Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

I’ve honestly noticed this myself. Any site that allows comments is riddled with pro russian rubbish. I wondered if that is the general view of ordinary Europeans/Irish and came to the conclusion it’s not, as anyone I know, both here and abroad has nothing but disdain for the kremlin.

Post edited by Slava_Ukraine on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,510 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The Russian trolls / right wingers / conspiracy theorists are hugely over-represented on social media. They are very loud and vocal and try to give the impression there are many millions of them (and they even claim to be the "silent majority"), but in reality it's just the same cranks and crackpots churning out thousands of tweets and comments over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dtothebtotheh

I just don’t believe it’s purely about imperial expansion. This has been very costly for Russia, I’m not sure if taking eastern Ukraine would be worth it for them.

Generally with wars, I’d follow the money trail, I just can’t see how it’s beneficial for Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

They have no interest in winning an argument really it's just to frustrate the regulars enough for them to take a break and then poison the well. This thread won't let that happen anyway. Twitter and tiktok are already infested but they have no real moderation so I don't bother there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

I think it is possible to have Ukraine as a member of nato but with no nukes. After all, Russia has nukes and is right beside Ukraine. So a non nuclear Ukraine seems fair to me, provided people are willing to be growed up and responsible. No more dictators for Russia. They need a senate.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭briany

Seems like it's one man's war, primarily. Not that this one man is doing any of the actual fighting.

If we consider how small Russia's economy was relative to its size, even before Ukraine was poised to pivot westward, it makes me question the pure economic incentive for war, taking the concept of war as a way requisition resources. Say the conflict goes on for five years - it could leave Russia's economy even smaller than it had been.

If we go over to Russia's security concerns... They have NUKES. Thousands of NUKES. World ending amounts of NUKES. The idea of needing to push their borders until they hit natural obstacles is thinking that belongs in the 19th century when it was relevant (cue quip about Russian mindsets being stuck in that century). Once again, no one can ever invade Russia, even if the whole territory is literally surrounded by NATO countries.

UK lost almost every plane it sent up during the battle of Britain but they had far less losses in pilots than the Germans because they floated down over England or the English channel. Brits got their men back but the Germans didn't. The very same thing is playing out in Ukraine. When those soviet tanks are hit they all die inside 99% of the time no survivors. all these new tankers sent in are rushed through like all the others hence the column that was massacred a few days ago.

Even if by some miracle they could conjure 1000 t-90s would the hell could use them efficiently in 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭MudSpud

You don't seem to care much about people's aspirations for their own destiny if that contradicts your opinions of where borders should run. Since 1783 Crimea was part of Russia. The people of Crimea are predominantly ethnic Russians in language and culture. After 1917 Crimea was still part of Russia but in the context of the larger USSR. In 1954 Khruschev ceded Crimea to the Ukrainian SSR in a cheap vote winning bid. This was totally against the wishes of the Crimean people. But after assurances that their status would not be affected as they were still under the umbrella of the USSR and ruled by Moscow, they reluctantly and grudgingly accepted the situation. Things changed dramatically for them in 1991 when the USSR broke and they found themselves isolated and ruled by Kyiv. They made repeated attempts at secession and to rejoin Russia but these attempts were blocked, delayed or went unanswered. After 2014 the pro-Westerrn puppet government of Yatsenyuk and his administration started to make life very difficult for Russians within Ukraine's borders, banning the Russian language, seizing the pensions of Russian OAPs, etc. and attempting to send gangs of far-right thugs and Ukrainian military personnel to Crimea to terrorise the population and seize the Sevastopol naval base, ostensibly to hand it over to NATO and evict Russia from it's only warm water naval port. This is where the situation rapidly metastisized. Russia sent troops to defend the port and convened a referendum on Crimea returning to Russia. And the rest is history.

So from 1783 until today, some 240 years, Crimea has been part of an independent Ukraine for a grand total of 23 years and in that blink-of-an-eye period they have been relentlessly seeking to leave Ukraine and rejoin Russia.

Post edited by MudSpud on

Ah will you ever just go hang yourself ya pathetic slave

Vladimir Putin has described Crimea as Russia’s “center of spiritual unity.” In reality, it has been home to more than 100 nationalities, and was brutally “Russified” by Joseph Stalin in the 1940s.

One of those nationalities, the Crimean Tatars, have called the peninsula home for many centuries. They remained there even after Catherine the Great’s victory over Ottoman forces in 1783.

But in 1944, Joseph Stalin formally ordered the deportation of the entire Crimean Tatar community (roughly 200,000 in number), falsely accusing them of collaborating with the Nazis. Stalin’s government forcibly loaded most onto freight cars bound for Central Asia, where they were to be resettled. Reports suggest that nearly half of the deported died during the ordeal. Ukraine, Latvia, Lithuania, and Canada have all formally recognized Stalin’s brutal deportation as a crime of genocide or cultural genocide.

During this same period, the Soviet Union adopted a policy of “Russification” for the peninsula. Crimea was “Russified”: Any study of the Tatar’s native language was banned, ancient Tatar names were erased, Tatar books were burned, and their mosques were destroyed.

The next chapter in the saga occurred in the 1950s when Nikita Khrushchev transferred Crimea from Soviet Russia to Soviet Ukraine, ostensibly for administrative reasons. Tatar families were formally permitted to return to Crimea in 1967, and a few hundred families did over the following decade. They began moving back in larger numbers during the 1980s and 90s. In fact, by 1991, more than 150,000 Tatars had returned. But after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Crimea was suddenly a part of a new, separate country, to which several prominent Russian politicians vehemently objected.

Tatar fortunes took yet another dark turn when Russian forces moved to occupy Crimea in 2014. The occupiers immediately began a campaign of persecution against the Tatar community, “outlawing” the Crimean Tatar representative body (the Mejlis) and shutting down a Tatar television channel. The State Department subsequently has cited numerous human rights violations against the Tatar population, including torture, disappearances, and psychiatric abuse. Moreover, since the Russian occupation in 2014, about 10% of Tatars have fled to mainland Ukraine. Many of them have settled in Kherson—another Ukrainian city currently under threat by Russian forces.

Given the legacy of brutal treatment of Crimean Tatars and other nationalities by the Kremlin, President Putin’s reference to Crimea as Russia’s “spiritual holy land,” serves as a chilling reminder of what President Zelenskyy is up against.

I'll definitely start following his updates. Thx.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

UK lost almost every plane it sent up during the battle of Britain

Eh no, no they didn't.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

The dilemma of whether to continue posting and by proxy end up helping the Ukrainians, or not posting and giving us all some blessed peace is a win-win as far as I'm concerned.

Edit:

Runningrings and Mudspud should be proud of themselves!

Post edited by Addmagnet on

fairly sure the factories and lend lease couldn't catch up with the losses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Massive gas reserves in eastern Ukraine and around Crimea. Add in a big gas supply deal with China and you have your answer.

I can't answer the question. I haven't investigated the history of Kaliningrad. A cursory examination of high school history will show that it has been part of The Kingdom of Poland, Prussia, East Prussia, The Third Reich, The USSR and now Russia. I could say that I think it should be part of Armenia since 0.8% of the population are Armenian but that would be nonsensical. 80% of the population of about a million is Russian. All other ethnicities make up around or less than 1% of the demographic. In the most recent census 13.9% didn't state their ethnicity. So with that in mind I can only assume that the majority of the people of Kaliningrad want to be part of Russia.

Post edited by MudSpud on

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

Putin published an essay in july of 2021 (Titled: On the historical unity of Russians and Ukrainians) where he claims Russians, Belarussians and Ukrainians are one people, and that Ukraine isn't a legitimate state, imperialism 101.

If Putin unites Belarus, Ukraine and Russia into one Great Russia thats an extra 50 million people plus the resources of Ukraine all to the kremlin, there's your money trail. The reason its costly for Russia now is Ukrainian patriotism and bravery, Putin didn't expect that.

I've actually seen an interview with that guy Justin. Very captivating stuff.

Can you tell me exactly how you access RT.com because I can't access it in Ireland via a regular internet connection. Neither can my friend in another part of the country or another friend in the UK.You say you can access it, no problem and I say I can't, and you're accusing me of lying when I say that it's blocked. Maybe some others can tell us, honestly, if they can access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It's a cesspit of lies. As is Stormfront. Accessing them likely gets them revenue. Why do you want to access them? Both are firm backers of politicians and ideologies that would destroy your life in Ireland, given the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No body in Ireland uses the term high school history....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nope. Quite the opposite. It was the Germans who couldn't keep up with the operational losses. They were rapidly running out of spares and many units were running at half strength. Production output of British aircraft went up during the Battle of Britain and US to UK Lend Lease hadn't even started yet. The ratio of German to British aircrew losses averaged 4 to 1. In reality and short of just giving up it was damned near impossible for Britain to lose the BoB

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Well you gave away that you aren’t in Ireland by referring to “high school”, so I won’t be wasting my time entertaining you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I take it your post was directed at me and not the other poster (runningrings..)

If I wasn't in Ireland but wanted to pretend that I was, couldn't I just get a friend to pop down to Centra and take this pic you talk of and then send it to me and I upload it?

I agree, Putin definitely underestimated both the Ukrainian an the Wests response to the invasion. Putin seems happy enough for Belarus to remain a puppet state and had probably planned for the same in Ukraine. He must be awfully misinformed, even if Russia did take Kyiv, Russia would have partisan warfare on their hands for decades, to me it just doesn't seem like a logical move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

They had plenty of planes, shortage of pilots.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Another day another balloon burst.

There's currently not much more capacity to pipe gas into China, and China is an economy I can see shrinking in the medium term. Losing the EU has been terrible for Russia.

• Advertisement

Yes, I did mention that there is no chance of NATO invading Russia, and really it doesn't matter anyway where NATO borders are, there's nuclear armed submarines all over the place, so the location of silos isn't really that important I wouldn't have thought. Russia's economy is already smaller after a year and it will only get smaller. Putin got a bit too big for his boots after Crimea and Syria.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement