Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closest possible investment trust to U.S market

Options
  • 10-02-2023 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭

I know the likes of Berkshire Hathaway has performed every bit as well as the S+P this past two decades but for me it’s too reliant on Apple for gains right now

I’d like to get as close as possible to an S+ P proxy ( if such a thing exists) ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

I've been pondering investing into Berkshire myself, and like you, kinda put off by the 41% Apple holding.

Obviously they buy and hold, but Apple shares have doubled in 3 years, more than tripled in 5 years, is that level of growth sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Not just that, you pay a premium for the Buffett effect, the “oracle of Omaha “ isn’t going to be around forever , Munger is older again

they invest a lot in banks ( Wells Fargo ) and the likes Coca Cola as well in a big way, neither likely to deliver big capital growth, Apple is the golden goose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Here's what you need - JPMorgan American Investment Trust PLC (LON: JAM)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Thanks , That’s by far the best option I’ve seen but it’s total holdings comes to 169 so it’s not completely a S+P proxy , performance going back over a decade is just as good however so I doubt I’ll find better outside an ETF ( which incurs horrible tax treatment)

thanks again

Post edited by Mad_maxx on

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

I guess because in the UK, Investment Trusts and ETF's are taxed the same so there's really no need for an IT manager to replicate an index.

JAM seems to be the closest but has a lot of blue chips missing; Visa, Meta, Exxon, Johnson and Johnson, Chevron, PayPal, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Netflix, Cisco, Verizon, Nike, McDonalds, Starbucks, Walt Disney.

There's the 'North American Investment Trust' which only hold 36 stocks, but they do say their portfolio consists predominantly of S&P 500 US equities.

BlackRock Sustainable American Income Trust hold around 50 stocks but, confusingly as per the name, only around 80% are American holdings. Some British and Japanese thrown in there.

Baillie Gifford have a US Growth Trust which contain a mix of listed and unlisted companies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement