Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Affairs chat thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It kind of reflects my feelings about Ireland v UK. When deciding on where you'd like to live, do you prefer people or rain? It's rain everytime for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,644 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Nicola Bulley thread closed. 🙄

It's like boards wants people to move to reddit.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To be fair, some posters were posting absolute nonsense blaming her disappearance on various people with no basis other than armchair speculation.

And the family asked very reasonably not to have to read the idle speculation online. I think it totally fair to give them privacy no matter what the situation is right now.

• Advertisement

What is "nonsense" though?

The family themselves saying she's not in the river is pure speculation.

They don't believe the police when they say she's in the river. That's idle speculation.

And the family can just stay away from reading things online then.

Anyways, I'm off to reddit to discuss this case where there's a whole sub dedicated to it and can freely discuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,730 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Assad demanding more help from the west for the earthquake relief.

I can assure you, any traumatic event in the ‘west’…. Assad and Syria wouldn’t be the first with their hands up to help.

There are well over 5 million Syrian refugees being housed, supported and financed throughout Europe.

it seems like the EU is viewed by some as the golden goose of charitable organisations. That when X bad thing happens… “ ohh call the EU, they have to help “. The rich uncle.

one of the published goals of the EU, critical goals is to promote peace, its values and.. “the well-being of its citizens”… but.. The citizens Ukraine, Syria, and anywhere else seem to come first.

Saudi Arabia and The UAE are two of the richest countries on the planet. Why can’t they just sort it out for a change.. EU have done plenty, for everyone,

but plenty never seems to be enough… as seen with The Ukranian situation, it is MORE MORE MORE… now Syria on the phone….

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

More posts were deleted than remain visible. Now if you have an issue with moderation approach a mod via PM. Do not raise it in a thread like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nicola Bulley: Police find a body in River Wyre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Jayzuz- you know you’re getting old when Roman Keating becomes a grand father

Im going off to drown my sorrows 😀

but best wishes to the new dad and family

Maybe because they're so removed from the church and european stranglehold by the church (churches) it baffles me that when I talk to Americans, they prefer The Holy Grail over Life of Brian.

They are wrong, right? I thought Holy Grail was, yknow, funny and subversive, but not nearly as put together and hard hitting as life of brian (took some balls to lampoon Jesus Christ)

so you can be in a position of such sizeable responsibility, sexually assault a young person under your command… be arrested, go to court and not only walk free, but walk without a criminal conviction to your name….judge about as useful as a condom with an air vent.

no mitigation whatsoever from what I’m seeing. The  "You're lucky it wasn't 14 or 15 years ago” comment should have been the catalyst to have seen a nailed on criminal conviction and suspended sentence at minimum. Showed his absolutely scummy horrible mindset.

judiciary are just so divorced from reality and serving the principles of justice and the citizens of this country it’s unfunny….it’s like a disease with them.

constantly constantly falling towards favouring the perpetrators of crime and the establishment…..probably the judge leaning to help a fellow person in a position of authority, state hierarchy etc… corrupt kip…

So the pedestrianisation of Dublin.

A taxi driver walking down Capel St earlier. Filming all around him.

absolutely like a ghost town there. Ever since I’ve known the area as a child it’s been a hive of activity, plenty of businesses, shops, restaurants, pubs, banks, tailors, barbers, DIY shops, travel agencies…just off from the bustling fruit markets… Capel St….almost deserted now….like a ghost town… nobody there, very very sad, but these are the times with total know nothings running the city / country.

if you use tiktok neilmurray45… worth a look…

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Capel St has been a kip for years with constant traffic congestion. How was that more inviting to people that what is in place now?

Rather than the opinions of some random, presumably disgruntled, driver, I'd rather hear about the effect of pedestrianisation from local business owners!

This is great to see but we really need to see a lot more of it - and also should be no bail and stiffer sentences- burglaries have gone way down the “serious” list of crimes but when they happen it can have a devasting effect on people - it’s nearly seen as just junior school for career criminals

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/three-suspected-members-of-notorious-burglary-gang-arrested-after-high-speed-dublin-chase/a475588320.html

Errr I would hardly call Mr Murray disgruntled… his tiktok has mostly been used dually for his comedy purposes and more lighthearted and humorous social observations on life… with an occasional more serious aside.

From what I’ve read, bars and cafe owners like it as they get outdoor seating $$$$$. Everyone else on Capel st… both clients those business think it’s a ball-ache. My dad for decades has been buying stuff in Lenehans and McQuillians hardware shops for example…. Can’t get near it to get parking now…a guy in his 80’s isn’t going to be lugging hardware around a kilometer to the Iilac centre or off on a bus. Even for younger people that’s an unnecessary burden.

place from a lot of reports is like a ghost town from a shopping viewpoint. It’s not supposed to be just ‘inviting’… it’s been a notable retail and business area for decades… hardwear, workwear, DIY upholsterers, furniture shops, electrical, banks, medical practises…. Im sure anyone with a movement disorder is grateful to now have to walk to the medical centre or other destination…as opposed to getting dropped or driving… 😏

Driving, Glenariff is an hour north of Belfast, located high on the northeast coast of Ireland…

very odd that none of the RAF bases in Scotland or North West England were tasked with providing aircraft…none of the UK based press mention anything aerially aside from the Aer Corps….

hopefully the government send them the bill as opposed to .. “ ahhh sure, ahhh sure, it’s nice to be nice, da state / taxpayers shall pick up the bill, sure.”

Operating costs of that aircraft are about 3700-4000 euros per hour…. So about the guts of 10 grand in terms of just positioning the aircraft from and back to Dublin. Time fighting the fire, positioning for refuelling…positioning for taking on water … etc,,,,you’d be looking at a six figure bill…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

It’s just not that busy, it needs more things to draw people. I passed through it on Saturday afternoon a few weeks ago and frequently pass by on Saturday nights. It seems less busy than before the pedestrianisation of it. They need to get more suitable businesses in if they want it to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Sounds very far fetched to be honest, i.e. a load of people complicit in the sexual assault. Not really likely is it?

Too much smoke around him for it not to be a fire at this point. Even if this case is not true the last one very much did. It’s not helped by him hanging around with known gangsters. He’s a national embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,608 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Musta been taken down afterward.

What's the bingo card at this year: did anyone have china balloons, woke orcas, UFOs, Russian coup and Israel invading Palestine on their bingo card?

I always wonder about these type of disappearances, why they don’t try and raise awareness of letting friends or family members know where you are going? From my time online dating some women would snap a picture of us together to let a friend know where she was and who she was with. It seemed pretty practical.

What does a Potatoe Man do. And why does my autocorrect hate Potatoe

The spelling of potatoe, while not terribly common, existed for almost the entire 20th century

Good enough for me /add to dictionary, that won't be a problem later

Thanks I hate it.

Lovely to see these fat ugly hillbillies getting nice loooooong sentences- doubt they’re laughing now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Is there a thread about the PSNI data breach ? I can’t believe that there’s members of it that family and friends and wider community don’t know what they do ?

Advertisement