Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

Actually he won most of that in 17 years

as Anthony Daly said his grand mother would have managed them

how about his management for the 5 in Rowe

turned it into a circus the one time he actually had to manage team he could not do he totally fucked up playing players that were totally unfit to play where was his great saying it’s all about the panel

not sure of year think 99 he made another **** up taking of John power and let one Corcoran go on and beat us

how about down in thurles against Waterford in extra time he took of 3 players injured and then put them back on

fact when fogarty left him he won nothing

look at his miserable efforts to put a midfield partnership together kept picking his club mate

anyone that would know anything about hurling would have knowing the partnership he put out last year in midfield would not succeed

young kenny one of the best hurlers we have for quiet sometime he had not a clue how to use the young lad

so if lyng going to change style we play he needs to pick hurlers and not runners

last thing on Cody he the same manager that got rid of one of the greatest hurlers ever in cha just because of his size

and the biggest **** up he made us he wanted to get rid of TJ only people got Tj to change his mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

We don't need another break down about how poor every player in the squad is.

They came within a couple of points of winning the all Ireland last year and now by your account half the starting team shouldn't be on the panel, absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

There was a similar poster to this recent one in the past, who continuously insulted Brian Cody. It's solution was to bring in Mickey Walsh! To suggest that, you'd have to be related to the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Really? I never heard anyone from Galway say that. In fact, just this week they pleaded to be finally allowed in to Leinster minor and openly conceded this move would inevitably result in them winning less All Irelands.

Anyway, that's not the point I'm making, getting straight to an AI semi-final (and occasionally a final even) is an advantage. Winning weak provincial championships to even qualify for a semi isn't. Look at Kilkenny's AI record, far far better when they had to beat strong Leinster opposition. We could easily have gone 22 years without an AI without two 1 pt wins, and regularly had our asses handed to us.

Some of those Kilkenny teams had all-time greats on them but they just weren't able for the Munster winners in the 40s and 50s.

The rate at which we have won AL’s since Wexford emerged in the 1950s is miles better than it had been previously. The feeling being that if we could beat Wexwe will be able for anything Munster throws at us.

The same can be said with Kerry, look how their semi and finals record improves when Cork are able to put it up to them, 70s 80s Noughties. But only 1 AI from 2009 to 2022 when Cork (for the most part) were weak. Just one AI from 10 rovincial wins (most of them cakewalks).

And this isn’t a pop at Munster (which at present has 5 fairly strong teams while Leinster has no more than 3), but plenty Munster winners have flopped in AI series after winning provincial titles in a canter.

You can of course win AI’s after coasting through your province. but on balance, it’s nowhere near the advantage it might appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

You're wasting your time with that poster my friend, has a history of being very bitter towards Kilkenny.

When Galway had the easiest province of all and basically went straight into an all ireland semi final they didn't win very much but when Leinster was weak it was perceived as an advantage to Kilkenny... Go figure.

The fact of the matter is anytime KK won an all ireland it was because they were the best team in the country and the same goes for a winner from any other province.

• Advertisement

Post edited by Grats on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Great to see Shane Walsh starting I hope it goes well for him. Most of us agree he would be a big help if he can translate his good club form

Full back line is all o loughlins and again heary is a good hurler.

Big step up for cillian doyle who played for kierans last Saturday but great to see new lads getting a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

KKvTipp

A Tallis

M Butler H Lawlor C Heary

C Buckley P Walsh D Corcoran

P Deegan K Doyle

W Walsh B Ryan C Kenny

B Drennan M Keoghan S Walsh Subs

E Murphy

D Blanchfield

D Dunne

P Moylan

C Fogarty

S Murphy

A Murphy

P Cody

J Donnelly

G Dunne

I Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Re Sundays team despite one man giving out about the same lads playing, Lyng and the lads not afraid to throw the chaps in. Drennan starting again and after Dunne has played a few games Killian Doyle gets in at midfield. I've posted plenty that I thought it was too early for the 3 of them and they wouldn't be physically ready but will be happy to be proved wrong.

Tipp with a very experimental team as well.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Good to see Conor Fogarty back in contention

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Some might not like it 😁

Fuckem, village and the village idiot 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

Galway people used to maintain that their situation was a big disadvantage. Time has shown otherwise.

As for Kilkenny, the historically weak opposition in Leinster 2006-09 didn't kill them.

I couldn't comment on the 40s and 50s to be honest but the idea that teams to better against stronger opposition makes no sense. If a team plays enough strong teams the likelihood is they'll eventually be beaten.

So?

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭murtyd17

Brutal stuff - how did he think he'd get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

A bit unfair on young Doyle. A lot of pressure on the chap, still u20, in the middle of schools hurling and the leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Well to be fair by starting Sunday his chances of a scholarship, which were probably already fairly high, just went way up so barring injury I'm sure he'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Good man Comerman. I base my opinions on what I see. All I remember of Conor Fogarty is making a hurler of the year out of Austin Gleeson. You must be related yourself. When Micheal Fennelly left the squad it was Conor Fogarts time to step up. He has been awful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

In fairness having the manager from your club helps. As we seen with Cody

Not related and don't know the chap from Adam I just feel your constant criticism is a bit over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

No point in interacting with him, Cody is gone now so attention has turned to Deegan and Fogarty.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

Agreed on that, seen him hurl few times last year and is a very good talent but I would still say it's a bit too early for him. Hope he goes well though.

Reputation? Only if people insist on putting haloes on hurlers. They have the same human faults, weaknesses, temptations and challenges as the rest of us. Maybe more temptations and challenges than most in many respects as in the need to be seen to be successful in all spheres after a successful on field career. Plenty of suffering on all sides in these cases I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Did he use his reputation to run a scam? If so that's far different altogether, I don't think you could defend either him or his sister at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

That poster would argue the sky is green if you said it's blue so don't worry about it

I'm not defending anyone. I'm simply saying that the world is full of scammers and people who got in over their heads. The fact that one alleged scammer happened to play hurling is not a great reason to play it out through speculation and guesswork on a forum such as this. In almost every facet of life people trade on reputation whatever that might be - who they know, the company they work for etc.

I'd say the least convincing reputation in financial matters for a person thinking rationally is that "I was quite good at sport once". So Caveat Emptor in that regard.

And I wouldn't be sure someone using their reputation in nefarious activities makes it any better or worse. The same damage is done. However, if it is the case it might be no harm for people to reflect on what gives public figures reputations which can be exploited? Usually probably very little of broader significance that tells you anything about their character.

Accidents of geography such as someone being from your own county does not confer magical status on them either. "Heroes" should be chosen carefully. There's far too much of the "gentleman off the pitch" nonsense spoken. This might be a good example of the naivety of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭conor05

All managers are the same.

Liam Sheedy gave Robert Byrne from his own Portroe any amount of chances even though everyone knew he wasn’t up to it.

Helped Darren Gleeson up the ladder too, though Gleeson was very good.

If it’s a 50/50 between two lads A manager will pick his own club man more often than not.

Advertisement