Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Under-20's 2023

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,918 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A very hard fought win.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Why is Gunne playing like we're the ones chasing the game? Slow it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Shehal

**** me that was STRESSFUL but we got the win and that's all that matters!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

To beat a good French side while making a lot of errors is a good night's work.

Prendergast is excellent. Really impressed with the two McCarthys, Gleeson and Cooney as also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Last week out backs were playing second fiddle and we found a way to win. This week overall our forwards came out second best and we found a way to win.

Testament to coaching, set piece and belief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

By the skin of their teeth they somehow came with a win when completely out played in the second half. Credit were it is due for sticking in and getting the win.

That’s a really good win against a good French side.

Another really entertaining game.

Prendergast very deserving of MotM but lots of talent in that side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I feel like this team isn’t very well coached but massively talented. Which honestly is fine with me. Great win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Shehal

Strange really as we are usually brilliantly coached at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭blackcard

Could have gone either way, should have been way ahead at half time, scrum dominance changed then and Ireland couldn't manage the French maul. Prendergast was the star except for a few times he kicked the ball away. Still a huge achievement to beat a French underage team anytime

• Advertisement

I don’t think that’s a fair comment.

They’re young players who are going to make mistakes, who lack composure at times, but I don’t think there is anything to suggest the coaching is poor.

They absolutely beasted a huge French pack in some massive scrums tonight and had some really great moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Great for those young lads to hold their nerve and win the match. Prendergast looks a great prospect. I taught Evan O’Connell was excellent when he came on. Showed great maturity for an u19 taking over the lineouts and caught a great restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Rollicking match, very enjoyable. Plenty of errors and what not, but great resilience up against a massive and mobile opposition.

Fair dues all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Thought we got away with one there, maybe bailed out by the ref once or twice as well. Very abrasive game against an opposition that can match them, which is important for this side given how they just overpowered wales last week.

I think McCarthy is in danger of playing a little too much like his brother with the needless penalties which can hopefully be coached out in time. He plays a little loose at times as well - going himself randomly around the ruck, slightly ambitious offloads, etc - which isn't really a bad thing and as long as he makes a conscious effort to improve when he goes for it. Sometimes takes contact very upright with no momentum which sort of negates that explosive power he has. Tonight he was getting into a wrestling match with heavier forwards which is rarely advisable no matter your strength.

Prendergast or Mangan were my MOTM. Mangan showed great footwork in tight spaces to squeeze out much needed meters when there wasn't much on. Prendergast showed great kicking and began to get players on to the ball later in the game. Really excited about him, but I have a terrible track record with 10's - so apologies in advance to leinster fans.

Don't want to be too harsh on the outside backs because it's just going to be a lot of rehashing the same points each week but are any of them definite future academy players. As an Ulster fan I'm a little worried that Telfer (already contracted to our academy) can't get a look in. I thought Cooney showed some shrewdness in hitting gaps but overall they don't feel like a threat to break the line or in the outside channels.

Anyway, that was a little too negative. Managed to score a couple of scrum penalties against a huge french u20 team. Never thought I'd see the day. Two for two, nice one.

I think they beasted a french pack because we have a way more physically talented pack than normal.

You’re right though. Maybe, I could rephrase that and say this is a more talented but more raw team than last year. Last year’s team was more developed but not as talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Frustrating again at times, but you have to give them credit for finding a way to win there. Prendergast again was a standout, the best under 20s 10 I have seen for us in some time. Really looking forward to seeing how he develops.

That's 18 wins in the last 20 games for us in this competition, dating back as far as 2019. Probably would have been even better had the 2020 championship not been cut short when we were sitting on three wins from three. Incredible consistency considering the natural turnover of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Is Prendergast off to Connacht?

Jackman was wrong on some of those penalties - for example the one before the second French try was on McNabney for not rolling away but Jackman called it on McCarthy.

Ref clearly signalled and said “not rolling” though.

The other one he got pinged for was the neck roll that was a patently wrong decision - neckroll was on the Irish player.

I think the comments on him are a bit overly negative - he had another monster game tonight. Made a huge amount of hits, dominant in the scrum in the first half especially, scored another try he’d no right to score. He’s an elite talent.

Would agree on the outside backs. I think Hugh Gavin looks more like a centre. Others seem to be lacking a bit of spark / pace but Cooney was good tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

His brother is there, Leinster have Sexton , Byrne, Byrne, frawley, tector, so people jumping to conclusions.

I'd assume he's staying and some of those above him will move on. He travelled with the firsts to Gloucester in Europe so he's clearly rated.

Not many players leave Leinster when Leinster are showing a keenness to keep them

• Advertisement

I’d say you can remove Harry Byrne just for injury proneness, and Tector because he just doesn’t seem the same level. So, he does have a clear shot at number 3 after sexton leaves… and then you are in the mix.

If I was Connacht, i’d offer him a senior deal right now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Seems to be, he goes there for 2/3 years and plays a load of rugby, heads back to Leinster ready to own the 10 jersey.

I watched a couple of Mccarthy's UCD games online and their scrum was put under a lot of pressure, so it was great to see him do so well against his peers.

I know the penalties werent actually given against him but I thought he shouldve been pinged anyway. One of our players held him back from trying it again in our 22 I think.

Agree that he's an elite talent though. Ireland is very short on prop depth imo, so its great to have a genuine standout prospect there.

Cooney is a little small, but I think leinster will pick him up. He seems very well rounded and leinster aren't afraid of smaller outside backs as long as they're skilled. I'd like to see what he can do as part of a better backline.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭kita99

aluablevToo short appearance for Barrett. I think that he will be in future a valuable TH for Ireland and connacht. I regret no appearance of both reserve HBs. Especially SH at tonight was seemed not good enough (maybe under huge pressre by France). Can West used at another position at next chance. He has very good sense on rugby imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Amazing the number of bandwagon hoppers showing up here on match night, who couldn't be bothered in between matches.

Not using subs in a development game is questionable to me, I’ll be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

Paddy Mccarthy doest play for UCD so not sure what games you were watching

Maybe he meant Boyle? But he only played one game this year i think.

Yea must have been Boyle I'm thinking of. He might have played more been hes gone of injured in the first half if i remember correctly. Maguire plays for them as well i think.

Trinity have streamed some of their games as well in fairness so its possible i mixed them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Imagine jumping on a thread about U20's when there are actual U20 games to discuss and performances to appraise.

Advertisement