Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2023 - Ireland v France Match Thread, Sat 11th Feb, KO 2:15PM - TV: RTÉ2, ITV, France2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Found it interesting that we continually, purposely chose to keep the ball in play with our clearance kicks. Not the obvious way to play it against those French backs but the team trusted it's defence and by and large it worked and we massively restricted France's time in our 22 as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Re. Byrne, he's been very consistent this season but having watched every minute of him for Leinster I don't really think his game is at a higher level than it was last season or the season before (and you can read that as a compliment). I'm glad he's getting his chance now but it has taken far too long imo. But as of now he has put it to bed, he's Sexton's backup, he's going to the RWC, he'll start if Sexton is out.

Doris is in WPOTY sort of form. He's absolutely outrageous.

And gave them no breaks in play. They were really on the back foot the last ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Joma4good

Many many great performances today but both last week and this afternoon it was really pleasing to see James Ryan really back to his best, not flashy but so solid carrying and in the set piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think with Ross Byrne, when he plays well for Leinster, we just say "sure anyone would look good behind that pack" and don't give him enough credit. He was excellent today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just home, Jesus I enjoyed that so much, don’t care about what went wrong, any mistakes and of that! Enjoyed every fecking bit, had super French fans beside us, had great chat after. Will watch it again in the morning and digest it all then. Raging hadn’t my dad with me for that first half alone is why I absolutely love rugby.

seagulls in here tonight ‘suck my balls’

mods

apologies ban me tomorrow!

Allez les verts!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I think that is one of the best Ireland performances I've ever seen. Am I getting carried away?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

France and Toulouse both play the same way. They always kicked penalties when they get them. They did it last year in Paris too.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Hopefully that's just a precaution for Beirne

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yet they didn’t really threaten our line. I can’t think of any tries they left out there?

There was a time around 60 minutes where we looked tired. The bench made its impact though and we drove on from there.

France were relying on moments of genius from one or two players.

• Advertisement

Farrell said it "doesn't look good" for Beirne.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

True, reckon LAR would have kicked to the corner tho!

Keenan carried for 203 metres today. That's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Ah crap, the fact they have him in the boot isn't great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Panrich

Not great, but I'd prefer to see ankle problems rather than knee. An ACL would be the one to worry about so I'll take that as a glass half full scenario.

Farrell seemed quite downcast afterwards and implied he'd be going for a scan. I didn't see what happened - did he walk off?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Jesus lads ye are starting to sound as conspiratorial as Manchester City.

BBC showed just the scores just before the start of the 2nd half I doubt Gabby Logan knew much more then what was seen I thought they were up to date on the ire of Ireland fans. ITV an English station were also stunned it was not red. Tomorrow they will have there program where they talk about games they don't show

Well talking about Barnes in nothing but distain result in a bans like talking about Saracens (a joke)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hold my beer

So many positives today. Doris outrageously good, James Ryan too. Sexton reeling back the years and a joy to watch in full flight. Ross Byrne slotting in seamlessly. Bealham a colossus. Ringrose playing the rugby of his life. We're a bloody good side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Re Barnes, it was a red IMHO. Everyday of the week.

I'd like to think he will look back and think 'cock up'. At the end of the day he is human.

Some of the shite posted on here regarding him was frankly embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

That was a cracking game of rugby. 2 top quality sides going at each other. Really enjoyable. And I think some of the credit has to go to Barnes. He kept the whistling to a minimum and let them play. And that suited Ireland as they got to keep the tempo up.

On the card, could have been a red but I've seen those given as yellows as well. Porter on Rettallick and Cian Healy against Ulster were very similar and both were yellows.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Cracking game of rugby

No idea why people are so obsessed to talk about the ref, the hilarious bit was the French are saying they lost because of the ref

Best to just discuss the rugby!! IMO anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭techdiver

I'm getting tired of the bullshit criticism of "the atmosphere". I was there and I'll tell you there was no shortage of atmosphere!

It's a lazy complaint at this stage. Get some new material.

If a game is exciting the crowd will respond (as today). If it's shite then the same crowd response will result.

What a fuckin performance! Best performance I've witnessed at the aviva!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

It was really good and a great game to watch.

I think people saying it was one of the best performances ever and even seen some saying it's the best test match ever are going overboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Doris threw another outrageous offload earlier in the game as well. He's an outrageously good passer for a forward. Always has been, but he has improved something which was already a strength. That's a very rare quality to possess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Just back home relaxing with a cuppa. An incredible day, an incredible match, an incredible atmosphere and an incredible win, in doubt right up to Ringrose try. My 5/6 Nations games are in the hundred plus at this stage, that game was right up there. Great travelling support by French, good few tickets offloaded by clubs, which added to atmosphere. Onwards to Rome……!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

While we were great and our squad is great, it's worth pointing out a few things to show it's fine margins between winning and losing today.

1. Lowe was in touch for that try and it was an awful call for the TMO not to show the behind angle
    2. I thought at the time Bealhams pass looked close to being forward and was surprised it wasn't looked at. Looking at the slow mo, it's clear to me Bealhams pass was forward.
    3. There was a penalty won by McCloskey just 5 metres out at the start of the 2nd half. He went for the steal, then went off his feet. He didn't release the ball and got back to his feet. Barnes was looking at the other way for a second when he was off his feet. He then awarded a penalty to Ireland.

France's main goal is the home world cup. Wouldn't surprise me if they kept a few things up their sleeve they didn't want to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Margins at the top level are tiny. We were held up over the line several times. On another day we score one or two of those.

Dupont’s tackle on Hansen was incredible. I’m not sure any other player who would find themselves in that position would stop the score. He must be pound for pound the strongest player in contact in world rugby. Huge moment to keep France in the game.

And the biggest one, how on earth did Atonio avoid red? Rob Herring is 6ft 1. There was no dip from him on the carry. Atonio didn’t dip before the tackle. Stuck a shoulder in and caught him in the head. No wrap. Barnes said there was no high level of danger. Herring not being allowed back onto the pitch would contradict that statement. Puzzling. That’s exactly the type of tackle they were trying to stamp out.

Great game of rugby and delighted we were able to get through that tough patch after halftime and retake control of the game without the experienced heads of POM, Murray and Sexton.

• Advertisement

And Antonio could have seen red. There are always fine margins but at the end of the day we scored 4 tries to 1 and were held up over the line 4 times.

The better team won, just made hard work of it.

Advertisement