Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballpark cost of fixing damage

• 09-02-2023 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

I know it would be more helpful if I had an actual picture of the damage (just internet picture) but just want to prepare myself for the phone call from my mate.

Moved his van for him at the builders provider when helping him collect stuff for my house. Long story short I was distracted by someone to the left and went around a corner too tight (and I guess fast) and whacked bottom lower side of van off a a protective metal column

Made shite of side of van as far as the wheel - bumper came off and below that is very bent in along the way. It will have to be replaced from the bumper down at a minimum.

Obviously I just have to pay what the damage is (which is appropriate, I'm completely in the wrong) but could anyone give me an idea of ballpark cost so I can steel myself. Its a ford transit

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Go through the insurance. That will cos serious bucks.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭thewiseowl12

Thanks for reverting. Its not my mates fault and I don't want him to have to use his insurance so if I have to pay for it what could the potential cost be? A lad at the place shook his head and told me I've probably just cost myself 2 grand but I don't know whether thats accurate or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mk7r

Its impossible to say without seeing i but it could easily be 2 grand plus depending

Thank you very for reverting, I'll try and get a picture.

I actually think the damage is worse than I had remembered. 3 panels affected.

Any thoughts on ballpark costs would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

That looks a nasty enough gash. You won't get that fixed for 2k. Not a hope. At least not fixed properly anyway. You actually torn apart some of the panel seams/welds and that complicates things.

Are you insured separately on your own car? Does your own car insurance cover you do drive other vehicles? If so, you might be able to put it through your own insurance.

What age is the van? Unless it is pretty new, you could be looking at it being a complete write off insurance wise.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

Thanks for reverting, though the news is not ideal! No I've checked, my insurance is only third party. Van is pretty new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It kinda depends where you go, and how by the book they’re gonna repair it. as it’s a van it’s kind of a given that they get damaged like that. Anywhere from €2500 to €7000 is my own guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

A good panel beater could that have as good as new for less then 1k .More lads will make a big job of it take your pictures around to reliable panel beaters and ger a price .Try the one man bands that work for cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

You could get out with e2,500-3,000 with cash n hand

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

That's an insurance job.

Van owner claims on own insurance & then you offer to offset the difference in his future insurance until it's normalised or no claims restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ninap

It’s a feckin van. Doesn’t need to be perfect. One panel. I agree with poster above who says you could get it patched up and sprayed, and stick the

trim back on for a grand

But it's not your van and it's not the ops van. The owner deserves it back in the same condition as it was before, it looks pretty fresh so value would still be high on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

3 panels and ripped at wheel arch.

To do right, that's serious money.

Very unusual situation to arise.

The main point here is it's up to the owner to decide where it gets repaired. People saying price around for cheapest cowboy to patch it up are dreaming. The owner may well be happy to price around but totally his decision.

Only way out is to ask him to get it priced up and go from there.

It's going to be 3k minimum surely and could be 2 to 3 times that if it was a by the book repair.

If it was a 5k repair, depending on what policy your mate has, he might agree to take a reasonable payment from you to cover Insurance costs and put it through his insurance.

It's a case of being reasonable with mate and hoping he is reasonable with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

The best fix here is not to remove or replace all the panels. The front panel can be repaired and two smaller sections on panel 2 and 3, can be cut and new sections put in. The fact that damage is all at or below trim piece is an advantage. I really doubt if worth changing the complete panels. In fact it will do more harm than good. If done properly will look fine and yes not as good as original but it won’t be noticeable . In 2 or 3years time it will be like every other white van with battered panels and both front doors knackered from getting caught in the wind.

Post edited by Needles73 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

3k min or 6k to 9k for ‘by the book repair’ ?? No doubt the op could find somebody to take this kind of money off them but it’s not a hard crash repair at all for a trained person.

As another poster said one or two small panels cut out and welded back and the other repaired. Total parts probably less than 500 quid. One days work to fix it up ready for paint and then painting which is going to be cheap as it’s a small area and easy to blow in. Get a couple of quotes from good body shops. It’s a Renault Master not a Bugatti and it didn’t leave the factory day one with amazing paint

I would disagree re claiming off insurance anyway - for five years the premium will be higher by avg of 500+ a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

I would have thought that the damaged piece could just be cut out and a new metal panel welded in, and replace the plastic trim?

This is reminding me of when somebody crashed into my car, I was getting ‘by the book’ quotes for like €2.5k and €3k for a minor scratch. Ended up getting a great job done for €500. I assume the same applies here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

How old is the van, looks maybe 10 years old to me? Have you asked your mate does he want it done proper or just look ok? If it's the latter someone will make that look good for a 1-1.5k cash imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Who’s to say that repair panels are available, you might be only able to buy the full height panel.

Go to a Renault dealer parts department, they’ll tell you the actual cost of the panels that are available, and work from there.

If some “mate” damaged my van, I wouldn’t want some spurious panelbeater bashing it out and lashing on the filler for €1000, I’d want it done right.

• Advertisement

Agree that if that was in the trade and being prepared for sale, that kind of cash would have it back on a forecourt.

To do it with new panels though will be big big money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya but it's a van at the end of the day not a car. If it was my van I wouldn't care as long as it looked the part.

As I said it's up to the owner what he wants done.

It would be straightforward to get a section from a breaker and pick the panel and fit the sections in. Yes a few hours labour. Yes the proper job is complete new panels but it I really think it doesn’t warrant it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

At least he may have learned the lesson not to let mates drive his van. The only way that'll get 'done right' is if he goes through his insurance. Does he trust his mate to caught up for additional premium

Ya but to anyone with any bit of an eye at all, a ball of fillers will be easily spotted.

You aren’t using a good body shop then. The front panel will mostly come back into shape, if done properly will only need the lightest of fill. Cut in two pieces for the rest . We aren’t throwing on filler with a shovel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Insurance really adds up when you have to factor in a replacement vehicle ,like the van could be out of action for up to a week .Same story can the van be done without for X days needed to repair it as itbia a work vehicle

No issue with light skim of filler but the people suggesting it's thrown back together means there will be more filler than there's should be and it will be a complete botch.

Most repairs, good and bad can be seen. The good ones won't be spotted by the average punter. A van panel filled and painted up as cheap as possible will be visible to all bar the clueless type who can't tell a clean car from a rough one.

Advertisement