Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do most houses in Ireland have no GAS, only electricity?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,756 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can hear the noise (PWM I suspect) of the circuitry inside an induction hob which is absolute torture if batch cooking for a few hours. Apparently you don't hear it as much / at all the older you are but I'm not particularly young anymore!

Only really affects lower settings, the individual hob circuits aren't as loud when on full, but then the cooling fan is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I know a lad who works in Gas Networks Ireland and he told me that they already can't do new connections for central heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Brilliant for outdoor work I'd say. I cook mussels outdoors on a gas hob. I'm terrified I'll poison the family & friends when it's windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a lot of variability between different makes of hobs. Mine is quite quiet, apart from when the fan kicks in, and when in Power mode for boiling, but I've come across some that really whistle loudly even for me who is also no spring chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Oh yeah, the end is definitely coming I just wasn't sure if there were any stated dates in Ireland. I think here in the UK it's proposed that no new builds will have gas boilers beyond 2025 - not sure if enforced tbh. I think most are ASHP at this stage anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭blarb

We just got a house connected to mains gas for central heating for the first time in January. Have they stopped since then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

For most people in Ireland, a mains electricity outage also means no solar panel generation and probably no battery discharge either. Or you can do those things (without setting up a backup circuit in the house) and fry an ESB linesman somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Yep working in the industry and most of the gas boilers sold now are repair/replacement as opposed to new connections. It's not fully there yet but builders are trying to appeal to people being conscious of using fossil fuels so are putting solar panels on houses, electric car chargers & heat pumps as opposed to gas/oil.

You can still opt to do that if you are building your own house or even if you want to get a current house connected. It's €250 to connect to the mains as long as you are within 15 metres (I think) of the main gas line. After that it's an extra amount per metre. That just covers the connection & the outside box. You'd then have to retrofit the gas boiler & all the internals for a house so a fair bit of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Gee, wish there was some product that could solve this problem

• High pitched noises are caused by thin metal pots. If you’ve a decent induction hob the only noise from the unit itself is relays or the fan.

If it’s a thin, larger pot it can resonate like a speaker and make high pitched noises.

You won’t hear anything from a proper density of stainless or cast iron.

As for gas or oil being an alternative to electricity in a power outage, try getting a gas or oil boiler to work and heat radiators without electricity …

Modern (post 1960s) gas ovens usually require a source of electricity too. You might be able to light a simple gas hob or maybe a gas fire if you have one but that’s about it.

If you’ve regular power outages in a rural area somewhere due to storms, solid fuel stove is probably the only simple solution or get a back up generator. Tbh they really aren’t that much of an issue in Ireland unless you’re practically living off grid. The power network is very stable and reliable here compared to what I’ve experienced living in North America. We used to experience lot of brown outs (low voltage faults) over there.

If you’re living in an urban area in Ireland, power outages are as rare as hens’ teeth and are usually due to something very exceptional. I’ve experienced maybe 4 brief power outages in my entire lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I’ve experienced maybe 4 brief power outages in my entire lifetime.

I've experienced at least 4 outages of several hours in the past 6 months! I do suspect that there is a dairy farm or similar in the area somewhere that is drawing a lot of power on a dodgy system that is mostly responsible, but the last outage was down to a fairly minor storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Windy weather is the major cause of power cuts in rural areas. Construction work is the major cause of power cuts in urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Apart from Ireland being a very rural country compared to the UK (where almost every house is heated by gas )

we have the phenomenon of “ one off housing “ plastered across the countryside so gas isn’t really practical in those circumstances

Advertisement