Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 and Model Y Waiting Room and Delivery Queries (No referral links)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Specifically talking about the Reg.

Grant will be tapered alright in July. But all other EV’s will go up by the same amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Dix they email you an iban to send to? I havent got a place to send to money to so im assuming im getting a free tesla. Kidding, havent got the iban email/txt yet. Everything done, car assigned text received today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭_aurora_borealis

Thank you all for the insights. I guess it is a waiting game at this stage.

I have also received the text stating that my Model Y's arrival date is being calculated, but not been asked to complete payment yet. Tesla gave me a ridiculous trade-in offer so will sell it on my own instead as I will get 6 or 7 K more by selling it on DoneDeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭liyan

Have approached a few installers, and even those approved by Tesla advised me to stay away from the Tesla wall connector. They said the Tesla one has very limited features and not having load balancing/management is especially a problem.

Since I have an electrical shower at home, a priority board would have to be installed if I go with Tesla wall connector. Also the Tesla one isn't really considered a smarter charger and it is very likely the 600 EUR SEAI grant won't be applicable to this model in the near future.

I'm considering Ohme Home Pro with 8m tethered cable. Hope your experience with it has been positive. 😊

Use my referral link to purchase a Model 3 or Model Y and save 500 EUR: https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/yan759808

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭usernameunknown

I didn’t know this regarding the Tesla charger. Anyone else have any thoughts here from experience?

Well with ohme ive using it to charge my ioniq 5 had no problem it good.My sister charge her E- Golf fine as well on the ohme.

Tesla wall connector is not OZEV approved (presumable due to it not being a smart one), so it's not eligible for the government grant in the UK.

It is currently a grey area in Ireland. I contacted SEAI a few weeks ago and they were vague in their response to my query regarding Tesla wall connector. They said for the moment I could get the grant as long as I state "Others" in the Vendor and Model fields of the SEAI application.

But one of Tesla's approved installers told me clearly it would probably be excluded from the SEAI grant in the next month or two. They shared Tesla's response to them on this topic as follows.

"Regarding the SEAI grant, we do not comply for this due to the lack of capability of adjusting operation based on data from an external device such as a power meter. Again, this feature is on our product roadmap but is not released yet."

So if you like the design of Tesla wall connector and definitely prefer a Tesla only setup at home, it might make sense to get it installed soon while grant is still available for it.

Use my referral link to purchase a Model 3 or Model Y and save 500 EUR: https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/yan759808

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭usernameunknown

Thanks for that. I don’t know much about the chargers so apologies if this is a stupid question but what smart features is the Tesla charger missing compared to other brands?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,904 ✭✭✭✭josip

Regarding the current SEAI position, this is an email I received at the end of January when I specifically asked them:

Hello Sylvester,

Thank you for contacting SEAI.

I would like to confirm that yes the Tesla Wall Connector is eligible for the EV grant, so you will be able to proceed with your grant for the charger 

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us on 01 808 2100 or evchargers@seai.ie

Kind Regards,

Bob

This is what I received from Tesla.

Hello Sylvester,

Sorry for the late reply. 

I've checked with the team in Ireland it's included in the grant.

Kind Regards,

Joe

Tesla Support, EMEA

Thanks for the feedback. Would you be able to select the electricity supplier (SSE, Bord Gais, etc.) so that the charger could charge at the cheapest rate automatically? I think it's a feature on the UK model, and the user can benefit from the smart tariff of those electricity providers (Agile Octopus?) whose rates change every 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭gallagheri

SEAI did reply to me that Tesla Wall Connector applies for the grant.

I don't really know much about chargers myself, but according to the installers, not having load balancing seems to be the one they care/complain the most.

One Tesla approved installer told me that some of their customers complained about noise coming from the priority board, which is mandatory if electrical shower exists in the house and a charger without load balancing feature is installed. But again the noise could be due to a faulty priority board and other customers might be totally happy with Tesla wall connector.

And the installers' preference on non-Tesla chargers could be commercially related, which I have no way of verifying.

I got my Offer Letter from SEAI last week. As mentioned a few posts ago, you just choose "Other" and "Other" when it comes to make and model. I received the Offer Letter within 24 hours, and you then have 6 months to complete the installation.

Carplug.ie is installing the charger here on Monday the 20th of Feb, and they have as well confirmed that it is eligible for the grant as they have installed a number of the wall connectors already, being a Tesla-approved installer.

There option in the app once you know the rate your on in the day and night put it into the ohme app.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭gallagheri

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The Tesla charge point has only one real positive.... it has a button that will pop the charge port open on your Tesla. Not exactly a deal breaker if you dont have that.

On the flip side, it is missing alot of features that other charge points have. Load management and Solar integration are two big ones but you can also survive without those.

The lack of load management is a big one though. The charge point might be somewhat cheaper than others but if you have to pay an extra €200 to get that priority switch installed it doesn't look like such a great price then and that priority switch isn't ideal either in that it will cut the power to the charge point when you turn on your shower. Power cycling any electronics like that a few times a day just reduces its lifetime. A charge point that senses overload and reduces its current draw is a much better solution. Most charge points have it now.

At the end of the day it will charge your car the same as the most expensive ones will. You just have to decide if the "missing" features are a big deal to you or not but bear in mind you dont need a Tesla charge point just because you buy a Tesla car.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sprocket123

Anyone know how much it would cost to get Tesla wall charger installed?

• Advertisement

I am paying €650 inc. VAT for the installation through carplug.ie. With the SEAI grant, the final cost of installing it will be €550.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

Does the Tesla wall charger only cause problems if you have an electric shower? Mine was delivered today but I wasn't aware it would have these issues.

I live in a New Build, air to water heating, no electric showers. House also comes pre-wired for an EV home charger. Would I have any issues?

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭KLF

Yeah, you'll be fine with a new build. An electric shower is the only thing that comes near the power draw of an electric car charger so both at the same time can put you over the load limit. A priority switch needs to be installed in that case.

Sharing the quotes I received so far, and hope you find them helpful.

You will need to purchase the wall connector from Tesla yourself (currently 500 EUR). I approached all 3 installers covering Dublin area, who are approved by Tesla.

Installer #1: 953.40 EUR for Standard Installation. They also advised me to go for a smart charger, instead of Tesla.

Installer #2: Never got a price from them for installing Tesla charger, as they strongly advises me to avoid it. Part of their response is attached below for your reference. Instead they quoted Supply & Standard Install of Ohme Home Pro: 1,135 EUR for the model with 5-metre tethered cable and 1,272 EUR for the one with 8-metre tethered cable.

"I would not recommend the Tesla charging unit as it lacks a feature called load balancing. This would not be ideal as the charger doesn’t have the knowledge to switch off and prioritise other appliances. A priority can be installed however we strongly recommend considering another charging unit as with the priority switch it can cause loud bangs or clicks when in use which eventually needs to be removed due to the noise. We would advise against this charger massively."

Installer #3: Never got back to me, despite multiple call/email queries.

You may need to pay extra for additional electrical work required. In my case, the cables from the main fuse board to the ESB metre box need to be upgrade to 16mm, and gas bonding is also required. These 2 items will cost me close to 1,000 EUR.

All prices above include VAT. And 600 EUR SEAI grant can be claimed after the installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I have an electric shower at home so went with wallbox pulsar plus with load balancing. No problem for the last 2.5 years. Total cost was €1300 - the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mun1

Any chance we could move the home charger queries to the home charger thread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Just got a delivery date, had a few options but went with the earliest, 14th March!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RawDeal

Just got mine too, also booked for the 14th of March

Model 3 RWD, Silver

Ordered on October 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

See you guys there on the 14th......if someone buys my ID4 anyway! (and for those concerned, no VIN showing anywhere, but it did previously). Ordered late November, colour changed to black 13th Jan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Got mine too, only day that suited was the 18th, M3 rwd white. Ordered 15th Jan.

☀️

Advertisement