that I will ever do anything to try to make Northern Ireland work’.

As someone else said: "There are parts of Sinn Féin that believe the best prospects for them winning a vote is to make Northern Ireland a failed state, a failure. We have to persuade Sinn Féin that it’s not in their interests.”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement