Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Can we give the Danes a claim too , being the Vikings settled there too .

I like I this game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

Ooo, yes. While we’re at let’s give Karelia back to Finland. Historically Finnish and all that.

Next poster, keep it going :P

Kaliningrad is historically part of Germany too and Karelia part of Finland

Whats your point..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Not pretty harsh in comparison to general Communist societies like the Soviet Union under Lenin to Khrushchev, Mao's China, Red Cambodia etc etc, but pretty f ing bad to most of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Didnt the Brits and French capture it in 1856? Bet you hadnt thought of that one :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Aye. I've had variable success in getting the webpage up. It works on my phone handily enough and most of the time, on my laptop it's touch and go and can be very slow to load, often kicking up a timeout page. But it is available and RT is live on Rumble IIRC? As I noted earlier it has dropped all previous pretense of being "independent/different viewpoint" now and has gone full on Russian State TV spin/propaganda hitting all the buzz points and revving up the viewing populace. More like Russian language TV, if not moreso actually for its English speaking fans and not just in the anglophone world. It's also much more aimed at places like Africa, ME, Asia. War footing I suppose.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Famous for the war fighters garment of choice the "Balaclava"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

If Coke and McDonalds tell them they're not bringing the Russians then they won't be bringing the Russians. Everyone else is just noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

If you like, you can read about why the EU sanctioned Russia Today/RT (since you are moaning about it for so many posts now) from the horse's mouth on https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2022/03/02/eu-imposes-sanctions-on-state-owned-outlets-rt-russia-today-and-sputnik-s-broadcasting-in-the-eu/.

Sputnik and Russia Today are under the permanent direct or indirect control of the authorities of the Russian Federation and are essential and instrumental in bringing forward and supporting the military aggression against Ukraine, and for the destabilisation of its neighbouring countries.

Those "neighbouring countries" would be us really [as EU members]. It happened after Russia invaded Ukraine. It was a bit of an "oh **** is it really 1938/39 again?" moment for the EU even if you missed it. RT was spreading Russian govt. propaganda before that of course, but it was not sanctioned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Double post glitch

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I agree Briany, but like I was saying earlier Russia(like China) is far more an empire than a nation like France, or Sweden, or Ireland and that is a distinction we have to apply to understand their "thinking". To us it's obvious that Ukraine is, well, Ukrainian, but to the Russian imperial cultural mindset it's subtly and not so subtly different. Going back to Catherine the Great who said "how I protect Russia's borders is by extending them" illustrates this. Russian Mir is both bordered and borderless.

Even within their language we can see this distinction. There are "Russians" and "Russians", that is "ethnic Russians" how we'd view them from our perspective and Russians of the Mir, Ukrainians, Georgians and Belarusans would be seen as kinda both(which is one reason why any pushback from them is a red rag to a bull), Poles, Mongolians, Latvians etc when under their yoke the latter. So long as they played ball. They're two different words. It's one way how they integrated their empire all the way to the Pacific(along with mass plantation, among other things). Their version of the daftness of "unamerican" would be an ethnic Russian who questioned Mother Russia's current narrative. They wouldn't be true Russians for doing so. This was applied to the Bolsheviks trying to get rid of the Czar.

When we see vids of ordinary Russians either slavishly agreeing with putin and this war, in public at least(in such societies private and public can be very different things) this is a large part of it. It runs very deep in the culture, promoted for generations by their ruling class from the Czars, through Communism to putin to hold this vast empire together. To question, to have wrongthink, is much more a statement against your very nature of being Russian compared to an Irish person questioning Ireland however loudly. Some might view you as a prick, but you'd still be an Irish prick. The Russian rebels, mostly the young, pull the get out of gaol card of being "non political".

Thats what a TV show ran by the inmates of a loony bin would look like. 8 minutes of simpletons pretending to be intellectuals, fantasising and grinning like the idiots they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,427 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It seems Crimea was more European than Russian and was Russian for only a brief period.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

They should hold their position for another month. The now frozen ground will melt soon and there'll be a quagmire. This is bad news for any advanced russian battalions as they'll be cut off from supplies and unable to retreat. Any equipment within 40km of the front will be decimated when this happens. In the words of William Wallace in Braveheart "Hold....HOLD"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Lol

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Absolutely mindboggling that vatniks are still trying to use Douglas MacGregor as a source with any authority given his long history of wrong and, in many cases, abhorrent opinions. Then again I guess that's par for the course for any westerners platformed by RT. If Gary Glitter wanted to voice condemnation for NATO, Biden & Zelensky I'd say they'd definitely consider inviting him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Looks like Orwell Road's internet connection is back up for the weekend.

Anyway, I think Crimea should be given back to the Golden Horde, it's historically theirs.

• Advertisement

Okey dokey

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

And another thing, throughout the federation of Russia, ethnic Russians are not popular. Actually deeply unpopular might better describe it. If you happen to be an ethnic Russian taking a case against a local in one of regions outside Moscow, then good luck to you, you are going to need it, even if you are 100% in the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Can you clearly list out the factual information you speak of, with credible sources? Not sure what you're on about.

Educated by newly arrived proorcs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,427 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It seems Prigozhin is being stopped from recruiting prisoners from Russian jails as the Russian military themselves want these prisoners and not have their labour armies and penal battalions disappearing.

Vladimirskiy Central (chanson) was being taken away from the state to Wagner.

Which couldn't be allowed. Criminal culture is deeply rooted in Russian society and sung about. Songs about the criminal giving their life for country the "liberator convict". Of course it helps if seemingly the tradition is to keep one in three behind bars. All through history wars were fought and projects built by convicts in Russia.

It's culture Boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Simple question for you Chester. Do you support Putins invasion of Ukraine? Or do you support Ukrainians defence of their own Country?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭junkyarddog

More utter tripe from the russian media!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭blarney_boy

Was originally going to reply to the "but Crimea is Russia" bullsh*t but I see some of the more informed posters have already dealt with that issue:

TLDR: Crimea was the home of the 'Crimean Tartars' which going back to Peter the Great was coveted by the Russia state, Catherine the Great started their removal and Stalin post WWII completed 'the project'. Unfortunately when you remove the one ethnic group that understands how to cultivate the unique biome that is Crimea, what do you get? 50 years of famine (and mass starvation) hence why Kruschev was so eager to 'gift' this land back to Ukraine.

Now onto the Starlink SNAFU, a lot of you are jumping on the 'Elon Musk == Putinversteher' but my take is more nuanced. Glen Shotwell has said that Ukraine is welcome to continue using Starlink for military comms and civilian internet but the use of Starlink as a guidance system for drones strikes deep into Russian territory is a major breach of the license agreement (and by Russian territory I'm NOT talking about Crimea)!

So call me an 'Elonversteher' - SpaceX has their Starship 24 down in Boca Chica Texas fully loaded with hundred of tonnes of Liquid Methane and LOX awaiting the first orbital flight attempt in the next couple of weeks. If the Ukrainians use Starlink to facilitate a deep strike on Russia then they're obviously worried about the blowback, some Crazy Ivan puts an RGP into a fully loaded Spaceship then the explosion would be heard from west Cork (on a clear day).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

He's another Sepp Blatter utterly corrupt. Jesus it's impossible to find an organized sport that isn't rotten these days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement